Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by YBYSAIAHokie View Post
    How many years out of his first six was VT on probation?
    At least the first two. The team had just gone on probation when he was hired.
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

3 cupcakes out of 12 (25%) vs 10 cupcakes out of 30 (33%). I rest MY case.

What's the difference?
    The difference is that making and winning in the (real) post season matters, as hard as you want to pretend like it doesn't.

By the time you get to Beamer's down year, he's made 4 straight bowl games, won the schools 2nd bowl game ever, and beat Texas in the Sugar Bowl - that alone buys you many, many years and goodwill during down years. Shoot, even in his "down year" Beamer finished second in the conference and went to his fourth straight New Year's day bowl...

There's just no comparison between SG and Beamer, none at all. Making and winning in the post season matters, and no making the NIT over and over again doesn't count especially when you never get past your own home court.

That said, this is getting fun - cherry pick some more data to try and get people to come up with false conclusions
    There's a difference between a "fact" and an "opinion that you agree with."

Quote Originally Posted by 133743Hokie View Post
    3 cupcakes out of 12 (25%) vs 10 cupcakes out of 30 (33%). I rest MY case.
    Do we get to count the cupcakes we beat in the NIT? Or are they considered "good" teams because they made it all the way to the NIT?.......typically, we get well over 30 games to get to our 20 wins, and it's helped by beating bad teams in the first rounds of the NIT.......
    "Don't give up......Don't ever give up." -- Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    we could ignore the most recent data all day? doesn't seem wise...I picked the 5 most recent years because that's what the OP seemed to be highlighting. Add the year before if you want: NCAA vs. Sofa...closes the gap, but I'll take those 5 bowl games in 6 years over 4 NIT's and an NCAA in 6 years...the NIT doesn't hold a candle to most of the bowls we've gone to

another difference would be 2 conference championships vs. none

another would be years with top 25 rankings at the end of the season
    I got the impresion the OP was talking about the slow to average starts of each.

Perhaps I was mistaken. And I would suggest the Independence Bowl is no different than an NIT bid.
    I will never understand people.
    They're the worst!

Quote Originally Posted by VPI63 View Post

1) Program on probation with limited schollies first 4 or 5 years
    2) No conference affiliation
    3) Worse FB than BB reputation, no national recognition whatsoever
    4) Worse facilities
    5) B'Burg was even more isolated
    6) Better assistant coaches
    7) Takes much longer to turn around FB program than BB program
    8) 8, 9, and 10th year showed definate improvement as measured by record, and bowl games
    9) We played in Sugar bowl in CFB's 10th year and beat Texas.
    10) You are in the the tank for CSG, but not in the tank for CFB for those years

LOL. Do you just make this stuff up?

1) This is a lie, it was two years.

And the Hussey/Stokes years were like going on probation for 5 years.

2) More intellectual dishonesty: having a conference affiliation didn't make a damn bit of difference at that time. In 1986 these other teams also "had no conference affiliation": Penn State, Miami, Florida State, Notre Dame, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Syracuse. Miami and Penn State played in the defacto National Championship game, with Penn State winning. The next year Miami won the National Championship, Florida State was #2 and Syracuse was #4.

3) BB had NO freaking national recognition at all when Seth took over. We had at most ONE single televised game every year. VT bball wasn't just an after-thought. It was a joke.

When Frank Beamer took over the football program, we had an Outland Trophy winner and #1 selection in the entire NFL draft two years prior; we had just won the first bowl game in school history, and we averaged 8 wins a year (0.727 record).

6) Better assistant coaches? Huh? This is just asinine.

Please stop being so intellectually dishonest. Or is it stupidity? Because sometimes they are hard to differentiate.

In one hand, I have some apples. In the other hand, I have some oranges.

What's the difference?
    Fixed that for you.
    When replying to a specific post, use Reply With Quote

Quote Originally Posted by VPI63 View Post
    1) Program on probation with limited schollies first 4 or 5 years
    2) No conference affiliation
    3) Worse FB than BB reputation, no national recognition whatsoever
    4) Worse facilities
    5) B'Burg was even more isolated
    6) Better assistant coaches
    7) Takes much longer to turn around FB program than BB program
    8) 8, 9, and 10th year showed definate improvement as measured by record, and bowl games
    9) We played in Sugar bowl in CFB's 10th year and beat Texas.
    10) You are in the the tank for CSG, but not in the tank for CFB for those years
    10 great reasons, and YBYSAIA either won't respond or will respond with nonsense. Your points are pretty much irrefutable.

I think number 8 is most significant. By years 9/10, Frank was rolling and having his best years yet. For Seth's tenure, year 4 was the peak and it has been either flatlining or downhill since then.

Quote Originally Posted by 48zip View Post
    I got the impresion the OP was talking about the slow to average starts of each.

Perhaps I was mistaken. And I would suggest the Independence Bowl is no different than an NIT bid.
    Right, the Independence bowl is no different than 1 NIT bid. But we're not talking about 1 NIT bid, are we? We're talking about 4.

Beamer Followed his 1 "NIT bid" with 4 NYD bowls in a row, including a win over Texas in the sugar. What would you equate post-seasonwise in basketball to winning the Sugar bowl against a Traditional Football powerhouse? I mean, that has to be *at least* a sweet 16 appearance if not a Sweet 16 win, right?

Quote Originally Posted by King of Hokies View Post
    Please stop being so intellectually dishonest. Or is it stupidity? Because sometimes they are hard to differentiate.
    Wow, you really stuck it to...4 of the 10 points he made.