Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 122
  1. #1

    Join Date
    October 09, 1999
    Posts
    39,463

    Comparing Greenberg's VT record with Beamer's VT record.

    Greenberg's record at VT:
    1514
    1614
    1416
    2212
    2114
    1915
    259
    2212

    1516

    18-13.5 avg

    Beamer's first 11 years:
    2-9
    3-8
    6-4-1
    6-5
    5-6
    2-8-1
    9-3
    8-4
    10-2
    10-2

    7-5

    6-5 avg

    Strikingly similar to Greenberg's. Started out slow. Broke out and had some great years. Then had an off-year (7-5).
    If you take his whole 'body of work', here's what you got: 6-5 Essentially a .500 coach.

    What's the difference?
    I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the screaming passengers in his car.

  2. #2
    Pylons's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25, 2005
    Posts
    7,003
    Quote Originally Posted by YBYSAIAHokie View Post
    What's the difference?
    Independence Bowl
    Gator Bowl
    Sugar Bowl
    Orange Bowl
    Gator Bowl

    NIT
    NIT
    NIT
    NIT
    Sofa

  3. #3

    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Location
    Chesterfield,VA
    Posts
    44,246
    Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    Independence Bowl
    Gator Bowl
    Sugar Bowl
    Orange Bowl
    Gator Bowl

    NIT
    NIT
    NIT
    NIT
    Sofa
    CFB - 2 post-seasons in 1st 8 yrs. CSG 6 post-season in 1st 8 yrs....

    .....haha....We could do this all day.
    I will never understand people.
    They're the worst!

  4. #4
    Hubman's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 01, 2003
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA (757!!)
    Posts
    8,990
    Holy crap.....I cannot believe we have another thread comparing football wins and basketball wins.......if only Frank could play Colgate, Campbell, and North Dakota Tech 12 times a year........

    Twenty wins in basketball DOES NOT equal 10 wins in football. It is NOT EVEN CLOSE. There is a reason that fans throughout the country always laugh at VT complaining about getting snubbed.....it's because they laugh at our schedule and the fact we don't beat anyone OOC........
    "Don't give up......Don't ever give up." -- Jimmy V

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 16, 2003
    Posts
    2,504
    .

    Quote Originally Posted by YBYSAIAHokie View Post
    What's the difference?
    1) Program on probation with limited schollies first 4 or 5 years
    2) No conference affiliation
    3) Worse FB than BB reputation, no national recognition whatsoever
    4) Worse facilities
    5) B'Burg was even more isolated
    6) Better assistant coaches
    7) Takes much longer to turn around FB program than BB program
    8) 8, 9, and 10th year showed definate improvement as measured by record, and bowl games
    9) We played in Sugar bowl in CFB's 10th year and beat Texas.
    10) You are in the the tank for CSG, but not in the tank for CFB for those years
    Last edited by VPI63; Tue Mar 06 2012 at 09:31 AM.

  6. #6
    reestuart's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Location
    roanoke, va
    Posts
    59,456
    Quote Originally Posted by YBYSAIAHokie View Post
    Greenberg's record at VT:
    1514
    1614
    1416
    2212
    2114
    1915
    259
    2212

    1516

    18-13.5 avg

    Beamer's first 11 years:
    2-9
    3-8
    6-4-1
    6-5
    5-6
    2-8-1
    9-3
    8-4
    10-2
    10-2

    7-5

    6-5 avg

    Strikingly similar to Greenberg's. Started out slow. Broke out and had some great years. Then had an off-year (7-5).
    If you take his whole 'body of work', here's what you got: 6-5 Essentially a .500 coach.

    What's the difference?
    Beamer got a program that was on probation and without a conference. Even worse, the team he took over had just lost a lot of players.

    Greenberg picked up a program that had very little success for many years.

    Beamer's climb had a lot more obstacles, IMO.
    "Knowledge is good"

    --Emil Faber, 1904

  7. #7

    Join Date
    October 09, 1999
    Posts
    39,463
    Arkansas State
    Marshall
    Akron
    James Madison
    Florida A&M
    Western Michigan
    UAB
    Navy
    Central Michigan
    Furman
    William & Mary
    Ohio
    Northeastern

    I rest my case


    Quote Originally Posted by Hubman View Post
    Holy crap.....I cannot believe we have another thread comparing football wins and basketball wins.......if only Frank could play Colgate, Campbell, and North Dakota Tech 12 times a year........

    Twenty wins in basketball DOES NOT equal 10 wins in football. It is NOT EVEN CLOSE. There is a reason that fans throughout the country always laugh at VT complaining about getting snubbed.....it's because they laugh at our schedule and the fact we don't beat anyone OOC........
    I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the screaming passengers in his car.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    August 08, 2003
    Posts
    11,332
    There is no comparison
    Quote Originally Posted by YBYSAIAHokie View Post
    Greenberg's record at VT:
    1514
    1614
    1416
    2212
    2114
    1915
    259
    2212

    1516

    18-13.5 avg

    Beamer's first 11 years:
    2-9
    3-8
    6-4-1
    6-5
    5-6
    2-8-1
    9-3
    8-4
    10-2
    10-2

    7-5

    6-5 avg

    Strikingly similar to Greenberg's. Started out slow. Broke out and had some great years. Then had an off-year (7-5).
    If you take his whole 'body of work', here's what you got: 6-5 Essentially a .500 coach.

    What's the difference?

  9. #9
    Pylons's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25, 2005
    Posts
    7,003
    Quote Originally Posted by 48zip View Post
    CFB - 2 post-seasons in 1st 8 yrs. CSG 6 post-season in 1st 8 yrs....

    .....haha....We could do this all day.
    we could ignore the most recent data all day? doesn't seem wise...I picked the 5 most recent years because that's what the OP seemed to be highlighting. Add the year before if you want: NCAA vs. Sofa...closes the gap, but I'll take those 5 bowl games in 6 years over 4 NIT's and an NCAA in 6 years...the NIT doesn't hold a candle to most of the bowls we've gone to

    another difference would be 2 conference championships vs. none

    another would be years with top 25 rankings at the end of the season

  10. #10

    Join Date
    October 09, 1999
    Posts
    39,463
    How many years out of his first six was VT on probation?

    Quote Originally Posted by reestuart View Post
    Beamer got a program that was on probation and without a conference. Even worse, the team he took over had just lost a lot of players.

    Greenberg picked up a program that had very little success for many years.

    Beamer's climb had a lot more obstacles, IMO.
    I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the screaming passengers in his car.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •