Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

You probably would've said the same thing after his first three season when he averaged 15 wins and a 6-10 conference record.

You'd probably be saying, "How does Seth suddenly average 21 wins and 9-7 conference record?"

And get this: The seven years before Seth under Stokes(4), Hussey(2) and Foster(1), we averaged 12-16 record and 5-11 conf. record.
    I rest my case.

Greenberg has brought this program a long way and some of you have a very short memory.

Quote Originally Posted by TabbHokie View Post
    How does Seth suddenly go to an NCAA every other year, or so, from his 1 of 9 at VT, and 3 of 22 career? The future looks bright for the VT freshmen and incoming freshmen, but UVA, NCSU, Maryland, Clemson, BC, and Miami have all recently made good hires. NCSU just signed 3 hamburger boys. UNC and Duke will always be at the top
    I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the screaming passengers in his car.

I hope your prediction is correct, but Seth's historical results are against you.
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiepro View Post
    100% correct. Who do we want to replace him? Ricky Stokes?

Give this recruiting class time. We're going to be a 1 in every 2-3 year NCAA team if we let Seth keep recruiting and building....and that's a significant improvement. Anyone wanting to fire Seth needs to watch some tape of our teams the 3 years prior to his arrival.
    Drink better than eat.....eat better than no drink.

No, that's an extremist view. The moral is: "have realistic standards".

Let me ask you this: If you were the VT AC and you hired another coach and he averaged 21 wins a season and 9 wins in the ACC every year but didn't make the NCAA tourney, how many years would you keep him on before firing him?

You don't fire a coach after having one bad year out of six. You just don't.

Quote Originally Posted by avhokie View Post
    And the moral is....don't have any standards?
    I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the screaming passengers in his car.

Quote Originally Posted by YBYSAIAHokie View Post
    No, that's an extremist view. The moral is: "have realistic standards".

Let me ask you this: If you were the VT AC and you hired another coach and he averaged 21 wins a season and 9 wins in the ACC every year but didn't make the NCAA tourney, how many years would you keep him on before firing him?

You don't fire a coach after having one bad year out of six. You just don't.
    Is making the NIT a good year? Because I think the goal should be making the NCAA tournament at least every few years. And we haven't done that some of the best talent that we've had here. And I see no progress at all in the offense of this team. And no progress throughout this year. We've seen nothing that should give us any confidence that we'd make the dance in the next two years.
    When replying to a specific post, use Reply With Quote

No, what I would say is that a coach that ties for the league cellar in his 9th season is on a very hot seat at most schools.

We've had a disaapointing year after losing over 60% of our scoring, rebounding and assists to graduation.

I've talked to some other College BBall fans and they think we're crazy to talk about firing Seth. They say we're overreacting because of one bad season that could be seen as a rebuilding year.
    I figured that you'd be the first one on here polishing that turd from last night.

Quote Originally Posted by aint2Hokie4me View Post
    It appears to me, that the reason for so much Hokie basketball angst is the apparent success of the hoo boys coupled with the improvements at da u and uncs with the advent of new coaches. Losing at bc did not help. Plus all of these close games that we coulda, shoulda, didn't win.
    I think the angst is over being so close for several years, and instead of finally taking that step forward (as positively progressing programs do), VT took a big step backward. Now, is that coaching? Is it the inability to recruit 1 or 2 sure-fire starters in every class (no feast or famine classes)? Is it style of play? Is it seeing our peers succeed? I have no idea.

I for one am not for getting rid of SG. That said, his boss needs to talk to him about performance and fan perception, and the need for offensive improvement (asst coach).

Let me ask you this: If you were the VT AC and you hired another coach and he averaged 21 wins a season and 9 wins in the ACC every year but didn't make the NCAA tourney, how many years would you keep him on before firing him?.
    Well it's an interesting question because there is major information missing, isn't there? The problem is that the "average 21 wins a season" is in large part to some pretty horrifically weak OOC scheduling and "9 ACC wins" are in large part to the fact that the ACC has been down as a whole for a while, and historically our conference schedule has balanced towards the weaker part of the conference - which are the exact reasons why he hasn't been making the tournament.

So it's kind of a catch-22. The exact arguments you are using to keep him result in the reasons other people want to get rid of him. I just noticed that, it's interesting.

He's got 2 more years to make the tournament, and that's assuming a major turnaround but no bid next year. You only get so many decades at a program, no matter how bad the team or program you inherited was. Next year is year 10, it's time to start delivering.
    There's a difference between a "fact" and an "opinion that you agree with."

We've had a disaapointing year after losing over 60% of our scoring, rebounding and assists to graduation.

I've talked to some other College BBall fans and they think we're crazy to talk about firing Seth. They say we're overreacting because of one bad season that could be seen as a rebuilding year.
    I talk to a bunch of UNC and Duke fans pretty much every day (who are pretty knowledgeable about basketball, imagine that) and when I mention that there is some fire-Greenberg sentiment around Blacksburg, they look at me like I'm nuts.

As for last night, let's all give NC State some credit. They have a good team and they had a lot more to play for than we did. If they lose to us they're basically out of the NCAA tournament.
    "Revolution rock, it is a brand new rock. A bad, bad rock, this here revolution rock."

I figured you'd be the one calling last night's Hokie bball game a 'turd'.

Quote Originally Posted by hokiekev 2k4 View Post
    I figured that you'd be the first one on here polishing that turd from last night.