Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    while 4 18 team or 20 team leagues seems really neat and clean to talk about, the school presidents care more about who they are affiliated with (at least in the ACC, B1G and Pac12). to get to 18 in a way that makes sense knowing the politics involved (remember, it's not like the NCAA can swoop in and assign teams to leagues), you would have to get Texas Tech, Kansas, Kansas St, Iowa St, Lousivlle, Cincy, USF, etc into one of the SEC, B1G, Pac12, or ACC. not one of those leagues wants any of those teams. the only 'desirables' not already in those 4 leagues are Notre Dame, Texas, Oklahoma, and possibly Rutgers and/or UConn. those 5 schools don't come close to the minimum 20 schools needed to get all 4 leagues to 18 each.

it sounds nice and clean for message board discussion, but these leagues and institutions are too political and self-protective to ever invite members for the greater good in the form of a well organized FBS.
    Just having fun with the possibilities here...people don't need to take this to seriously. However, here are some candidates to take the divisions to 9 and the conferences to 18.

ACC canidates: ND, UConn, Rutgers, Tulane (Academics rule the day in the ACC)

SEC candidates: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, WVU and TCU (Football passion rules the day in the SEC)

B1G candidates: Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State (Geography, they need to go south with the population)

PAC candidates: San Diego State, Bosie State, Air Force, BYU, Nevada and New Mexico (Own the biggest teams/markets in the West)

No one knows how this will play out, but again don't underestimate the need to be inclusive enough that they have enough (not all) politicians on their side.

The key to this article is "4 Conference Champs Only"!!!

If you are missing that, you are missing the elephant that has been in the room for 10+ years. You may like the way it used to be better, but the clock is not going to turn back...this thing has gone way to far.

If you want to know which 4 conferences...they would be the ones that have "NOT" lost teams. Hint: there are only 4 in Division 1A football. Schools aren't jumping and begging to jump to these conferences for no reason...the higher ups have been talking about this privately for some time now.

I believe the BCS wants to get out of determining the bowl games anti-trust issues

Quote Originally Posted by TabbHokie View Post
    The BCS wants to separate themselves from the prime bowl selection process. There is lots of legal issues with anti-trust that would require significant legal defense all the time. Also, they never say it publicly, but the big equity conferences, big 10, SEC ACC PAC 12 and the weaken Big 12 really dont want the party to be bigger. Also, the 4 equity conferences were not thrilled (as was TV ratings of the Ala LSU match up)

Each conference is going to make their deal with the big bowl (acc Orange, Sugar SEC, Rose big 10.pac 12, and I do believe cotton returns and competes for BCS bowls and competes for the big 12 champion.) These contracts will have nothing to do with the BCS process also the at large will be done by the bowls with NO BCS involvement. So they will be free to select who they want. (i.e. the small Boise;s etc will not have a chance).

The interest of only a confernce champion can compete for the bcs championship. Finally a conference championship means something. IT will be a 5-1 vote (and SEC might be squeezed). Also Notre Dame is getting squeezed and finally will be forced into a confernce.

This is all about money money and money and most of college football (n the equity conferences) make it from TV, rather than game revenue. So without increasing the TV revenue potential, many more programs will go further in debt

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    You would have the #1, #3, #4, and #6 rated BCS teams in a playoff since those 4 won their conference championship games.

Actually, you would have #1, #3, #5 and #10. Oregon won the Pac12, not Stanford, and TCU won the Mountain West rather than Boise State. And I don't have a problem with that at all. There are going to be 124 Division I-A teams next season. You have have to weed out 120 teams to get down to a 4 team playoff. If you make the conference championship the first elimination you get rid of 109 teams right off the top. After championship weekend there will be 11 conference champs plus 4 independents. Take the top 4 of those and seed them and let them play. Alabama would be out because they did not win the SEC. They didn't even win their division. And I don't have a problem with that at all. You would have had LSU play Wisconsin and Oklahoma State play Oregon in the semi-finals. That would have been a great playoff! Additionally, Notre Dame or BYU, for example, would have had to have been in the top 10 to steal Wisconsin's spot. I wouldn't have had a problem with that either.

I think I could also agree with an 8 team playoff or even an 11 or 12 team playoff as long as there are no conference runners-up and the 12th spot would be reserved for the highest ranked independent. The problem with the 12 team scenario is the very real possibility that all four independents suck out loud and don't deserve to be in the playoff. The conference championships have to be the first elimination though in a playoff scenario because of the sheer volume of teams in I-A.
    Last edited by Hokie CPA; Sat Mar 03 2012 at 10:29 AM.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

The SEC is not being squeezed, they are running this whole thing.

The ACC is their key partner with the B1G and PAC finally realizing they need to get on board or be left out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie CPA View Post
    Actually, you would have #1, #3, #5 and #10. Oregon won the Pac12, not Stanford, and TCU won the Mountain West rather than Boise State. And I don't have a problem with that at all. There are going to be 124 Division I-A teams next season. You have have to weed out 120 teams to get down to a 4 team playoff. If you make the conference championship the first elimination you get rid of 109 teams right off the top. After championship weekend there will be 11 conference champs plus 4 independents. Take the top 4 of those and seed them and let them play. Alabama would be out because they did not win the SEC. They didn't even win their division. And I don't have a problem with that at all. You would have had LSU play Wisconsin and Oklahoma State play Oregon in the semi-finals. That would have been a great playoff! Additionally, Notre Dame or BYU, for example, would have had to have been in the top 10 to steal Wisconsin's spot. I wouldn't have had a problem with that either.

I think I could also agree with an 8 team playoff or even an 11 or 12 team playoff as long as there are no conference runners-up and the 12th spot would be reserved for the highest ranked independent. The problem with the 12 team scenario is the very real possibility that all four independents suck out loud and don't deserve to be in the playoff. The conference championships have to be the first elimination though in a playoff scenario because of the sheer volume of teams in I-A.
    I forgot that Oregon won the Pac 12, but in the 8 team playoff bracket, #5 Stanford would've played at #4 Oregon. As for TCU, they were lower rated in the final BCS poll and Boise State would've received an at-large BCS bid since the MWC isn't a BCS conference and it doesn't matter if TCU won it or not according to the present BCS format. Personally, I'd like a 16 team playoff format with the 8 conference champions (ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Big East, CUSA, MWC, Pac 12, and SEC) and the 8 top rated BCS teams. The MAC, WAC, and Sun Belt aren't good enough for an automatic bid. I wouldn't give any independents any special treatment. They have to be one of the remaining top 8 teams in the Final BCS poll who failed to win their conference. That would finally force Notre Dame to join a conference. I doubt that there will ever be a 16 team playoff or even an 8 team playoff because of all the bowl games. Four team playoff (Plus 1) is probably the closest we will get to a FBS playoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    I forgot that Oregon won the Pac 12, but in the 8 team playoff bracket, #5 Stanford would've played at #4 Oregon. As for TCU, they were lower rated in the final BCS poll and Boise State would've received an at-large BCS bid since the MWC isn't a BCS conference and it doesn't matter if TCU won it or not according to the present BCS format. Personally, I'd like a 16 team playoff format with the 8 conference champions (ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Big East, CUSA, MWC, Pac 12, and SEC) and the 8 top rated BCS teams. The MAC, WAC, and Sun Belt aren't good enough for an automatic bid. I wouldn't give any independents any special treatment. They have to be one of the remaining top 8 teams in the Final BCS poll who failed to win their conference. That would finally force Notre Dame to join a conference. I doubt that there will ever be a 16 team playoff or even an 8 team playoff because of all the bowl games. Four team playoff (Plus 1) is probably the closest we will get to a FBS playoff.

Yech. I don't wanna ever see another national champ who didn't win their conference. It absolutely SUCKS the Alabama weaseled a national title out of this season. They didn't deserve the shot. Leave the wildcards out.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

Quote Originally Posted by NNJHoo View Post
    So you can get the big draw OOC games for TV and crowd revenue and no impact- Go win your division and play in your league championship game (national qtr finals) and the 4 winners go to the semis-- it will be very straightforward without extending the season.
    Yea this is how it will be.

I don't understand why so many are opposed to a team that didn't win their conferenece getting a chance to compete for a championship. In professional sports, teams that didn't win their division (wild cards, runner-ups, ...) win championships all the time and nobody seems to care. It happens in all levels of athletic competition from peewee league to the pros. I have no problem with Alabama winning a national championship. Thye were one of the top teams in the polls and proved that they were the best by dominating an undefeated #1 LSU team.

politicians get involved when state resources and anti-trust gets involved

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    SEC, ACC, B1G and PAC...that's why the others have been losing teams.

I am still not sure they stop at 16 though. The divisions will be like the old conferences and I could see the divisions going to 9 or even 10 to be inclusive enough to keep the politicians at bay. Also, before you get mad at the politicians remember how we got into the ACC. We couldn't have done it without them...that's just the reality of how we went before the Cuse.
    No judgement here, but many states have invested hundreds of million dollars in athletic facilities; with the expectation the particular public institution will be competing with the best. Now, a small group of universities, are perceived to be colluding and even might be freezing out these schools just because they are not a particular tv market or demographics or income. If states will lose million of state dollars just because of this, now that's an issue.

I do think its better that the big schools- pull out from the NCAA, there are simply too many different institution goals from a div 1a texas like school and a div iii school like bridgewater etc.