Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    i think it's more about making #1 and #2 prove they are #1 and #2 by beating top 5 caliber teams, and if they can't, this is giving those top 5 teams their shot to go on the road and beat #1 and #2. i think the biggest flaw in the current system is the lack of OOC games between top 10 teams. that is what you truly need more of to best determine who #1 and #2 are. since they won't schedule each other, make them play at the end of the year for the right to be in the MNC (still don't think we could drop the M, sorry).
    In this model, the 4th team in finished #10 in the final BCS this past season. The current way is still superior.
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

Quote Originally Posted by Gobbler-100 View Post
    Right, but that's why I'm in favor of a return to the old system from the 80s, is all I'm saying. LSU probably would've played...I don't know...Stanford or Boise State or K-State in the Sugar Bowl in the old system. It would've been a coronation. (Or not. Maybe Stanford would've messed with them a little bit.)

My #1 goal for college football's post-season is a return to the former greatness of NYD. That is clearly not going to happen. So if we can't turn back the clock, then we might as well just go with the 1-AA playoff model.

I agree on bringing back NYD. That's my major complaint with the BCS. It has ruined what was the best day of the year.
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

Quote Originally Posted by reestuart View Post
    In this model, the 4th team in finished #10 in the final BCS this past season. The current way is still superior.
    Huh? #1 LSU, #2 Bama, #3 Oklahoma st and #5 Oregon per my model.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

SEC, ACC, B1G and PAC...that's why the others have been losing teams.

I am still not sure they stop at 16 though. The divisions will be like the old conferences and I could see the divisions going to 9 or even 10 to be inclusive enough to keep the politicians at bay. Also, before you get mad at the politicians remember how we got into the ACC. We couldn't have done it without them...that's just the reality of how we went before the Cuse.

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    Huh? #1 LSU, #2 Bama, #3 Oklahoma st and #5 Oregon per my model.
    Bama wasn't a conference champ. If you're automatically including #2, why bother with picking two other teams?
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

Going to 4 remaining conferences is inevitable

Quote Originally Posted by cburgroop View Post
    Well, maybe....as long as that OOC game isn't a loss that knocks you down to #5 behind four other conference champs. I'm assuming of course the top four conference champs get the spots with no automatic bids.
    So you can get the big draw OOC games for TV and crowd revenue and no impact- Go win your division and play in your league championship game (national qtr finals) and the 4 winners go to the semis-- it will be very straightforward without extending the season.

Quote Originally Posted by NNJHoo View Post
    So you can get the big draw OOC games for TV and crowd revenue and no impact- Go win your division and play in your league championship game (national qtr finals) and the 4 winners go to the semis-- it will be very straightforward without extending the season.
    A 4 team playoff is definitely just a case of the camel getting his nose into the tent. Once the nose is in, the rest of the camel is sure to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Stech View Post
    SEC, ACC, B1G and PAC...that's why the others have been losing teams.

I am still not sure they stop at 16 though. The divisions will be like the old conferences and I could see the divisions going to 9 or even 10 to be inclusive enough to keep the politicians at bay. Also, before you get mad at the politicians remember how we got into the ACC. We couldn't have done it without them...that's just the reality of how we went before the Cuse.
    while 4 18 team or 20 team leagues seems really neat and clean to talk about, the school presidents care more about who they are affiliated with (at least in the ACC, B1G and Pac12). to get to 18 in a way that makes sense knowing the politics involved (remember, it's not like the NCAA can swoop in and assign teams to leagues), you would have to get Texas Tech, Kansas, Kansas St, Iowa St, Lousivlle, Cincy, USF, etc into one of the SEC, B1G, Pac12, or ACC. not one of those leagues wants any of those teams. the only 'desirables' not already in those 4 leagues are Notre Dame, Texas, Oklahoma, and possibly Rutgers and/or UConn. those 5 schools don't come close to the minimum 20 schools needed to get all 4 leagues to 18 each.

it sounds nice and clean for message board discussion, but these leagues and institutions are too political and self-protective to ever invite members for the greater good in the form of a well organized FBS.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Amen. No school should get a stipend like ND does especially when they have, what, 1 BCS birth in 20 years. ND's only meaningful contribution came when Holtz was in town and they cheated like mad. Otherwise, they have had no more success than Northwestern/WF over the last 35 years IIRC.

Yup. Having a bunch of midweek games sucks.