Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

NYT predicts 4 team playoff in 2014 for College Football, consisting of conference

how does that really improve anything at all? if you can't pick a #1 team or a #2 team, who in their right mind thinks you can distinguish between #3-8 in about 50% of the years? They haven't improved anything. They just increased the odds of a team playing nobody all season getting an MNC.

And which four conference champions is he referring to?

BCS polls ranking conference champs only??? Not sure how on earth you could include BE or Mtn West in there right now but someone will try.

Even with a 4 team playoff, there will still be complaining. Let's say the SEC has the #1, #2, and #5 rated BCS teams and only their conference champ gets in. The SEC will complain that the best 4 teams didn't make the 4 team playoff. For example, the Final BCS Top 10 poll looks like this: 1.SEC team, 2. SEC, 3.Big 12, 4. Big 10, 5. SEC, 6.Big 12, 7.Pac 12, 8.Big 10, 9. ACC, 10. SEC. You would have the #1, #3, #4, and #6 rated BCS teams in a playoff since those 4 won their conference championship games. The system would still be considered "flawed" even with a 4 team playoff. It would be just as simple to go with the Plus 1 model. It seems like the FCS model (16 team playoff with conference champs and highest rated remaining teams) is still the only one that would be seen as "fair."

Quote Originally Posted by gern View Post
    how does that really improve anything at all? if you can't pick a #1 team or a #2 team, who in their right mind thinks you can distinguish between #3-8 in about 50% of the years? They haven't improved anything. They just increased the odds of a team playing nobody all season getting an MNC.
    I think this is worse than what we currently have.
    "Knowledge is good"

--Emil Faber, 1904

Quote Originally Posted by reestuart View Post
    I think this is worse than what we currently have.
    i think it's more about making #1 and #2 prove they are #1 and #2 by beating top 5 caliber teams, and if they can't, this is giving those top 5 teams their shot to go on the road and beat #1 and #2. i think the biggest flaw in the current system is the lack of OOC games between top 10 teams. that is what you truly need more of to best determine who #1 and #2 are. since they won't schedule each other, make them play at the end of the year for the right to be in the MNC (still don't think we could drop the M, sorry).
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

ND will be forced to join a conference (my guess ACC). UConn bolts BE and then we'll see who goes B1G-Rutgers, maybe Maryland. Big question is whether the BIG XII can stay together or do we wind up with 4 conferences vying for the 4 slots. I think it is a step in the right direction and natural evolution to 4 mega conferences

the other big benefit is you can schedule HUGE OOC games and reward your fans with home and home series against Alabama, Michigan, USC, LSU, Oklahoma etc. without impacting your chances for a national championship- To me, that is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    i think it's more about making #1 and #2 prove they are #1 and #2 by beating top 5 caliber teams, and if they can't, this is giving those top 5 teams their shot to go on the road and beat #1 and #2. i think the biggest flaw in the current system is the lack of OOC games between top 10 teams. that is what you truly need more of to best determine who #1 and #2 are. since they won't schedule each other, make them play at the end of the year for the right to be in the MNC (still don't think we could drop the M, sorry).
    Of course, this is also an argument for why LSU should've won the national championship this year by popular acclimation w/o even having to play a bowl game. They beat Oregon and Alabama during the regular season, both away from home. In fact, they beat the Rose Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Orange Bowl, Gator Bowl, and CFA Bowl champs, as well as the eventual winner of the MNC(!) - all in the regular season. Crazy that they had to play another game.