Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Materials for new fence - about $200. Help from a friend installing it - $400

In all fairness, being a handyman is his job. But $50 an hour? If I'd known he was charging that much I would have let him do the whole thing and spent 8 hours doing something more productive. Next time I'll ask how much ahead of time. SMH

$50 an hour- where was the discount for a friend?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieMacDaddy View Post
    In all fairness, being a handyman is his job. But $50 an hour? If I'd known he was charging that much I would have let him do the whole thing and spent 8 hours doing something more productive. Next time I'll ask how much ahead of time. SMH
    Why do you need a fence?

Sent from my rotary dial phone.

Quote Originally Posted by MEHOKIE View Post
    Why do you need a fence?
    Obviously to keep his over priced friends out
    I don't think I'm easy to talk about. I've got a very irregular head. And I'm not anything that you think I am anyway.
    (Syd Barrett)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieMacDaddy View Post
    If I'd known he was charging that much I would have let him do the whole thing and spent 8 hours doing something more productive.
    So if you knew he was charging $50 an hour, you would have given him more work? Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by bsalta View Post
    So if you knew he was charging $50 an hour, you would have given him more work? Interesting.
    I would have work on it for 16 hours at $65 an hour, easy..
    I don't think I'm easy to talk about. I've got a very irregular head. And I'm not anything that you think I am anyway.
    (Syd Barrett)

Nice that you totally disrespect his right to earn a living. If you agreed to pay him to install a fence and were so... let's say... 'naive' as to never ask him his price? Look, the guy specializes in 'handyman services'. He knows the market. Perhaps before complaining you should call Lowes or Home Depot and ask how much they'd charge for the same. I'll tell you now, it's more than that. I got a quote this fall from Lowes for a fencing install that was a one day job, as described by Lowes. $1200 labor for two guys to come out for one day.

Needless to say, I kept the wallet closed, manned up, and spent 4 Saturdays doing the job myself. It took me longer than them, but I saved the money, and I didn't complain. Everything has a cost.

I doubt it would have taken him much longer to do the whole job by himself so it wouldn't have been a lot more money. But you raise a good point, if I'd known he was charging that much I wouldn't have had him do it in the first place.

Hey shirthead, reading comprehension much? I'm not disrespecting anyone. He's helped me on projects before and didn't charge me - I didn't offer and he didn't ask. I had no idea then this was his job - he's an older guy and I figured he was just helping me out, and he never said anything to the contrary. Now that I know better I mentioned this time around that we'd pay him, but I failed to ask his rate, and I made clear in my post that it was my fault for not doing that. Although I still think it would have been nice for him to mention since that seems pretty high and he apparently had no intention of giving us a friend discount. Oh and at $8 a linear foot for installation it would have been much cheaper to hire Lowe's to do the job. F you for your condescension and insults.

Remember, the extra is if you help. Think about it. ;-)
    "That's some catch, that Catch 22!" - Capt. Yossarian