Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by TomTurkey View Post
    I find it amazing that NCAA tournaments are the sole measure of his tenure. And don't claim it's not. You're pretty plainspoken on this topic. Just understand that we're not on the outside looking in but we're only partway in the house.
    I am not sure you followed that. The original poster said we had to cheat to meet the expectations of our fans. I asked if we needed to cheat to make the NCAA tourney every now and then, since that is, by most accounts, the realistic expectation of our fans. So, you do agree or disagree that we need to cheat?
    "Don't give up......Don't ever give up." -- Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by westsidehokie View Post
    Thanks for the explanation Will. I really enjoy your columns by the way. While I admire Seth's passion and effort as a coach, I think he has run his course at Tech and its time for a change. We are never going to become a consistent NCAA Tourney team under Seth. Three NCAA appearances in 22 (soon to be 23) years of coaching speaks for itself. I believe Tech is capable of more than what Seth has brought us. Hopefully, we can hire someone with a more balanced approach to the game, who values both offense and defense. I'm so tired of these long scoring droughts which cost us game after game, only to hear Seth talk about how we didn't pressure the ball enough.
    I personally like Seth, but everyone including him is replaceable. However, that being said, I would only replace him if we could get someone who is a good person as well as a good coach and who will run a clean program. I would rather us have good people over good players. My school pride is not based on our record but on the quality of the people in our program. And that is one thing that I really like about Seth and that I respect about him. Always keep the proper perspective, this is college athletics and these are kids playing a game. No need to let any of this affect our personal lives.

Let's check with your old girl friend and ask her if you are a good kisser, then write a paper & post it on the message board.
    Quote Originally Posted by westsidehokie View Post
    Can someone please post a link to the "Farewell Seth" column that appeared in the Tampa Tribune after Seth left USF for Tech. I would like to reread the article but have not been able to find it. Thanks.
    Born and bred a Hokie

Quote Originally Posted by Hubman View Post
    We have to cheat to make a tourney?
    No but, USF does

Relax bro. Seth's not going anywhere this year. We'll continue to be mediocre for at least one more year. But when he does go, I can see it's going to be really hard on you.
    FYI - my ex-girlfriend wanted to get married, so I guess she thought I was a good kisser.

I agree 100%..... and I think there's a good chance that any coach who could beat Seth's performance and meet the expectations of many VT basketball fans (there are a lot of unrealistic expectations, IMO) would not run a clean program. Careful what you wish for....

Quote Originally Posted by VTer View Post
    I agree 100%..... and I think there's a good chance that any coach who could beat Seth's performance and meet the expectations of many VT basketball fans (there are a lot of unrealistic expectations, IMO) would not run a clean program. Careful what you wish for....
    So to make NCAA tournaments 3 times in a decade, we would have to cheat? You guys make me giggle........
    "Don't give up......Don't ever give up." -- Jimmy V

Tampa Tribune (Florida)

April 3, 2003, Thursday, FINAL EDITION

Seth's Chatter Wasn't Enough To Win At USF

BYLINE: MARTIN FENNELLY, mfennelly@tampatrib.com

SECTION: SPORTS, Pg. 1

LENGTH: 532 words

It was exactly seven years ago today that a New Yorker arrived in Tampa and started talking as fast as his tongue could carry him. He told us South Florida basketball was a "sleeping giant." Seth Greenberg seemed a refreshing wake-up call to arms.

We know better now. We knew better two years ago. Or was it four years ago? Was that when we realized we'd been had? When we decided that words came out both sides of Seth Greenberg's mouth and none of them explained how the sleeping giant slipped into a coma?
    After seven seasons and two glittering NIT tournament losses, the Greenberg era is over at USF. But wouldn't you know it, Seth is the one laughing. The joke is still on us.

It wasn't USF that ended Seth's employment. It was Seth! Greenberg is running himself out of town, to Blacksburg, Va., to coach Virginia Tech, barring any late snags, like Seth changing his mind or Virginia Tech failing its drug test.

It's a great day for Hokies basketball.

It's a greater day for Bulls basketball.

He Made His Own Mess

It didn't help that Jim Leavitt, starting with less than Greenberg - nothing, in fact - put USF football on the map while Seth put USF basketball in the morgue.

But Seth made his own mess.

He talked and talked. He was funny and quotable and that seemed an upgrade - at first - from Bobby Paschal, the man Seth succeeded. The man who made two NCAA Tournaments to Seth's none.

Seth didn't get it done. He won only eight more games than he lost in his seven seasons in Tampa. He was 16 games under .500 in Conference USA. He was 0-20 against ranked teams. There was never talk of the NCAA Tournament. Or even the NCAA bubble. USF lived on the NIT blister.

You could have heard crickets at Bulls home games this season if crickets hadn't made other plans. Boosters fell away. During a game this season, a USF player actually refused to go into a game. There were people Seth lost, and not just by losing.

Seth talked and talked. He spoke of his love for Tampa and building USF while at the same time trying to claw his way out, to Miami, to Oregon State, anywhere but here.

Seth stopped being the problem a while ago. He was what he was. It was USF athletic director Lee Roy Selmon's job to hold USF basketball to a standard. Selmon responded by awarding Greenberg a one-year contract extension, the kind of move that can get a guy's name taken down off a highway. Lucky for Lee Roy, Seth hit the road.

Time To Look At Long Haul

Where does USF go from here? It gets serious. USF makes winning basketball a priority. It goes young. It goes long haul. It finds a coach with the energy - and sincerity - to do a job that can be done, no matter what Seth said. Or did.

Seth isn't our problem anymore. And we aren't his. We wish him well. He is back where he belongs, or close to back.

He'll coach in the Big East, sometimes surrounded by city slickers.

You know, Seth might just make it.

He'll wow them at first in his new job. He'll make people laugh and dream. Why, the man could sell DVDs in Amish Country. Seth will talk and talk.

Bet people in Blacksburg don't even know that Virginia Tech basketball is a sleeping giant.

That's the one. Not sure where you found it but thanks Hoophead.