Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

"Farewell Seth" Article from Tampa Tribune

Can someone please post a link to the "Farewell Seth" column that appeared in the Tampa Tribune after Seth left USF for Tech. I would like to reread the article but have not been able to find it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by westsidehokie View Post
    Can someone please post a link to the "Farewell Seth" column that appeared in the Tampa Tribune after Seth left USF for Tech. I would like to reread the article but have not been able to find it. Thanks.
    Please stop. If you find it... please keep that kind of filth to yourself. Any reason you are seeking a bitter hack job of article at this present time? Please also remember that coaching at a commuter school in a second rate conference (like USF was at the time) is very different to anything SG does today at VT.

And I don't think SG ever coached at Long Beach State... I have seen pictures... their coach had hair!

Gman, I was curious to see if there were any similarities as to why Seth was nearly run out of town at USF versus the complaints people have about him today. History does have a way of repeating itself.

Here's a bunch of articles

Not the one you were looking for though.

http://articles.latimes.com/keyword/seth-greenberg

USF basketball is nothing more than a stepping stone to better coaching opportunities. USF had a 3rd rate basketball arena, 3rd rate practice facilities, poor fan support, no basketball tradition, and has a campus that has the appeal of a community college on steriods.

Why would we want to read a sour grapes article that is biased toward USF and questions Seth's ability to produce a high quality program?

Actually, VT and USF do have some similarities in that they are both difficult schools to recruit to, for different reasons.

Gman, I was curious to see if there were any similarities as to why Seth was nearly run out of town at USF versus the complaints people have about him today. History does have a way of repeating itself.
    If I remember the article correctly, the author painted Seth as a snake oil salesman who landed in Tampa promising the moon and talking slick, but who never delivered and hightailed it out of town right as the posse was arriving.

Contrast that with Seth's arrival at VT, when he very carefully set the level of expectations in his opening press conference. He talked about improving day by day and year by year, but didn't promise anything specific.

But .... it was just one man's opinion. It sounded very personal with him. Can't remember the guy's name, and I'm sure the article's long gone.
    Always use "Reply With Quote", so everyone knows to whom you're responding.

Thanks for the explanation Will. I really enjoy your columns by the way. While I admire Seth's passion and effort as a coach, I think he has run his course at Tech and its time for a change. We are never going to become a consistent NCAA Tourney team under Seth. Three NCAA appearances in 22 (soon to be 23) years of coaching speaks for itself. I believe Tech is capable of more than what Seth has brought us. Hopefully, we can hire someone with a more balanced approach to the game, who values both offense and defense. I'm so tired of these long scoring droughts which cost us game after game, only to hear Seth talk about how we didn't pressure the ball enough.

As someone (wisely) posted here, at least luckier!
    "That's some catch, that Catch 22!" - Capt. Yossarian

Quote Originally Posted by VTer View Post
    USF basketball is nothing more than a stepping stone to better coaching opportunities. USF had a 3rd rate basketball arena, 3rd rate practice facilities, poor fan support, no basketball tradition, and has a campus that has the appeal of a community college on steriods.

Why would we want to read a sour grapes article that is biased toward USF and questions Seth's ability to produce a high quality program?

Actually, VT and USF do have some similarities in that they are both difficult schools to recruit to, for different reasons.
    I think you're being nice to USF by calling it a stepping-stone. It's more like a place where careers die.

This might be what you were looking for. You'll have to pay for it, but you can see the first paragraph for free.

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/tampabay...s&pqatl=google