Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WESTENDH00 View Post
    Seriously though, you guys need to upgrade that arena. Even if you don't build a new one for some time, you have to be able to sink a little money into a facelift.
    Serious question .... why?

As someone who attends VT games regularly in Cassell, I can report:

1.) Bathrooms are big enough, have enough stalls/urinals, etc. -- no standing in line.
    2.) Concession stands are numerous, easy to get to, typically don't have long lines.
    3.) Coliseum generally clears out quickly, so getting out isn't a big issue.
    4.) Many, many seats are very close to the floor for great viewing.
    5.) I love how densely packed the seats are, and how steeply banked they are. You can't do that in new construction, due to code.

I only have two complaints that a brand new arena would solve:

1.) Thanks to the fattening up of America over the last 50 years, the seats are too small. I fit in them just fine (I'm placekicker-sized), but several times this year, I've had people next to me who were just too damn fat to fit in their seats, and their fat arms and fat thighs spilled out over into my personal space. In one recent game, the girl next to me wasn't hugely fat, but her thighs were big enough that they were pressed up against mine the whole game. Blech. In a game back in January, the fat guy next to me had fat arms and shoulders that spilled out of his seating space and into mine. I leaned forward the whole game to avoid having this guy pressing up against me. Gross. Lose some weight. A new arena would, I hope, have larger seats and more room.

2.) Because of the nature of Cassell's construction, you can't "ring" the floor with students, because their standing all game would block the view of the money donors behind them. Contrast that with, say, NC State's arena, where students ring the floor and stand, but they don't block the view of the people behind them. (Click here to see how it's done.)

So ... why does Cassell "need" to be upgraded? So it will be ... prettier? So we can have big concourses to walk around in? So we can have concerts there? Pffffftttt. Cassell's a pit, when fully loaded with motivated fans. I like it that way.
    Always use "Reply With Quote", so everyone knows to whom you're responding.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTENDH00 View Post
    I'm sure you want it to be a dig, but its not. Your own fans are saying it in spades.
    Right, but we're allowed to say it about our own arena. You're not. It's like how I can give my brother crap about a myriad of things, but if some a-hole at the bar starts giving my brother crap, it's on.

If a little kid has a crappy bike and he's saving up his paper route money to get a new bike, he's allowed to comment to his friend about his need for a new bike. If the rich kid up the street rolls in on his brand new bike that his daddy just bought him and goes "Man, you *really* need a new bike!" The rich kid is a jerk.
    There's a difference between a "fact" and an "opinion that you agree with."

I would definitely like to see the students in a better location for TV. That hurts the look on TV.

Another thing I would add, it the lighting is terrible. There may be limitations due to Cassell's construction but it seems like something could be done.

I personally love Cassell, when full it's a great college baskeball environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Stewart View Post

1.) Bathrooms are big enough, have enough stalls/urinals, etc. -- no standing in line.
    2.) Concession stands are numerous, easy to get to, typically don't have long lines.
    5.) I love how densely packed the seats are, and how steeply banked they are. You can't do that in new construction, due to code.

1.) Thanks to the fattening up of America over the last 50 years, the seats are too small. I fit in them just fine (I'm placekicker-sized), but several times this year, I've had people next to me who were just too damn fat to fit in their seats, and their fat arms and fat thighs spilled out over into my personal space. In one recent game, the girl next to me wasn't hugely fat, but her thighs were big enough that they were pressed up against mine the whole game. Blech. In a game back in January, the fat guy next to me had fat arms and shoulders that spilled out of his seating space and into mine. I leaned forward the whole game to avoid having this guy pressing up against me. Gross. Lose some weight. A new arena would, I hope, have larger seats and more room.

2.) Because of the nature of Cassell's construction, you can't "ring" the floor with students, because their standing all game would block the view of the money donors behind them. Contrast that with, say, NC State's arena, where students ring the floor and stand, but they don't block the view of the people behind them. (Click here to see how it's done.)

So ... why does Cassell "need" to be upgraded? So it will be ... prettier? So we can have big concourses to walk around in? So we can have concerts there? Pffffftttt. Cassell's a pit, when fully loaded with motivated fans. I like it that way.
    Geez, whatever it takes. Will, you just motivated me to do some exercise. Been putting it off but the images you painted have me running in place in my shower.

It doesnt. It could look better for TV though. Unfortunately it wasn't configured so the seats behind the baseline are low or close enough. Unfortuantely the students arent ringing the facility which is now prevalent at many schools. I think the white formica looking hockey rink look on the ends could be changed- think maroon or hokie stone or something. Otherwise it is terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Stewart View Post

yeah let's upgrade to a nice swank clean sanitized arena that has no home court adavantage at all (UVA, MD, NC State) how is that working out? Uhall was more of a home court then what uva has now. their new arena is nice and looks nice but doesn't intimidate anyone.

Agreed, Cassell is fine as is. The seating width wouldn't change with a new arena, unfortunately. That's just the way teams do it these days. I saw recently some minor league park that was promoting the fact that they have 22" width seats. The nearly universal standard is 18". I'd estimate that Lane is the same way - 18" On a cold day, when everyone is wearing coats, it gets pretty tight.

Good points on all of the realistic benefits of Cassell. I also agree with you about the students at courtside, but you have to make that a focus of an arena, and I wouldn't be surprised if the RBC was that way because of the hockey configuration. I think that was just a happy coincidence, since Reynolds Coliseum didn't have students arranged that way. Also, while that would be neat for our own 'Cameron mimicry', it's not worth spending $100 mil to achieve.

Cassell works extremely well for VT. The practice facility addressed those needs, too.

I sincerely hope we never replace the buttresses with columns. Cassell works just fine for us, hoo's can use the John all they desire.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie VT View Post
    Another thing I would add, it the lighting is terrible. There may be limitations due to Cassell's construction but it seems like something could be done.
    True, the lighting is poor. But it doesn't bother me as a fan sitting in the arena, and if the TV broadcast is properly done, you don't really notice it.

Makes it tough for Russian Hokie to take good action photos from the stands, though. He somehow manages.
    Always use "Reply With Quote", so everyone knows to whom you're responding.

Hoos should be proud of JPJ, but The Cassell, when juiced, is SPECIAL.