Did Seth coach a brilliant game to get the Hokies poised to win?

I'm not so sure. I think the Hokies played offense like they always do, and with the short bench, played zone to stay out of foul trouble. Really nothing brilliant there. I think the biggest thing Seth did for most of the game is relax, with little expectation of winning. As the game progressed, the players felt like they could win and gave great effort, until they just wore down. FSU mounted a great comeback, and the Hokies didn't have enough left to respond. A doctor told me years ago that stress is cumulative, and I just wonder if the stress of the close games over the last few years doesn't wear on Seth, staff, and players.

Quote Originally Posted by TabbHokie View Post
    I'm not so sure. I think the Hokies played offense like they always do, and with the short bench, played zone to stay out of foul trouble. Really nothing brilliant there. I think the biggest thing Seth did for most of the game is relax, with little expectation of winning. As the game progressed, the players felt like they could win and gave great effort, until they just wore down. FSU mounted a great comeback, and the Hokies didn't have enough left to respond. A doctor told me years ago that stress is cumulative, and I just wonder if the stress of the close games over the last few years doesn't wear on Seth, staff, and players.
    I think it was a smartly-coached game. Two free throws (out of God knows how many chances) and SG looks like a genius. He put us in a position to win... he's mixing in the zone at opportune times. BC another good example of this.

FSU this year is where we'll be in 3 years. They are strong on D and physical. I think we'll actually be a bit better on offense as our shooters come into their own.

7 We missed 7 FTs down the stretch. I think this game galvanizes the team even if it doesn't show so much in the W/L column for the rest of the year. A huge part of coaching is inspiration and I think CSG let Lin's interview reinforce what he's been teaching and preaching. The toughness showed tonight but the gas tank came up a little empty too soon. Tried to milk it but couldn't in the end.
    "That's some catch, that Catch 22!" - Capt. Yossarian

FSU was 1 of 8 on FTs and arguably did better! Ok, 12.5% but their misses weren't at the end.

I thought they played excellent defense and rebouned very well. Great effort and hustle too. Actually some good offensive motion in the first 10 minutes of the second half. But they took their foot off the pedal for too long.

Gas tank? They weren't out of gas, they just missed free throws. Plain and simple.

3 out of a possible 12 points in the last 2:11

Yes. The defensive calls were necessary. In the hot stretch of the second half, we had stretched FSU's bigs all over half-court. I've never seen us play offense like that this year.

We did seem to struggle with full court pressure.
    The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest.
    ~Kilgore Trout

Yes. Amazing job to limit the post game of a team who lit us up in the paint last game, WITHOUT Davila and Barksdale. Raines was awesome too, but missed half the game due to cramps. We were without a single PF or C for the majority of the 2nd half. As the game wore on, FSU playing 10 players against our 7 (with 2 banged up severely) played a HUGE factor... FSU had energy at the end, we were a tired team just trying to hold on against a much better opponent on their home court. Logic says do that and depend on our ft shooting... were are #1 in acc in ft% before tonight.... we did that, and our players choked HARD despite playing their hearts out. As long as they try (did you see how hard a completely out matched team competed?) I will love and support my team and coach all day long

Yes they were. 3 of the four players out at the end of the game were not freshman.