Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Water View Post
    She apologized yesterday to Mr. Morris and explained the misunderstanding. He accepted her apology and her explanation of the misunderstanding, and commended her for the effort. You'd think an adult would get the full story before blasting an e-mail like that out to all the parents. "Lisa" will get no apology. Perhaps she should be the one apologizing for being such a poor leader and letting a bunch of 10 year olds run amok.
    AGree. She doesn't need or deserve an apolgy.
    I will never understand people.
    They're the worst!

But it appears they had just her with no parent participation. My daughter is 7 and her troop is about 8 or 10 kids and they have 3 moms in there with them every week and they never have anything like these type of issues.

Sounds like there was "Mr. Morris" there as well, but that's why she's asking for additional help from the parents in her letter.
    [B][I]I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.. Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car![/I][/B]

She apologized yesterday to Mr. Morris and explained the misunderstanding. He accepted her apology and her explanation of the misunderstanding, and commended her for the effort. You'd think an adult would get the full story before blasting an e-mail like that out to all the parents. "Lisa" will get no apology. Perhaps she should be the one apologizing for being such a poor leader and letting a bunch of 10 year olds run amok.
    I meant that the apolgy should be for the overall behavior. The parents need to take control of their daughters who apparently don't know how to behave. Your attitude is part of why the girls behave like they do. It is not Lisa's fault. It is the girls' and you and the other parents need to get control of the girls now. Looking to blame this on the leader is part of what is wrong with kids.
    I don't always talk to UVa Grads but when I do I always order the Large Fries.

No response necessary ... just have her sing the 'Hungry Hungry Hippo' song as she enters the next meeting.
    idea of how I'm going to respond, but The Lounge never disappoints in matters such as these. This is Girl Scouts and these are 10 year olds we're talking about. Yes, it was my daughter and no, it wasn't meant for anyone in particular and was mistakenly left behind.

"Subject: Disappointment with Group B at this week's meeting

We had a couple of issues that happened at the meeting on Wednesday that the parents of Group B need to be made aware of...

First of all, one of the craft activities involved the girls making foam fortune cookies for Valentine's Day - some even complete with fortunes. On Thursday, Mr. Morris found a fortune cookie left on his desk - it contained the message "Stop eating so much. You look like a hippo". On one hand, I sincerely hope this "fortune" was not intentionally left for him and secondly, I'm disappointed that someone would even consider this a "fortune" to be given to anyone. That being said, I would like the parents to talk to their daughters to find out who wrote this fortune and I would like this person to personally apologize to both Mr. Morris and myself. This apology can be done in secret but, at a minimum, it needs to be done sooner rather than later. Our troop is very fortunate that we can use the different facilities at the school and I will not allow this type of behavior to jeopardize that or tarnish our troop's reputation.

Second, let's discuss the behavior of the girls at the meeting. In a nutshell - rude, intolerable and totally unacceptable. The meeting started off on a bad note since the scheduled snack girl was not present at the meeting, therefore, many of the girls were downright rude and angry about not having a snack - to the point of telling the adults to "go to Giant and get us a snack" (and not in a joking manner). When I tried to redirect the girls to start the meeting, I was dealing with girls not listening (and then complaining later in the meeting that they didn't know what to do), girls blatantly turning their back to me as I spoke, the "shut ups" and impolite comments being whispered under their breath, etc. etc. In addition, the girls are roaming the halls or disrupting SAC instead of proceeding directly to the bathroom and coming straight back. The wrestling, flip-flopping with each other and practicing gymnastics will stop. I realize we meet in a room with a "slumber-party" atmosphere; I like this arrangement since the girls sit at desks all day and this gives them a chance to relax and unwind but it does present challenges in that there are no boundaries like tables and chairs. Most girls ask permission to leave the room but there are some that just leave the classroom and I'm constantly shepherding them back to the room. I really didn't think I needed a "hall monitor" for this age group. Personally, I find this behavior offensive and disrespectful. I expect the girls to give me or any other adult volunteer the same respect as their teachers - the Quality Student behavior doesn't happen just during school hours.

Bottom line is...If your daughter is bored with Girl Scouts, then take a break. I'd rather have the girl skip a meeting or two than waste my time and ruin it for those girls who actually enjoy participating. At the next meeting, we will return to square one and set some new ground rules. I think the girls need to practice self control, listening skills and clean up skills (no, the parents or myself shouldn't be doing this). In addition, I'll be sending out a volunteer signup list for the remainder of the year. Group B is a large group - about 22 girls so we need a minimum of 2 adults at each meeting, 3 would be highly recommended. We are all parents and wear many hats - some of us more so than others, but volunteering once in a blue moon isn't too much to ask.

I know these girls like Girl Scouts (or at least I hope they do) so I'm assigning the blame on the full moon, crappy weather, lack of outside time during the day, etc. etc. because I really hate writing this type of email and I'm hoping this will be the last time these issues will need to be mentioned. I expect to see changes in their behavior over the next couple of meetings or I will be forced to make some drastic changes.

I would appreciate each of you speaking to your daughter(s) about the issues I mentioned in this email.

Lisa"

They say I'm lazy but it takes all my time.

I don't know the whole story, but from the limited information that you've shared, IMHO that's the wrong attitude to take with somebody that is willing to put forth the time and effort with YOUR child. She isn't getting paid to plan the activities, buy the supplies, and put in the instructional time with those girls. You may not like her approach to resolving the issue, but she didn't call any of the girls out by name so I have no problem with the letter. I'm not saying that "Lisa" deserves an apology, but she does deserve your child's attention and respect since she's the one putting forth the effort to be the Girl Scout leader. Feel free to volunteer and put yourself in her shoes for a meeting or 3.
    [B][I]I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.. Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car![/I][/B]

Kids misbehave when others around them are misbehaving. The leader needs to not let it get that far. Also, these girls didn't get a snack. You can't complain about the behavior of a 10 year old who hasn't been fed.
    __
    The Dude Abides

Some parents are not also adults.

Quote Originally Posted by hokiebob01 View Post
    I meant that the apolgy should be for the overall behavior. The parents need to take control of their daughters who apparently don't know how to behave. Your attitude is part of why the girls behave like they do. It is not Lisa's fault. It is the girls' and you and the other parents need to get control of the girls now. Looking to blame this on the leader is part of what is wrong with kids.
    Completely agree!

I thought Mr Morris was the teacher in that room since it's in a school? Maybe I got confused