Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1014151617181920

I was responding to this:

I understand all of that but we will just have to agree to disagree. I stand by my original statement. It didn't even have to be for both sons but as a gesture of appreciation to the best basketball player that ever stepped inside the Cassell, I would have extended that offer no matter what to his first son. If we offered the first son chances are the second would have followed if we wanted him, too. Even if the first son was 4'8" and weighed 500lbs he would have had an offer and a sturdy place to sit on the bench.

I agree- this board has become awful. Real discussion about accurate concerns has disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by nc_hokie87 View Post
    I still don't understand what is hard about giving us a criteria? What is so impossible about naming certain factors, lets say 10 different ones, and ranking them in order from most important to least important?
    heck, if it's not hard, you tell me how it should be done. Give me 10 different criteria ranked from most important to least important...show me how clearly and without controversy your list identifies the tourney teams each year.
    And what is stopping them from using that same criteria each and every year?
    common sense. if there was a magic criteria that always "worked" and everyone agreed on, they'd use it. Again, if it's so easy, enlighten us. Criteria #1 is wins? or is it RPI? or is it Sagarin rating? how much does criteria #1 count? does criteria #2 only come into play when there's a tie on criteria #1, or are we talking a more complicated system?

I just don't understand why that isn't possible... and further, don't understand why the decisions are so secretive and behind closed doors. #1, we need specific criteria they look at and #2, we need transparency. That really doesn't seem like it should be too hard or painful for them to provide.... and I personally can't come up with a single good, logical reason why they SHOULDNT do those things. Can you?
    because it really doesn't matter. if they broadcast the selection committee meeting on ESPN, multiple teams would still feel slighted. If you want the committee taken out, fine...multiple teams will still feel slighted. You will claim "objectivity" but there will still be controversy. It's simply not simple.

As for winning more, that clearly doesn't matter. We've been passed over year after year by teams who have less wins than us. We've been passed over in favor of teams we've beaten that have similar records to us. Wins don't matter, unfortunately. Hell, beating FSU last season in the acc tournament arguably kept us out of the big tournament. Maybe that extra top 50 RPI win would've pushed us in... who knows. It shouldn't work that way, but until the committee releases its criteria, lets us know exactly what they look for, what qualities are most important in a resume, and stay consistent with that criteria in their selections, we'll never know.
    yep, you're right...we're the helpless victim. We shouldn't even try to win. Poor us, with no control over our destiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoakie82 View Post
    If you get the 1st son and he works out great. For all the reasons I already stated you can't lose either way.
    right, because if Dell's first son is completely uninterested and/or terrible at basketball, at least you make yourself a laughingstock...which is a killer recruiting strategy!

You than evaluate the 2nd son based on his merits and your needs. If he's good enough, you offer but if he's only boderline, hopefully, he want's to play with his brother and he's a walkon. If he's terrible than chances are he doesn't even want to play college ball. In the meantime we have Dell Curry taking an active interest in the success of our program.
    so as long as you give one blind schollie, it becomes ok to act just as SG did? What if his brother was a flop and playing with his brother is not an option and VT is a laughingstock for offering schollies based on blind bloodlines?

I'm not sure why you don't think Dell Curry doesn't have an active interest in the success of our program. Or why you think it we'd have killed a scholarship on an untalented son he'd be more interested?
    Guess we just disagree but I get the satisfaction of saying, my way would of had 1 and possibly 2 NBA players on our team. lol
    yep, because things always work out the same when you change one critical parameter.

I'd argue Steph Curry would've been severely limited under SG at VT. He ended up in an fantastic situation at Davidson with McKillop fawning all over him. At VT, he might have been totally stifled and ended up transferring....he sure as hell wouldn't have been handed the keys to the entire program at VT the way he was at Davidson.

Quote Originally Posted by WestEndHokie39 View Post
    I was responding to this:

I understand all of that but we will just have to agree to disagree. I stand by my original statement. It didn't even have to be for both sons but as a gesture of appreciation to the best basketball player that ever stepped inside the Cassell, I would have extended that offer no matter what to his first son. If we offered the first son chances are the second would have followed if we wanted him, too. Even if the first son was 4'8" and weighed 500lbs he would have had an offer and a sturdy place to sit on the bench.
    Please just click on "Reply with Quote". Then you will not have to quote anything, just add your comment.

Thanks in advance.
    May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    heck, if it's not hard, you tell me how it should be done. Give me 10 different criteria ranked from most important to least important...show me how clearly and without controversy your list identifies the tourney teams each year.

common sense. if there was a magic criteria that always "worked" and everyone agreed on, they'd use it. Again, if it's so easy, enlighten us. Criteria #1 is wins? or is it RPI? or is it Sagarin rating? how much does criteria #1 count? does criteria #2 only come into play when there's a tie on criteria #1, or are we talking a more complicated system?
    Its late, Im tired, and have an early morning tomorrow. Given that the topic we've been discussing is completely off-topic from the original post, I will make a list and post it when I have time. Hopefully you'll see it. I really don't think it is that hard or crazy an idea. It would give a great post season a more validated group of selected teams, make the selection process more transparent and let teams and fans know exactly what the committee looks at to decide who gets in, and with that transparency and consistency, hopefully we'd more often than not select the correct teams... Another interesting thing would be to compare my criteria to our resumes and see if it would have helped us. But that is a big project for another day.

And Go Hokies! Just a minute til game day

Its late, Im tired, and have an early morning tomorrow. Given that the topic we've been discussing is completely off-topic from the original post, I will make a list and post it when I have time. Hopefully you'll see it. I really don't think it is that hard or crazy an idea. It would give a great post season a more validated group of selected teams, make the selection process more transparent and let teams and fans know exactly what the committee looks at to decide who gets in, and with that transparency and consistency, hopefully we'd more often than not select the correct teams... Another interesting thing would be to compare my criteria to our resumes and see if it would have helped us. But that is a big project for another day.

And Go Hokies! Just a minute til game day
    I anxiously await it. Impressed that you got it all figued out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    right, because if Dell's first son is completely uninterested and/or terrible at basketball, at least you make yourself a laughingstock...which is a killer recruiting strategy!

If he was completely uninterested or terrible he wouldn't try out. Do you really think a guy like Dell and his wife who was also a college athlete would have a kid like that would be content totally sucking at something yet still wanting to participate. His desire to excel wouldn't allow him to continue at anything he wasn't also at least competent at doing. He was a 3 star recruit right?

so as long as you give one blind schollie, it becomes ok to act just as SG did? What if his brother was a flop and playing with his brother is not an option and VT is a laughingstock for offering schollies based on blind bloodlines?

The only way we become a laughing stock is the way it turned out.

I'm not sure why you don't think Dell Curry doesn't have an active interest in the success of our program. Or why you think it we'd have killed a scholarship on an untalented son he'd be more interested?

Maybe because he's been to busy going to Davidson and Duke games. Duh!

yep, because things always work out the same when you change one critical parameter.

I'd argue Steph Curry would've been severely limited under SG at VT. He ended up in an fantastic situation at Davidson with McKillop fawning all over him. At VT, he might have been totally stifled and ended up transferring....he sure as hell wouldn't have been handed the keys to the entire program at VT the way he was at Davidson.
    We'll never know but I sure would have like to have had the opportunity to find out.

That comment is ABSURD!

K P Texas you make a lot of sense. I agree with your assessment. If you were not so far away, I'd buy you a beer.