Mounting TV above fireplace, running power, data and speaker wire in the wall...

I think I know what I'm doing but a few questions to see what people think...

Buying a condo, closing end of March and want to get in right away and get the TV and accessories squared away before we paint and move everything else in. I want to mount it above the fireplace and run wires through the wall to hide them. Thinking I'll run 2 HDMI cables and one Ethernet. I know there are ton of other things I could run but I can't imagine needing more than that. One HDMI will connect to my receiver and therefore my DVR and PS3/DVD player and one would be a spare for connecting a computer or something. Then the Ethernet would be for connecting my next TV, which will have internet capability. I can't imagine needing component, composite, toslink or anything else but if there's a valid reason I would and I should install it now. So am I missing anything?

In conjunction I was thinking of installing something like this for power (http://www.amazon.com/PowerBridge-TS...=1OQPUQ91SPQ5O). Logic being that I can plug that into a surge protector and protect my TV rather than tap into power in the wall and not have protection. Is there a better product out there that anyone has used?

Finally, was gonna buy a couple in wall speakers (center, left and right) and install those at the same time.

Thinking of doing all this myself rather than hire somebody since it seems rather easy. My only concerns are 1) that it will be in front of a gas fireplace (though drywall not brick), just worried about having the depth needed. And then 2) I'd have to go around a small corner with all of the cables, see pic for details (http://thumbs.trulia.com/pictures/th...7ac87118fb.jpg)

Anything I'm missing lounge? Comments are appreciated
    "The Hokies won an outright ACC championship during their first year in the conference. That's a feat Tech's in-state neighbor to the north has never accomplished in 52 seasons. For the record, it took Tech 12 weeks."

Quote Originally Posted by ME Hokie 07 View Post

Buying a condo, closing end of March and want to get in right away and get the TV and accessories squared away before we paint and move everything else in. I want to mount it above the fireplace and run wires through the wall to hide them. Thinking I'll run 2 HDMI cables and one Ethernet. I know there are ton of other things I could run but I can't imagine needing more than that. One HDMI will connect to my receiver and therefore my DVR and PS3/DVD player and one would be a spare for connecting a computer or something. Then the Ethernet would be for connecting my next TV, which will have internet capability. I can't imagine needing component, composite, toslink or anything else but if there's a valid reason I would and I should install it now. So am I missing anything?

In conjunction I was thinking of installing something like this for power (http://www.amazon.com/PowerBridge-TS...=1OQPUQ91SPQ5O). Logic being that I can plug that into a surge protector and protect my TV rather than tap into power in the wall and not have protection. Is there a better product out there that anyone has used?

Finally, was gonna buy a couple in wall speakers (center, left and right) and install those at the same time.

Thinking of doing all this myself rather than hire somebody since it seems rather easy. My only concerns are 1) that it will be in front of a gas fireplace (though drywall not brick), just worried about having the depth needed. And then 2) I'd have to go around a small corner with all of the cables, see pic for details (http://thumbs.trulia.com/pictures/th...7ac87118fb.jpg)

where are you planning on having your components? In the cabinet to the left of the fireplace? Will you ever want to have surround sound? If all you are doing is installing front speakers and mounting the TV, you should be able to do that your self. If you are going to install an in-wall center speaker make sure that the studs will allow for it before you even plan for that.

Looking at that setup, it appears as if it's only meant to go between the same studs in the wall. If you intend to do that over the fireplace, it might be kinda difficult to route the wires.

Quote Originally Posted by LansdaleHokie View Post
    where are you planning on having your components? In the cabinet to the left of the fireplace? Will you ever want to have surround sound? If all you are doing is installing front speakers and mounting the TV, you should be able to do that your self. If you are going to install an in-wall center speaker make sure that the studs will allow for it before you even plan for that.
    That stuff isn't mine, it's the current owners. I've got a small electronics cabinet that I'll put to the right of the fireplace for my receiver, PS3 and DVR. That's where the cable jack is anyways. I def want surround sound. I have a 7.1 system but I'l only use 5.1 (living room is smallish). Unfortunately I'll have to run the rear speaker wire under a rug. If this was our forever home I'd do ceiling speakers or run it under the floor but it's not worth the expense for how long we'll end up being there.

Good point on the center speaker/stud interference, I'll check on that. Worst case I have a front speaker already in my apartment, I can just sit that on the mantle.
    "The Hokies won an outright ACC championship during their first year in the conference. That's a feat Tech's in-state neighbor to the north has never accomplished in 52 seasons. For the record, it took Tech 12 weeks."

Quote Originally Posted by hokiehunter07 View Post
    Looking at that setup, it appears as if it's only meant to go between the same studs in the wall. If you intend to do that over the fireplace, it might be kinda difficult to route the wires.
    Assume you're talking about the power kit? I'll have to buy a longer romex cable (it only comes with a 6' section) and have to notch the studs to go horizontally. There are a ton of videos on youtube showing how to do that so it's a little more work than dropping it straight down but can be done fairly easily.

The power bridge is only used to hide cables. However, I don't think it would work in your case since both parts would need to be within the same stud cavity but you'll have a fireplace in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by vtbones View Post
    The power bridge is only used to hide cables. However, I don't think it would work in your case since both parts would need to be within the same stud cavity but you'll have a fireplace in the way.
    If I buy a longer cable and run it around the corner I should be able to terminate it there right? You can buy up to an 18' cable with the powerbridge unit. I'll just have to cut away some drywall.

put down a mat or something in case you fall off

I ran a composite from my cable box to the tv so I can listen to music and have something on the tv with no sound (like a football game) but your receiver may be smart enough to do that. Mine is not...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk