Will, a solution to the unread thread / topic problem...

I personally love the new format, but there's a couple things that do make a little tough to follow even for an experienced vB user. My biggest beef is the greying out of topic titles.

In other forums I frequent, topics with unread posts and previously read posts are the same color, but topics with unread posts are bold. When you click a topic title and then return to the topic list, the title is still the same color, but it's simple no longer bold.

On this site once you have clicked a topic title it goes from bold to non-bold, but it also turns from maroon to grey. We've all been conditioned to understand that topics we've already read turn grey, but when someone adds a post the title turns bold again.

Sorry if that is hard to follow, but basically you have conflicting info. You have Bold text that says, "You haven't read this yet," but you have grey text that says,"You read me already..." That has been a little tricky for me to follow. I've gotten the hang of it, but it still makes me think twice when I'm opening a topic I read previously...

It's not too hard to remember the title of a well talked about topic, and I think the greying out of titles needs to go.

Quote Originally Posted by hokiehunter07 View Post
    It's not too hard to remember the title of a well talked about topic, and I think the greying out of titles needs to go.
    I suspect the "greying out" is an artifact of accommodating the threaded view plugin/users. The folks sticking with threaded view are used to seeing "read" posts "greyed out" so it's not likely to go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokerer View Post
    I suspect the "greying out" is an artifact of accommodating the threaded view plugin/users. The folks sticking with threaded view are used to seeing "read" posts "greyed out" so it's not likely to go away.
    Yep, but thanks for the note, hokiehunter07, I learned something. We might be able to make the two areas function differently.
    Always use "Reply With Quote", so everyone knows to whom you're responding.

If you want an example of a smooth running vB site check out archerytalk.com. That thing has been running vB with very few hitches for years and years. They're format is about perfect.

Will, quick related question, and sorry if you've already answered this elsewhere. I understand the bit about threads being greyed out, but I'm not seeing the bold/unbold behavior as described by hokiehunter07 above. When I read a thread, it turns grey in the main listing, but even when I know there are no new responses and I refresh the main index page, the thread title still shows up in bold. For example, at least right now there are no replies to the "NFL Hardest Hits/Kam Chancellor" thread. And yet after reading it and reloading the index page, I expect the thread title to be grey (which it is) and normal font (which it isn't). Any clues?

Also, and perhaps related, when I click on a thread that I know has new responses, it doesn't take me automatically to the first unread post, which I swear I've seen other vB-based forums do. This is in linear/oldest-first mode FWIW. Am I missing some obvious setting, or is this another issue having to do with the threaded-mode plugin?

Browser info, if it matters: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:8.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/8.0.1
    "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

--Leonardo da Vinci