Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hokiefan5 View Post
    I'm saying 50% or more. Seems like a lot of old poster names are missing.
    If so, It makes me sad.
    Yea - hold your hand up if you aren't posting

If so, It makes me sad.
    As sad as it is to lose people in the short term, in the long term this new site will attract more people. The old format was freakishly ancient, and likely kept away a number of people as well. People expect more from a message board these days.

Also, people have to change the way they post. The drive-by one-liners don't stand out as much in linear format. Linear threads encourage more conversation among posters, and deeper discussions.

Good threads can stay on the first page for as long as they're relevant now, instead of being bumped down by random thoughts of the day that were typical on the old format.

Personally, I'm excited about the message board changes and their implications for conversations here. Hopefully the older folks will come back as they internalize how to navigate the boards (hint: LINEAR MODE). All we need now is a little beautification of the boards. I'd like some maroon and orange please!

If so, It makes me sad.
    I for one just hit with bad timing...I take a quick look almost every day, but I started 5 college classes this semester in addition to working and coaching high school basketball...I just don't have much "down time" to read...

I don't really have any complaints about the new stuff. It is different, not worse. Shrug.

CH

Quote Originally Posted by RapmasterAC View Post
    As sad as it is to lose people in the short term, in the long term this new site will attract more people. The old format was freakishly ancient, and likely kept away a number of people as well. People expect more from a message board these days.
    Here's the thing, though: We're getting slaughtered on subscriptions. If it was just an issue of page views and unique visitors being down, and the attendant drop in advertising, then we would suck it up for a while.

But we're seeing a 20% drop in subscriptions since the change. That is HUGE money, and we can't go on like this. It's pretty clear that a large portion of our user base has taken one look at the boards and gone, "Blech. I'm done."

So we're going to be very aggressive with making the new boards look and function like the old boards, in threaded mode. I have sent a list of formatting changes to the programmer, and he's going to mock things up on a test mule, so we can tweak and tune things before bringing them over here.

The changes to threaded mode will include:

1.) On the home page of a board, threads will be sorted by "Thread Start Time", not "Last Post Time." This will enable people who are familiar with the old format to see the scrolling threads that they had grown to like. Look for the return of "Great shot!" and "Well, that was dumb. **" and "SIR: Perez-Means to tight end", as well as "Germans Bomb Pearl Harbor."

2.) Within a message, the body of the post will appear at the top, followed by the thread, followed by Reply capability. The scroll bars on the thread display will be removed. This will look more like the old board. (Currently, inside a post, the thread -- with scroll bars -- is at the top, followed by the message, followed by the Reply capability.)

3.) In threaded mode, each click of a post will result in a new page being loaded. This will enable users to glance at the index page of a board and see what posts they have read, and which ones they haven't ... like the old board. (Currently, the subject lines don't change color in threaded mode, because of the preloading of posts that occurs within a message.) Linear mode and hybrid mode will still load multiple posts.

4.) TSL Host icons will appear next to my name and Chris's name in threaded mode. I have also requested special icons for gurus, CVillehoops13, bourbonstreet, Raleigh Hokie, etc.

I have requested that the programmer investigate making all of these changes, and I hope that all of them are possible and relatively easy.

These will all be changes to threaded mode only -- linear and hybrid won't change. I don't know how we're going to resolve the "Reply With Quote" issues, so linear users won't wind up totally befuddled by threaded users talking back and forth to each other. What linear users will find is that after a little time, they're the only ones talking to each other in a thread, because it will have scrolled off the page for threaded users.

Sorry, I know this is going to be confusing to have people use the boards in two completely different modes, but we simply CANNOT sit here and take a 20% hit in revenue, and just smile and say, "People will get used to it." We're getting killed here, and I've got a family to support, as do the other guys in this company (except for CC, who's got a Mustang to support).

I had hoped that our user base would adapt to the changes, but they're clearly not, and they're voting with their wallets. So off we go, to make vBulletin function like our old boards. It's disappointing, because I really wanted everyone to transition over to topic/linear mode, but I have been surprised at how much of our user base just .... can ... not ... do it. This isn't a criticism or a judgment; it's just a fact.
    Always use "Reply With Quote", so everyone knows to whom you're responding.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Stewart View Post
    I had hoped that our user base would adapt to the changes, but they're clearly not, and they're voting with their wallets. So off we go, to make vBulletin function like our old boards. It's disappointing, because I really wanted everyone to transition over to topic/linear mode, but I have been surprised at how much of our user base just .... can ... not ... do it. This isn't a criticism or a judgment; it's just a fact.
    That's really too bad. These last few weeks have seen some of the best discussion ever on this board. It was really encouraging me to come back again and again and engage in these great threads.

I'm probably not going to be participating on this board as much if you change that, but apparently I'm in the minority so it doesn't matter.

Best of luck to you and your site on this decision.
    There's a difference between a "fact" and an "opinion that you agree with."

Imhotep .. Imhotep .. Imhotep
    "That's some catch, that Catch 22!" - Capt. Yossarian

Quote Originally Posted by Groff View Post
    That's really too bad. These last few weeks have seen some of the best discussion ever on this board. It was really encouraging me to come back again and again and engage in these great threads.

I'm probably not going to be participating on this board as much if you change that, but apparently I'm in the minority so it doesn't matter.

Ditto. One of the best things for me was tapatalk. But tapatalk is linear only and if the board goes back to where most of the action is in the old linear style, tapatalk will be pretty useless.

Oh well. I'll still get the articles!

Quote Originally Posted by VTGolfer View Post
    Ditto. One of the best things for me was tapatalk. But tapatalk is linear only and if the board goes back to where most of the action is in the old linear style, tapatalk will be pretty useless.
    I don't think Tapatalk will look a whole lot different, but we'll see.
    Always use "Reply With Quote", so everyone knows to whom you're responding.

Havenít warmed up to the new format; I donít even participate in the OPT threads

only come for the daily news links now.

Quote Originally Posted by Groff View Post

It'll be interesting to see how this change affects the board in Topic View format. We'll be having an in-depth discussion about, say, how the reorg is going, and someone in the Threaded View will start a new post asking "Anyone picked their seats yet? How is that going?" I think people in the Threaded View are reeeeeeally gonna miss out on a lot of information and discussion. The key for Topic View people is to not have to post in two places to keep a conversation going.