Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 183
  1. #21
    Will Stewart's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18, 1999
    Location
    Radford, VA
    Posts
    42,910
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiekev 2k4 View Post
    At a BARE MINIMUM, this program should be top 2 in the state of VA. Over the past 8 years, I'd say it's been about 6th.

    Under no circumstances, EVER, should outsiders look at the state of Virginia and think that George Mason, Old Dominion, Richmond, and Virginia Commonwealth have better programs than VT. And right now, that considering the tournament success from all of those teams during the Seth era, that's exactly what outsiders should think. That should NEVER be true; it should always be VT and UVA as the only 2 programs people discuss as the best in the state.
    I agree, I think that's part of what the expectations for VT ought to be.

    And you and CVillehoops need to exercise the Ignore function on each other

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiekev 2k4 View Post
    There is no other way to look at the counter-point to my argument, because the counter-point is ridiculous. You say that people with that mentality are not aspiring to be mediocre, but I just don't see how it could be construed any other way.

    I have read the opposing sides of my argument, and I feel that that viewpoint is "loser talk," pure and simple. Calling my quote "juvenile" seems pretty crazy to me -- I'm simply pointing out how ridiculous it sounds when our fans handicap this program with mediocre expectations, just because of geography or lack of history.
    So if I'm a Northwestern fan it wouldn't be unreasonable for me to hold my program to the expectation that it regularly make the NCAA tournament and finish right below the very top of the league while at the least bordering on being a top-25 talk? Anything less than that wouldn't be realistic it'd be loser talk?

  3. #23

    Join Date
    December 22, 2002
    Posts
    4,351
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Hoke View Post
    That's a very good one I agree with. Do that and we'll be in more NCAA tournaments. Plus, there's no excuse for a program with our resources to be playing second (or sixth) fiddle to those teams. And I also believe we need to prove we are reaching that goal by playing them OOC regularly and beating them, to leave nothing for second guessing.
    Listen, we don't have near the resources that Duke, UNC, NC st, Maryland, or UVA has. I've heard that uva, NC st, and uva's arenas are all nearly NBA calibre. I've been to two and can attest to that. Additionaly, schools like Miami, bc, and gt are are located smack dab in the middle of three of the ten biggest metro areas in the country. And BTW, 10 or 11 of the teams in the ACC have more tradition than VT.

  4. #24
    As a fan, you set the bar extremely low for VT basketball.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiekev 2k4 View Post
    At a BARE MINIMUM, this program should be top 2 in the state of VA. Over the past 8 years, I'd say it's been about 6th.

    Under no circumstances, EVER, should outsiders look at the state of Virginia and think that George Mason, Old Dominion, Richmond, and Virginia Commonwealth have better programs than VT. And right now, that considering the tournament success from all of those teams during the Seth era, that's exactly what outsiders should think. That should NEVER be true; it should always be VT and UVA as the only 2 programs people discuss as the best in the state.
    I know we disagree quite a bit but I'm with you on that criteria - I know the CAA has really risen in the last few years but VT should always be far ahead of those programs on the whole (obviously exceptions in a certain year can happen). As it stands neither UVa or VT separated themselves from Mason, ODU, VCU and Richmond and that has gone on for a pretty significant stretch now.

  6. #26
    Hubman's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 01, 2003
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA (757!!)
    Posts
    8,990
    Quote Originally Posted by Cvillehoops13 View Post
    So if I'm a Northwestern fan it wouldn't be unreasonable for me to hold my program to the expectation that it regularly make the NCAA tournament and finish right below the very top of the league while at the least bordering on being a top-25 talk? Anything less than that wouldn't be realistic it'd be loser talk?
    One minor difference between Northwestern and VT....................................

    Northwestern has been in the Big Ten for over 100 years. VT has been in the ACC for under a decade. Before we kill all of VT's expectations, can we please give ourselves a shot in the most tradition-rich basketball conference in NCAA history?

    If you would like to set expectations for Northwestern basketball, I think you have a solid foundation of information to do that. As for VT, I would rather not stove pipe us in mediocrity just yet........

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiekev 2k4 View Post

    Or, for those of us that are more ambitious and aspire to be more than mediocre, I'd say this program could be the equivalent of Purdue/Illinois (also engineering schools in small towns): solid teams, generally hovering near the top 25, and making the tourney more often than not.
    I used to live in Champaign. My daughter was born in Urbana. It is not that small and a hell of a lot bigger than Blacksburg. Also, Chicago is relatively nearby.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    December 22, 2002
    Posts
    4,351
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiekev 2k4 View Post
    There is no other way to look at the counter-point to my argument, because the counter-point is ridiculous. You say that people with that mentality are not aspiring to be mediocre, but I just don't see how it could be construed any other way.

    I have read the opposing sides of my argument, and I feel that that viewpoint is "loser talk," pure and simple. Calling my quote "juvenile" seems pretty crazy to me -- I'm simply pointing out how ridiculous it sounds when our fans handicap this program with mediocre expectations, just because of geography or lack of history.
    Here's the thing, you're opinion that SG is a bad coach is ridiculous. Nearly, everybody that seems to know bball have told you so. Is it possible that VT can achieve the success it has in fball? Yes, but just know that what Beamer has accomplished is unprecedented in recent history. Literally, NOBODY has built a program from nothing as he has in 20 years. Therefore, its ridiculous to assume it can be done in bball. I think being in the upper half of the acc regularly, while having the occasionaly nationaly competitive team is great. Consider this, we are in the bottom half of our conference in nearly EVERY category I can imagine to rate bball programs. Tradition, location, facilities, academic ranking, etc... And by the way this board has turned on our coaches and players, its pretty safe to say, our bball fan support is bottom half.

  9. #29
    Cvillehoops knows his stuff, but I can already see him telling us we can't expect to win big in football either after Beamer retires. I can see him telling us how we just simply got "lucky" with Beamer and now that we're 6-6/7-5 for three or four years in a row, howe should just be happy with that. It's too funny. Those of us with high expectations for our programs are the ones being accused of being UVA fans or other garbage. But hey, having expectations that are extremely low is apparently just fine.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by KingslandHokie View Post
    Cvillehoops knows his stuff, but I can already see him telling us we can't expect to win big in football either after Beamer retires. I can see him telling us how we just simply got "lucky" with Beamer and now that we're 6-6/7-5 for three or four years in a row, howe should just be happy with that. It's too funny. Those of us with high expectations for our programs are the ones being accused of being UVA fans or other garbage. But hey, having expectations that are extremely low is apparently just fine.
    I think hoping for the best is great, but I also think it needs to be tempered with some realism in there. I think VT has a ceiling higher than we've seen but in terms of consistent performance over a 10 year period I think the criteria I laid out is pretty solid.

    I'd love VT bball to be wildly successful but the reality is that this is a conference where almost every other program has advantages over VT and has more support behind their program in terms of fans and money and it isn't like those schools are sitting on their hands.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •