Page 1 of 19 123456711 ... LastLast

What should this program aspire to be?

During our run of losses over recent weeks I've seen a lot of posts and opinions given and questions about what the expectation of Virginia Tech basketball should be. Especially with comments such as players not willing to come to Blacksburg since it is remote, or lack of basketball tradition, so called "ceilings". I thought it would make an interesting thread to see what people really think about that, what the consensus may be. Also, since Cvillehoops appears to be very knowledgable of the game and his opinions most generally accepted/respected on this board, am very interested in his opinion. I've said before I think we can be better but I'll leave it at that for now since I'm just really wanting to see what people think on their own rather than having them commenting on mine. Again,just trying to see if there is one consensus opinion that stands out to be stronger than others.

Update to original post: Thanks to all, mostly really good comments and side discussions. It seems by a wide margin that those who responded objectively to the question think we can be better than we are. There is pretty much agreement among that group that routine trips to the NCAA an average of every other year and no less than 3 times in a decade, with an occasional deep run (at least Sweet 16) would represent attainment of a successful program here at Virginia Tech. That kind of performance seems attainable to me for a program that has the resouces we have to work with - if we have a solid commitment to the program from our AD. Additionally we should be performing at a greater level than the other in-state teams - I think it is reasonable and desirable for us to aspire to be the best in state team and that should be a goal from year to year, at least splitting with the hoos. I do not believe it is acceptable in most years for a CAA team to be picked at-large instead of us, although a true rebuilding year could be an occasional exception.
    Last edited by NC Hoke; Tue Jan 31 2012 at 11:15 PM.

I think we should aspire to be a team that makes the NCAA tournament more often than not, and that usually finishes in the top 6 of the ACC. I would love to reach the level FSU has under Hamilton.
    SteveA

Quote Originally Posted by NC Hoke View Post
    During our run of losses over recent weeks I've seen a lot of posts and opinions given and questions about what the expectation of Virginia Tech basketball should be. Especially with comments such as players not willing to come to Blacksburg since it is remote, or lack of basketball tradition, so called "ceilings". I thought it would make an interesting thread to see what people really think about that, what the consensus may be. Also, since Cvillehoops appears to be very knowledgable of the game and his opinions most generally accepted/respected on this board, am very interested in his opinion. I've said before I think we can be better but I'll leave it at that for now since I'm just really wanting to see what people think on their own rather than having them commenting on mine. Again,just trying to see if there is one consensus opinion that stands out to be stronger than others.
    Successful

Improving on a consistent basis. Classes come and go, but the goal should be to consistently get better as years pass. Coaches should improve. Individual players should improve. Recruiting should improve. The program should improve in wins and losses. I'd be more than willing to write off a bad year as an anomaly, especially one where you lose a bunch of key contributors and play a bunch of freshmen.

That said, I'm not sure that I've seen that over the course of Seth's run here. I think I've seen recruiting improve and I've been pretty happy with W-L records and Lord knows we've had our fair share of injuries. I've been disappointed in the offense over the long term, spanning numerous classes of players. It's pretty hard to blame long term problems on anything but a coaching staff because they are implementing the system, recruiting the players, and teaching the players to execute it. It is the job of the coaching staff to make sure that the system, players, and execution are aligned for success. I am admittedly a moron when it comes to the nuts-n-bolts of college basketball offense, but I think it would be hard to argue otherwise.

As a fan, I would be happy being competitive in the NCAA tourney in most years, with NITs as occasional consolation. As a competitor, I would hate losing anything or feeling like I hadn't done everything in my power to achieve the best possible results given my resources. Then I'd get more resources... whether they be players, coaches, improved systems, etc. If I still didn't win every game, I'd start throwing chairs on the court. That's what I'd do.

What is there 37 at-larges(?) that are all fighting in a pool of 120(?)or so at-large caliber schools. I'd say 3 to 4 appearences every 10 years would be nice.

Win the next game. Win the last game.

...what the expectation of Virginia Tech basketball should be.
    Routine trips to NCAA tourney where we win a game or two. To me success in this sport is not just making the tourney but also having the coach and players that have the ability to make a run in the tournament as well. Just making the tournament should be routine. ex: Purdue, Pitt, WVU among others.

We've got a ways to go but in my opinion this is what we surely should be striving for.

What should this program aspire to be?
    "Better than the Ricky Stokes era."

Because, "It's too hard to win at VT." And, "We have no history of tradition."

Or, for those of us that are more ambitious and aspire to be more than mediocre, I'd say this program could be the equivalent of Purdue/Illinois (also engineering schools in small towns): solid teams, generally hovering near the top 25, and making the tourney more often than not.

Quote Originally Posted by hokiekev 2k4 View Post
    I'd say this program could be the equivalent of Purdue/Illinois (also engineering schools in small towns): solid teams, generally hovering near the top 25, and making the tourney more often than not.
    Great minds think alike!

Ding da ding ding. I think much of the dismay comes from communal wishful thinking..

Quote Originally Posted by hokiekev 2k4 View Post
    "Better than the Ricky Stokes era."

Because, "It's too hard to win at VT." And, "We have no history of tradition."

Or, for those of us that are more ambitious and aspire to be more than mediocre, I'd say this program could be the equivalent of Purdue/Illinois (also engineering schools in small towns): solid teams, generally hovering near the top 25, and making the tourney more often than not.
    After getting shut out of the NCAAs the last few years, that a fresh group combine with Hudson's leadership would finally break through. Like football in '93. Those of us with aspirations are just getting frustrated waiting for that.