Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FloydsBarberShop View Post
    I just don't get it. This old dog is frustrated.
    It's taken some time. I didn't love it at first, but I do now. I've already engaged in and witnessed more lively, rational discussion then I have in a long time with the old format.

It tends to favor those interested in real discussion. I dig it.

Quote Originally Posted by HokiePride81 View Post
    Agreed. The old format was unique, but now TSL is trying to be like the other message board formats, but it's just not happening. If I want the Rivals or Scout format, I'll go to those boards. I loved TSL because of its awesome format. Now? Not so much
    Its a chain restaurant now

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Hokie View Post
    If page views and ad impressions were the only goal, the other format would have won out. This format was chosen to give more options to the user, and facilitate better discussion.

The Chain restaurant slight implies a format based solely on the bottom line, while providing a bland, generic experience for the user.

Thats not what this offers.

Quote Originally Posted by FloydsBarberShop View Post
    I just don't get it. This old dog is frustrated.
    On the other hand, you will certainly delay Alzheimers if you work at trying to learn it.

I've been visiting Le' Sabre more as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Hokie View Post
    Yeah, I said last week it's like getting a Honda. Hondas are great cars. They don't break. You can drive them forever. Getting one is smart.

But you don't spend more time in a Honda then you have to. They're all function, no art.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobbler-100 View Post
    Yeah, I said last week it's like getting a Honda. Hondas are great cars. They don't break. You can drive them forever. Getting one is smart.

But you don't spend more time in a Honda then you have to. They're all function, no art.
    Where was the art in the old one?

who spends more time than they have to in a car? does anyone even go for "drives" any more?

This format is functional. Not sure what else people want from a message board.

Quote Originally Posted by beedubyah View Post
    Where was the art in the old one?
    The format lent itself to participating in multiple threads, on multiple boards, at the same time. You could see what was going on in multiple conversations simultaneously. It was like being able to walk into a party, immediately know what everyone was talking about, and engage in any as many discussions as you want.

Now, two things. First, even if what I just said was fact, rather than opinion, I still wouldn't be specifically criticizing the decision to switch formats. Will and Chris have explained over and over again why they had to do it. I don't see how this can be meaningfully debated anymore.

And, second, obviously what I said is an opinion. It amounts to a signal to noise ratio preference. What I described above sounds like a lot of noise to many people. Something they're happy to do without. But I liked the noise. I liked the one-liners and random interjections. They gave the board character. I liked the relatively rapid scrolling of messages off the board. It made for a more propulsive experience. You couldn't just not come to TSL for a whole day. Imagine what you might miss. Message boards with this kind of format have no visitation urgency. I can come back tomorrow or the next day or the day after that and the hoops board thread about why people are down on Seth will still be scrolling at or near the top.

The old format was a life experience. This format is an information delivery system.

Quote Originally Posted by HokiePride81 View Post
    I loved TSL because of its awesome format.
    You can still go to ND Nation, or The Sabre for a little while, if that's the case.

You are basically saying that you liked these discussion forums not for any actual discourse about Virginia Tech athletics, but because of a particular arrangement of cascading style sheets and hypertext markup. I don't know what to tell you, other than that you never actually liked forums in the first place.