Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

VT to SEC won't die - OKTC on SEC's 16 team future

Certainly not a stretch to imagine that this is what the SEC wants. The bigger question is, under what circumstances could VT be convinced to make the move?

http://outkickthecoverage.com/secs-f...ns-of-four.php

Quote Originally Posted by Tex-Mex View Post
    The bigger question is, under what circumstances could VT be convinced to make the move?
    agreed. if the ACC and B1G truly believed this was coming, i think they would likely work together to prevent it. how? no clue, but the SEC moving into the Mid-Atlantic is not in either of their best interest...

The bigger question is, under what circumstances could VT be convinced to make the move?

I just have a really hard time believing, after spending 50 years pining for and finally gaining ACC access, that Virginia Tech is going to unilaterally up and leave our home and perfect fit to join the SEC. I just don't believe we will be the first to leave the ACC.

And it's going to take something substantially more than losing NC State to convince us this ship is sinking. If the SEC is dead set against Florida State and Clemson, then we're not going anywhere.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie CPA View Post
    I just have a really hard time believing, after spending 50 years pining for and finally gaining ACC access, that Virginia Tech is going to unilaterally up and leave our home and perfect fit to join the SEC. I just don't believe we will be the first to leave the ACC.

And it's going to take something substantially more than losing NC State to convince us this ship is sinking. If the SEC is dead set against Florida State and Clemson, then we're not going anywhere.
    I agree, the SEC would have to take FSU in order for Tech or NCSU to even consider leaving the ACC. I know that the SEC has said that they aren't interested in FSU, but having FSU would pretty much give the SEC control of the 4th largest state (3rd largest in a decade) and a nationally followed football program. That would hurt the ACC, causing desired schools like Tech and NCSU to seriously consider the move. I still think Tech and NCSU will remain in the ACC. If the ACC schools stay committed to each other, the SEC may have to look west (Big 12) for their 15th and 16th team. This last part of expansion (going to 16 for SEC, ACC,..) won't be easy for any conference.

In the end, TV money may control the game. If Tech got double or triple the money it currently receives from conference distributions for switching leagues, I bet the administration would take a very hard look at that situation. Also, for that kind of money, the academic side would most likely negotiate/take their cut of the pie.

Don't think we go anywhere, but this looks like the perfect 16 team conference.

SEC East: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, NC State.
    SEC North: VaTech, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky.
    SEC South: Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi State, Ole Miss.
    SEC West: LSU, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Mizzou.

That's some big money for vt to turn down, and a schedule of Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, while rotating in another division and 2 from a third wouldn't be too tough.

Howabout this schedule?

W&M
    ECU
    Tennessee
    @Vanderbilt
    Kentucky
    @Alabama
    Ole Miss
    @Mississippi State
    Auburn
    @Texas A&M
    Missouri
    @UVA

VT could win 10 games. Even if you flip A&M and Mizzou for teams like Florida and UGA, VT could get 10 or so W's. Anyhow, Steger should take a long and hard look at such a proposal. Especially if your talking 50 mil/yr.

Certainly not a stretch to imagine that this is what the SEC wants. The bigger question is, under what circumstances could VT be convinced to make the move?

http://outkickthecoverage.com/secs-f...ns-of-four.php

I have to say I love this proposed division alignment (The Hokies could win the North Division every year, easier than the ACC). Of course the final four SEC games would be bears:

SEC East: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, NC State.
    SEC North: VaTech, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky.
    SEC South: Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi State, Ole Miss.
    SEC West: LSU, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Mizzou.

One interesting aspect of 4 team divisions is tie breakers will come into play often and could be very complex and excrutiating. Of course we Hokies are used to excruciating.
    Last edited by HokieJay; Sat Jan 28 2012 at 11:34 AM.
    May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
    Robert A. Heinlein

If that ever happened; it should be VT, SC, GA & NCSU in the same 4 team pod; KY, TN, vandy & mizzou; Fla, Auburn ,bama, & ole miss then LSU, A&M, miss st, ark

You can expect us to end up in a crappy division in the SEC. We're the new guys, the outsiders. I could imagine some horrific VT-NCSU-UK-USC division.

I would seriously mourn the loss of ACC membership. SEC basketball is so unappealing.

Unfortunately I agree. The only other scenario would be if ND went B1G and the ACC was looking to add UConn and Ruts - than VT may be willing to walk from ACC, but doubtful. ACC football has really fallen behind the other 3 major conferences and is close to Big East level of play. Basketball (as a whole) in the ACC is sliding as well and the SEC is starting to get serious about basketball.