Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 193
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by YBYSAIAHokie View Post
    Everyone ISN'T harsh on Seth. Just the fickle minority that have lots of internet time on their hands are.

    Seth has been so successful here at VT that he's raised fans expectations. I guess that's a good thing but you'll always have those fans with short memories and fickle, impulsive fans that want to fire everybody associated with VT BBall whenevery we have a disappointing loss. Thank God for the Ignore button.
    And by "fickle minority," you mean "half the fan base." I know for a fact that there are many season ticket holders, past and present, who either dropped their tickets or are dropping them because of dissatisfaction with Seth. When you expect to be better at something, being upset with the status quo does not make you "fickle," nor does it mean you "do not support the team." It simply means that you think things could be better than they currently are.

  2. #22
    Guy LeDouche's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18, 2003
    Location
    Next Door
    Posts
    9,555
    His teams are consistently inconsistent. Add a little more consistency (ie, not losing games to lesser opponents) and he would be great.

    Seth operates just below the NCAA tourney line. We anxiously await an invite, and get snubbed. He's done very good things, but I'd like to see us do more.
    Drink better than eat.....eat better than no drink.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    October 09, 1999
    Posts
    39,791
    Half the fanbase? You're delusional. Not even close.

  4. #24
    Hubman's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 01, 2003
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA (757!!)
    Posts
    9,012
    If you are happy with 15-20 win seasons and NIT's he is your guy.......Cupcakes will always get Seth about 9 wins, and he has shown that with talent, he can capture anywhere between 7-9 ACC wins. He has not proven he can get teams beyond the NIT, and he has not proven he can even perform well in the postseason. We know his limitations as a coach. There is not much about CSG that comes as a surprise to anyone anymore. If you think he is a good coach and want him to stay, great. If you are like me, and think we will require someone else to take us to the next level, you are expecting a change in the coming years. It is what it is; however, if CSG could not take that 2008 recruiting class to one NCAA tourney, I just don't see his taking this class to one........

  5. #25

    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Posts
    14,880
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiekev 2k4 View Post
    And by "fickle minority," you mean "half the fan base." I know for a fact that there are many season ticket holders, past and present, who either dropped their tickets or are dropping them because of dissatisfaction with Seth. When you expect to be better at something, being upset with the status quo does not make you "fickle," nor does it mean you "do not support the team." It simply means that you think things could be better than they currently are.
    I don't mean to slander 'half the fanbase', as reasonable minds can certainly differ, but to me this whole discussion just reeks of a lack of historical knowledge of VT's bball program, Seth's tenure thus far and very much indicative of the what have you done for me lately sports fan mentality that I have come to loathe. We are 3rd or 4th in the ACC since Seth has taken over after going through a historically 'dark' period in our history. (And we're VT so that's saying something) Our recruiting has burgeoned, as has our overall play. (facts) We've had an inordinate amount of 'bad luck' (yes I know sports fans aren't receptive to that concept and to bring it up is whining) go against us and we're extremely young right now. Other than the top echelon of coaches, who wouldn't come to VT, who is going to come to Southwest Virginia, take over a historically bad bball program and do better?

    While I take issue with the instant gratification tone of judging Seth and the entire program on the heels of a losing streak, I am receptive to those noting that Seth is flawed and his ceiling isn't as high as Huggins, Krzyzewski, Calipari, Roy Williams...but the fact of the matter is those guys aren't coming here.

    I guess the tangible question is...What would you do if you're Weaver? Fire the winningest head coach in VT bball history? And replace him with who?

    And why weren't we having this discussion a month ago?

  6. #26
    Hubman's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 01, 2003
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA (757!!)
    Posts
    9,012
    I talk to a wide variety of Hokie fans all the time............The truth is, most have no clue how Seth is doing with the basketball team and don't seem to really care. That to me is a sign that a coach is not really capturing a fan base. The fans that do care about basketball are split, AT BEST, over Seth. Most agree that he is not a great in-game coach, but they are split on whether or not we should get rid of him.......To say the critics of Seth are a fickle minority is so beyond wrong it is crazy. You sound like you are living on a fantasy island somewhere when you say that.........

  7. #27

    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Posts
    14,880
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubman View Post
    To say the critics of Seth are a fickle minority is so beyond wrong it is crazy.
    You are allowed to be a critic of Seth, realize his strength and weaknesses, and still support him.
    Last edited by beedubyah; Mon Jan 23 2012 at 12:39 PM.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    January 01, 2005
    Posts
    799

    Question for you, or anybody else who might know

    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Hokie 95 View Post
    Here's the thing re: buying out a contract -- you're almost always going to HAVE to buy out a contract. They're rolled over to give coaches a four-year window, usually, to stave off the negative recruiting of "don't go to X school, you don't even know if their coach will be there when you graduate!" In two years, he'll either get another extension, or get fired. There's hardly any "just coach out the rest of your contract." You just can't have a lame duck coach.
    Do you know for certain that he has that kind of provision in his contract?

  9. #29
    Hubman's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 01, 2003
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA (757!!)
    Posts
    9,012
    I think people are over the "VT has always sucked" argument..........it was cute at first, but people are trying to move beyond that because we sound like a cat with its tail between its legs when we keep preaching this........HISTORICALLY, we have NEVER been in the ACC. You can bring up all you want about the past, but it is not the past, it is not the same conference, resources are completey different, etc. I will never understand why we would accept medocrity because we have been historically mediocre, under vastly different circumstances.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    July 11, 2001
    Posts
    18,411
    Quote Originally Posted by beedubyah View Post
    I don't mean to slander 'half the fanbase', as reasonable minds can certainly differ,
    Haha, "I don't mean to slander 'half the fanbase,' but I am going to..."

    There are valid arguments to be made on both sides of the discussion. The overall level of discourse could be greatly elevated if we actually discussed things like adults and stopped huring insults at people who disagree with us. I have plently of knowledge of historical knowledge of this school's basketball program and completely disagree with you.

    I find it ironic that you used Bob Huggins as a counter example of the type of coach "who would never come here." I mean, could you just imagine a coach like Huggins slumming at an isolated college town in the middle of the mountains and actually being successful there? Truly such a scenario is impossible...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •