Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Pot calling the kettle black here. How did that 2006 comment about our team work out? Something along the lines of they suck and they aren't going anywhere. Yet they nearly won the conference and were a 5 seed in the tournament. Just saying Seth ain't the only one that's a little unstable around here.

"Suk it"? Isn't that a TOS violation?
    Yeah, I admit SG has coaching flaws. But what coach doesn't? Coach DeVoe had flaws. Coach Moir did, too. BFD. The team is going through a tough time right now. A fickle fan is one that praises the coach when times are good and calls for his firing when times go south. If it was up to our fickle fanbase, Coach Beamer would've been fired after the 1992 season.
    I rest my case.

Inability to recruit centers and run the type of half court offense that goes with a true big man. Without that in a team's game it will always be inconsistent and will lose games when the shooting game goes south. It has been said that they are hard to recruit but during his tenure Radford, UVA, VCU, and Mason have had some good centers.

It is because he hasn't won a NCAA championship.

Quote Originally Posted by YBYSAIAHokie View Post
    "Suk it"? Isn't that a TOS violation?
    Yeah, I admit SG has coaching flaws. But what coach doesn't? Coach DeVoe had flaws. Coach Moir did, too. BFD. The team is going through a tough time right now. A fickle fan is one that praises the coach when times are good and calls for his firing when times go south. If it was up to our fickle fanbase, Coach Beamer would've been fired after the 1992 season.
    I rest my case.
    I'll correct you, not only would Beamer have been fired after 1992...but multiple times since.

Quote Originally Posted by 133919Hokie View Post
    Inability to recruit centers and run the type of half court offense that goes with a true big man. Without that in a team's game it will always be inconsistent and will lose games when the shooting game goes south. It has been said that they are hard to recruit but during his tenure Radford, UVA, VCU, and Mason have had some good centers.
    I am harsh not because of the teams inability to run a half court offense that goes with a true center, but to run a half court offense at all. We don't have an offensive game. If he ever gets the true big man we will see if he has the ability to install that kind of offense, but so far he hasn't been able to instal anything that looks like an offense.

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityHokie80 View Post
    I am not one of the basketball gurus but I ask this common sense question, Why is everyone so harsh on Seth? The man has rebuilt a team that in shambles when he took over. He has had multiple 20 win seasons. He has had multiple 10+ wins in ACC play. His teams has beaten Duke and North Carolina. He has gotten the team to a post season tournament almost every year he has been here. We seem to be happy with his recruiting classes. His teams play tough defense. This year's team is made up of a bunch of Freshman. I think it lacks strong Senior leadership. It is a rebuilding year. I have personally met Seth a couple of times and he has a great personality and seems to be a real people person who cares about our program. Doesn't Seth have some good will built up. Maybe I'm missing something. I just don't get all of the negative talk and calls for his job.
    The arguments both for and against Seth's continued tenure as a coach here have been hashed out to a great extent on this board. This is almost certain to come out in a way that I don't intend it to, but if you go and read some of the bigger threads on this subject you'll get full coverage of both the pro- and anti- arguments. They are both valid.

Basically it comes down to:
    1) If you think making the tournament is important or not
    2) The degree to which you accept various interpretations of the word "fate" as a valid reason for not making the tournament in the last 4 years.

It appears that VT fans have figured out that during Seth's tenure, he appears incapable of coaching his teams (consistently) to any position ABOVE the middle of the ACC pack. (JMHO)

Yes. Just because a guy works for TSL doesn't make everything he says true.

People are legitimately wanting to buy out Seth's contract? Man. I know Seth has his shortcomings and isn't a top tier bball coach...But really? What in VT's history and its current performance thus far in the ACC would legitimize such a move?