Page 1 of 20 123456711 ... LastLast

Why is everyone so harsh on Seth?

I am not one of the basketball gurus but I ask this common sense question, Why is everyone so harsh on Seth? The man has rebuilt a team that in shambles when he took over. He has had multiple 20 win seasons. He has had multiple 10+ wins in ACC play. His teams has beaten Duke and North Carolina. He has gotten the team to a post season tournament almost every year he has been here. We seem to be happy with his recruiting classes. His teams play tough defense. This year's team is made up of a bunch of Freshman. I think it lacks strong Senior leadership. It is a rebuilding year. I have personally met Seth a couple of times and he has a great personality and seems to be a real people person who cares about our program. Doesn't Seth have some good will built up. Maybe I'm missing something. I just don't get all of the negative talk and calls for his job.

I think that there would be more good will had we made the NCAA tourney a few more times.
    I do give him a ton of credit for doing what he has done here. I believe some are starting to think he may have brought us as far as he can due to:
    -Bad losses that put us on the bubble in the first place the last few years
    -A bad half court offense
    -At best- an odd tone of diplomacy with players and media. He recruits well but you dont see a ton of former players praising his guidance.

I think he that if they miss the next 2 tourney he will be gone. Personally I think he has earned at least 3.

Plateau frustration, for lack of better words. I think the initial enthusiasm during our program's resurgence has worn off and fans have, mostly, settled in. The expectation at this point is more NCAAs whereas at first it was let's just make the postseason or finish with a winning record.

I like Greenberg's intensity, I love the way his teams play defense, I love the way he represents the university and runs a clean program; but I also think his lack of offense, poor basketball fundamentals, playing up and down to competition, and terrible shot selection (all have plagued every team to some extent), have cost us over the years. There have been personnel issues and other unfortunate circumstances, but some of us feel like we shouldn't have endured some of the losses we have in bubble years and feel like poor preparation and poor play caused us to be omitted from the NCAAs more than anything.

I certainly think there's less criticism if the committee chooses us over another at-large at least one year, but I still believe there were controllable things we did not take advantage of to get in more often than not.

My support of Greenberg is not as strong as it once was, but I am patient enough to let the next few years play out before making any strong or final judgments on the man.
    Last edited by AHBHokie; Sun Jan 22 2012 at 11:55 PM.

He will be gone well before 3 more NCAA misses, if the financial support, in the form of tickets bought, continues to fall off the cliff.

Wins and losses will not get Weaver's attention. However, if the basketball program starts to bleed red ink, Weaver will make a change.

Everyone ISN'T harsh on Seth. Just the fickle minority that have lots of internet time on their hands are.

Seth has been so successful here at VT that he's raised fans expectations. I guess that's a good thing but you'll always have those fans with short memories and fickle, impulsive fans that want to fire everybody associated with VT BBall whenevery we have a disappointing loss. Thank God for the Ignore button.

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityHokie80 View Post
    I am not one of the basketball gurus but I ask this common sense question, Why is everyone so harsh on Seth? The man has rebuilt a team that in shambles when he took over. He has had multiple 20 win seasons. He has had multiple 10+ wins in ACC play. His teams has beaten Duke and North Carolina. He has gotten the team to a post season tournament almost every year he has been here. We seem to be happy with his recruiting classes. His teams play tough defense. This year's team is made up of a bunch of Freshman. I think it lacks strong Senior leadership. It is a rebuilding year. I have personally met Seth a couple of times and he has a great personality and seems to be a real people person who cares about our program. Doesn't Seth have some good will built up. Maybe I'm missing something. I just don't get all of the negative talk and calls for his job.
    I wonder the same thing. He has some good will built up with me, but I have zero influence on any decision. I can only hope the people who do have an influence on his job status are as rational as your post above

I think he stays until the end of his contract. Why?

I think we will be on the NCAA bubble for those 4 years - which isn't horrible.
    I don't think Weaver will ever buy anybody out of a contract that big. I am old fashioned I guess, but, i think we should honor his contract if he is palying by the rules and palying in the top half of the ACC.
    I sincerely am not trying to be mean here, but, I really do not want Weaver to hire our next coach. I am not impressed with the long term bebenfit to VT of any of his hires (other than they are not s big financial hit to us). I think Weaver will be retiring in the next 4 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Bcscg View Post
    I think he stays until the end of his contract. Why?

I think we will be on the NCAA bubble for those 4 years - which isn't horrible.
    I don't think Weaver will ever buy anybody out of a contract that big. I am old fashioned I guess, but, i think we should honor his contract if he is palying by the rules and palying in the top half of the ACC.
    I sincerely am not trying to be mean here, but, I really do not want Weaver to hire our next coach. I am not impressed with the long term bebenfit to VT of any of his hires (other than they are not s big financial hit to us). I think Weaver will be retiring in the next 4 years?
    Here's the thing re: buying out a contract -- you're almost always going to HAVE to buy out a contract. They're rolled over to give coaches a four-year window, usually, to stave off the negative recruiting of "don't go to X school, you don't even know if their coach will be there when you graduate!" In two years, he'll either get another extension, or get fired. There's hardly any "just coach out the rest of your contract." You just can't have a lame duck coach.

Must be the multiple 10+ wins. Get FB in trouble on TOB, too. TIC
    "That's some catch, that Catch 22!" - Capt. Yossarian

So I guess Chris Coleman is part of the fickle minority that has too much internet time on his hands? ... Seth has serious flaws and if you can't recognize that, then you should be ignored too.
    "It's easy to grin, when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat. But the man worthwhile, is the man who can smile, when his shorts are too tight in the seat."