Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bottom line - I just long for VT in the SEC - would love to see those games, both home and away. But this will never happen ;-)

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by gern View Post
    Geography is my preferred method, anything else feels overly force to me:

North: Syr, Pitt, BC, MD, VT, UVA, NCSU
    South: Miami, FSU, Clemson, GT, Wake, Duke, UNC

Seems pretty balanced to me over last 10-20 years.
    As a northern Hokie, I long for the days of playing the Big East schools. When there were more Virginia Tech fans at Rutgers than Jersey people. I also think the ACC continually misses the boat on Va Tech vs. Maryland. Considering how well the Hokies draw at Fed Ex field (granted Boise St and USC are better opponents than the Terps), I can't believe the ACC doesn't want Tech playing Maryland every year. Geographically based leagues would ensure that happening.

If you go North and South. Then move Miami North because they are more northern (culture and student body wise) and NCSU to the South because they are more Southern and the Triangle is NOT going to be broken up. Again "if" you are going to make a change to North and South...here is how I see it with the cross overs it is pretty good schedule if you ask me. Especially with the cross over games.

North: Cross Over South:
    Miami vs FSU
    VT vs NCSU
    UVa vs UNC
    UMd vs Clemson
    Pitt vs GT
    BC vs Wake
    SU vs Duke
    Last edited by Stech; Fri Jan 20 2012 at 09:32 PM.

triangle isn't broken up - plenty of ways to deal with those guys who believe Dook vs UNC/NCSU football is meaningful to anyone.

As far as Miami FB goes, that program won't be better than WF over next 10 years (surprisingly close last 10 years imo). You'll be better off leaving Miami in the south imo if you want good matchups.

Funniest part will be the triangle claiming ND if they join. There'll be some tenuous argument of how Dook/UNC are sister orgs to ND or some such crap like that.

triangle isn't broken up - plenty of ways to deal with those guys who believe Dook vs UNC/NCSU football is meaningful to anyone.

As far as Miami FB goes, that program won't be better than WF over next 10 years (surprisingly close last 10 years imo). You'll be better off leaving Miami in the south imo if you want good matchups.

Funniest part will be the triangle claiming ND if they join. There'll be some tenuous argument of how Dook/UNC are sister orgs to ND or some such crap like that.

No way for either of us to know that Miami will be down for 10 years, but I highly doubt it last that long. Even with cut scholarships they will get great HS football players from down there. I will just say this though, Miami wanted Syracuse and Boston College before VT because their students and alumni are all over Mass and NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Star City View Post

Both alignments allow for an annual Maryland vs Pittsburgh match-up with out disturbing long standing ACC rivalries.
    I would keep the first alignment, but would put Pitt in the Coastal and Cuse in the Atlantic since Cuse is geographically closer to BC and Pitt isn't that far from Tech and UVa. Cuse and Pitt can be crossover rivals.

Yep

If my "research" is correct, Miami has finished in top 25 twice since joining the ACC in 2004. That isn't a very solid run right there imo and definitely not one for a "marquis" program. While they should (and have) continue to get quality players, the on-field results have been lackluster at best. Assuming the NCAA actually acts on a team that paid players, hookers, abortions, etc, that 7yr stretch won't improve any.

Your alignment places all of the fball power on one side, save VT.

Geography is my preferred method, anything else feels overly force to me:

North: Syr, Pitt, BC, MD, VT, UVA, NCSU
    South: Miami, FSU, Clemson, GT, Wake, Duke, UNC

Seems pretty balanced to me over last 10-20 years.
    I hope not! This would be like being back in the Big East, without the name, if it happened. The ACC finally brought us home where we belong. The change would have us again playing teams with little in common.