Virginia Tech

Clemson
    Florida State
    Maryland
    N.C. State
    Pittsburgh
    Syracuse
    Wake Forest

Both alignments allow for an annual Maryland vs Pittsburgh match-up with out disturbing long standing ACC rivalries.

Quote Originally Posted by Star City View Post

Both alignments allow for an annual Maryland vs Pittsburgh match-up with out disturbing long standing ACC rivalries.
    What's the big deal about a Maryland-Pitt match-up? No flame intended here, but they've only played each other five times, with the last contest occurring in 1992.

Slot Syracuse and Pitt in the existing divisions and move on, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie Fiji View Post

Slot Syracuse and Pitt in the existing divisions and move on, IMO.
    that's what his first lineup did, and i think that is exactly what is going to happen. the only thing that MIGHT change would be making BC 'Cuse's crossover and making Pitt VT's. i'd be heavily in favor of that, but it depends on whether or not Pitt and 'Cuse insist on playing each other every year, i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Star City View Post
    Duke
    Georgia Tech
    Miami
    North Carolina
    Syracuse
    Virginia
    Virginia Tech

Boston College
    Clemson
    Florida State
    Maryland
    N.C. State
    Pittsburgh
    Wake Forest

OR

Boston College
    Duke
    Georgia Tech
    Miami
    North Carolina
    Virginia
    Virginia Tech

Clemson
    Florida State
    Maryland
    N.C. State
    Pittsburgh
    Syracuse
    Wake Forest

Either one of those is fine but how about :

Duke
    Maryland
    North Carolina
    N.C. State
    Virginia
    Virginia Tech
    Wake Forest

Boston College
    Clemson
    Florida State
    Georgia Tech
    Miami
    Pittsburgh
    Syracuse

Keep all those close together mid atlantic teams together for travel reasons. And to insure VT division titles every year till the end of time.

Geography is my preferred method, anything else feels overly force to me:

North: Syr, Pitt, BC, MD, VT, UVA, NCSU
    South: Miami, FSU, Clemson, GT, Wake, Duke, UNC

Seems pretty balanced to me over last 10-20 years.

If we add Rutgers and UConn, a northern division will be a little too much like the old Big East for my taste.

Plus, there's four conference winners in the south and only one in the north since expansion.

I have to admit, though, if we were pretty much guaranteed a North division championship every year I'd take a quasi Big East division.

Quote Originally Posted by gern View Post
    Geography is my preferred method, anything else feels overly force to me:

North: Syr, Pitt, BC, MD, VT, UVA, NCSU
    South: Miami, FSU, Clemson, GT, Wake, Duke, UNC

Seems pretty balanced to me over last 10-20 years.

I think if you add UConn+SUNJ to north, you end up with more top 25 teams going forward but that's my WAG. If you look at the top 25 teams in the 16tm league since 2004 (I'll run w/ USA today poll cuz I like our ranking there this season better) you end up 17 in the north to 13 in the south. Granted, most of that is a function of VT's performance over that span but I don't see any reason to think the split will be fairly equitable even if the north doesn't have as many MNC titles as the south does (make no mistake, Miami and FSU won't be back to those levels ever in the new CFB landscape).

Oh, if you add ND and SUNJ/UConn instead of UConn/SUNJ, I think the north is a deeper division with some pretty good matchups. : )

2011: North - VT (17),
    South - CU (22), FSU (23)
    2010: North - VT (15), MD (24), NCSU (25)
    South - FSU (16)
    2009: North - VT (10), Pitt (15)
    South - GT (13), Mia (19)
    2008: North - VT (14),
    South - GT (22), FSU (23)
    2007: North - VT (9), BC (11)
    South - CU (22)
    2006: North - SUNJ (12), VT (18), BC (20)
    South - WF (17)
    2005: North - VT (7), BC (17)
    South - Mia (18), CU (21), FSU (23)
    2004: North - VT (10), BC (21), UVA (23)
    South - FSU (14)

Quote Originally Posted by gern View Post
    Geography is my preferred method
    the more i think about it, no divisions is my preferred method. change the NCAA requirement (hell, MAC already getting some sort of a waiver since the East never plays round robin after they went to 13 teams) of divisions and round robin play. just play a 10 game conference schedule in the ACC with 2 or 3 fixed rivals. using a single table standings format, #1 and #2 play for the conference championship. you may need a handful of tie breakers in place, but that's not a big deal. if everyone plays 10/13 possible conference teams, i think that would be enough to pick the top 2 pretty clearly. if the league goes to 16, 10/15 possible teams is still good. divisions with a league over 12 teams just makes it take forever to play everyone. you can rotate through other league teams faster without divisions.

I would hate for VT to be in the ACC Nordic division. Personally, I have no desire to visit any of those locations for away football games except for UVA.

if have 3 non-div games, you could travel to 3 "southern" schools per year. If you're like most folks, you'd probably just go to the closest game to you and be happy with that. So, if you are "south", you'd catch either the GT, CU or FSU away game that year.

If people don't like the divisions, just go with a rolling division selected randomly every other year (evens out home and aways), play 8 conf games, and have a sweet tiebreaker system to pick the CG teams. : )