Could new Big East actually get some decent Bowl tie ins?

For many conferences, geography is a challenge. IE, putting the ACC in a west coast bowl game. But now the new Big East has someone EVERYWHERE. They could get better bowls, just because they'll have a semi attractive team somewhere in that geography.

I still think they'll fail in the long run, but the new teams should help their bowl selection.

I don't think they'll get a $3 million or more bowl tie in. I've read hopes from Big East 3.0 fans, on one of their boards, that they think they can get the Cotton bowl if they lose their BCS AQ spot. I don't see it happening. They'll pick up the San Diego bowl and a lower level Texas bowl but I don't think their bowls will improve. They'll probably be lucky to hang on to the Champs Sports bowl even with 2 middle of Florida schools.

What good WC bowl would they get an auto to? Holiday? Fiesta? And what team would be going there (aside from BSU which doesn't appear to travel great to nonBCS bowl)? Signing up for a WC bowl knowing you have a better than 50% chance of getting an EC BE team would be financial suicide for the bowl. Better off just filling in at large bids on an as-needed basis.

who travels out of those fan bases?
    boise and looeyville? anyone else?

who generates eyeballs?
    boise. no one else.
    Happy Hour ... why no, it's not too early.

Boise sold 5k tickets to their Las Vegas bowl (including free tickets to FB program/athletic dept). So, I think that puts their magic number somewhere in 4500 seats through their ticket office. The school was allotted 11k seats to the bowl. I'm not convinced BSU fans will travel to midtier bowls any better than rest of BE.

Isn't that a double edged sword? Will an east coast bowl align themselves with the BE if they know they might get San Diego State or Boise? How about a west coast bowl if they think they might get Cincy or Rutgers? Unless they come up with a pod system of bowl selections... (tic)

Quote Originally Posted by Late 80s Hokie View Post
    For many conferences, geography is a challenge. IE, putting the ACC in a west coast bowl game. But now the new Big East has someone EVERYWHERE. They could get better bowls, just because they'll have a semi attractive team somewhere in that geography.

I still think they'll fail in the long run, but the new teams should help their bowl selection.

But most bowl agreements have selecting orders. So the bowl would skip a bad travel team.

Pretend Rutgers is Big East 2nd team, but their 2nd and 3rd best bowl picks are way out west and way down south. These 2 bowls both say "thanks, but no thanks" to Rutgers and pick Sand Diego State and Central Florida (for example).