Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I love how the few SG fans remaining are comparing our program.....

now to the Big East days. Talk about an apples and oranges comparison.

We Now Have:

Better facilities
    More money
    Better fan support
    ACC schedule
    Better overall talent

I give SG credit for a lot of that, but he has shown he is incapabale of taking this program to the NCAA Tournament on ANY sort of consistent basis. One time in eight years is absolutely horrible. Meanwhile, Clemson and FSU went to the tournament multiple times in that same time period. I don't recall them having much basketball history either.

So, if you're ok with the NIT being the ceiling for this program, you're entitled to that opinion. I'd like to think we do better than 1 NCAA Tournament appearance in eight years.

Having said that, he won't be canned after this year. He'll be out if we don't make the NCAA Tournament next year.

SG has pulled this program from the jaws of obscurity, but (rant inside)

if the best we can hope for is one or two wins against UNC or Duke every 2 or 3 years and early exits from both ACC and NIT tournaments then maybe Greenberg needs a change. Watching his courtside demeanor on Saturday he looked like he had run out of answers and fire. If that was the result of his players not performing to his satisfaction then that could be a result of a loss of control between SG and his players.

One could make the case that his floor leader Green was injured and that restricted what the team was able to do but such injuries creates opportunities for other team mates to step forward to lead, which has not happened. Victor Davila tried to do that but he clearly has problems with bigger inside players, like Clifford, which led to his foul trouble and it reduced his limited effectiveness down the stretch. 14 points and 4 rebounds against the weaker ACC teams just indicates that he will be eaten alive by the better big men in the league and Greenberg just cannot work with what he has. Dorenzo Hudson added 13 point but because he is no point guard, he also added 7 turnovers. Clearly the loss of Erick Green had a significant impact on the outcome of this game.

One could also make the case that this is a very young team. With the relatively weak out of conference schedule these guys have played, ACC play is a completely different beast, even a diluted league like this year. The first year players just have no idea how hard they have to play in order to be able to compete within the league let alone against the top tier teams. The coaching staff and the older players can tell the rookies what to expect but until the new players actually experience it for themselves, they really have no idea just what to expect.

Comparing VT's NCAA appearances to other programs like BC is interesting. Greenberg has just one appearance in 8 years while BC got to the NCAA tournament 4 times yet they fired Al Skinner during that same period. What also should be noted is the fact that Greenberg and Tech AD Jim Weaver have a history together. Unless something egregious happens within the VT basketball program or the AD retires, I don't see Seth Greenberg losing his job anytime soon.

Realistically, all we can do as fans and alumni is support the players because they made the decision to play their ball at Virginia Tech. Our response as fans must be measured and well thought because there is no way we can understand what the players are going through before, during or after a game and when they read stuff we post there is no way to tell what kind of emotional impact our words will have on the players.

Another thought just occurred to me. What if a future recruit is surfing message boards to get a feel about true fan support? Would reading harsh, uninformed criticism influence a decision to play for a program other than Tech? Would reading PATT posts cause someone to think, "Hey, VT has the best fans so let me take a closer look at them"? Most recruits say their choice comes down to a "home like feel". How we behave as fans, even on message boards, can go a long way to helping a future recruit feel at home.

Good points. Coach G isn't going anywhere so you Seth-haters can stop lobbying for him to be fired and start supporting your BBall program like a good fan would do.

I love the anti-SG delusion. You guys say we call you 'idiots' but you talke about Kool-Aid drinkers. You talk about the 'few' SG fans. Is that on this board, TSL, VT fans in general, the universe? Some of us support him to pull a team together one year without having to be a hospice nurse and orthopeodic surgeon.
    "That's some catch, that Catch 22!" - Capt. Yossarian

Quote Originally Posted by YBYSAIAHokie View Post
    Good points. Coach G isn't going anywhere so you Seth-haters can stop lobbying for him to be fired and start supporting your BBall program like a good fan would do.
    Criticism and support are not mutually exclusive.

And I haven't seen many "lobbying for him to be fired"....it's more "he better up his game a bit or the heat on the seat needs to go up"

Quote Originally Posted by YBYSAIAHokie View Post
    That's just the point: Those lobbyists ARE supporting the program. If people feel that the program would be better off under someone else's leadership, then lobbying against Seth IS supporting the program!

Deal with it. Those of us that want a new head coach aren't going anywhere unless SG somehow turns this thing around...and I doubt he does.

Exactly. Don't bring any facts into this, eh?

Things do have that "restless natives" feel to it

Some are harshly critical while others are content with the status quo. I am of the "disturbed by recent trends" category. One NCAA appearance in 8 years while having the bubble burst rather capriciously the last 3 years with one of Tech's best teams in recent history is one. Another is cold shooting, missing wide open jumpers. Rebounding, or lack thereof, is another disturbing trend. Most of our games this year we don't have anyone with double-figure boards. It's disturbing to watch the team make 3 or 4 passes, take one shot and have the ball bounce directly to someone to the other team. Either the shot that was taken was ill-advised or the players weren't in the proper position for the type of shot that was taken. Either way, the "scrappiness" that defines a Seth Greenberg coached team just hasn't developed with the group of players that we have right now.

While those points still stick in my throat, I won't throw SG under the bus just yet. Mainly because of his track record of being able to elicit that kind of play from his teams. However, I've pretty much resigned this year's post-season chances, NIT included, into the pipe dream file. Starting 0-3, two of those to weaker teams in the league, just isn't part of the tournament resume polishing that Tech needed to take the next step. I do hope that the players make the most of this time together and learn just what it takes to win at this level.

Very fair assessment and comments. Syracuse is being touted as Boeheim's best team EVER. We have issues - play close but can't close the deal. Don't play smart - even at Sr level. Chemistry is still being defined - doesn't help that PG (and we only have one?) is injured.
    "That's some catch, that Catch 22!" - Capt. Yossarian