Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910
    Quote Originally Posted by bsalta View Post
    That's not exactly how the internet works...a non-paying visitor is not necessarily a non-revenue generating visitor. If the site is correctly monetized, there are many ways to generate a positive ROI from someone that never takes out their credit card. It can be anything from banner advertising, site sponsorships (normally calculated on a CPM basis, cost per thousand), email campaigns, selling of personal information collected during registration, etc.
    Absolutely. All of the visitors on the free board generate good advertising revenue for us, in various ways. That helps keep the cost of a subscription down, or at least, it has in the past.

My personal information is being sold?
    Where in the world is PhotoHokieNC?

No, but we can sell it if you want us to.

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Water View Post
    Just let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Water View Post
    LOL, no it is not. Your personal info is safe. bsalta is just throwing out examples of how non-paying visitors can lead to $$ for a website operation. He was not citing what TSL does specifically.

TSL serves ads that generate money for the site based on page views & click-thrus, as well as by selling forum sponsorships - like how the Lounge is sponsored by Apex.

Note that I am just speculating myself.... I'm sure Will or Chris could give you more accurate answer if you e-mail them.

I don't think it would fetch you much, sir. Maybe 15 years ago, but I'm not the man I once was.
    Where in the world is PhotoHokieNC?

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimore Hokie View Post
    People who use this board don't count as customers. Now, the pay boards are a different matter. But people who use this board without also subscribing to the pay boards are LEECHES. They increase Will's cost without providing any benefits.

The only way to answer your question is to determine if Will ends up with less paying customers after the upgrade. I also think Will should add some sort of time limit to the free boards in general - if you've been using them for a year without ante-ing up for the pay boards, your password expires and that's that.
    The way boards work is through advertising support - as a user of the free board I am subjected to the advertising that sponsors place on the site. My understanding is that Will gets additional revenues for each click on an advertiser's link. Therefore we are all customers even though this is a free board.

Quote Originally Posted by VT73 View Post
    Take a good product that people like and change it "for the better" and suddenly the customers go away. Netflix redux.
    "I wish I could quit you."

Quote Originally Posted by WestyHokie View Post
    "I wish I could quit you."
    You already could have

Good to know