Not the most exciting game - but it was Championship Level Football

Seriously. Crushing defense, efficient offense, and no self destruction. Note - not necessarily balanced offense just for the sake of having the same number of run and pass plays, but 'Bama was able to move the ball against one helluva good defense.

The spread offense might make for excitement and entertainment, but 'Bama showed us all what makes Championships.

Totally agree. Too many people are spoiled by the video game style of football being played anymore, caused by spread offenses. I love watching great defenses play. I love it when you see a team whip another team so bad that you literally see the will to play leave the other team. Alabama completely whipped LSU so thoroughly last night that by the 4th quarter you saw LSU had pretty much given up.

Got to give it to the LSU defense though. They hung in for 3 1/2 quarters. Especially after their QB looked like he had given up by the second quarter. He wanted no part of the Alabama defense. You could see it on his option runs.

Prior to the game, I longed for Okie St - LSU. Now, I'd kinda like to see Okie St - Bama.

Bama was very impressive. Their defense was HUGE and FAST.

It just made me think how ugly it'd be if our offense played against that defense.

Nothing wrong with spread offenses...Texas' spread beat USC's pro-style...

Florida won 2 titles with a spread. What the game really showed was more of what we already know.

Defense wins championships.

Florida had the D to go with their O too.

Those big wins they had in their MNC games were fueled not just by their O lighting it up, but also because the D beat the crap out of their opponents O's.

Texas was able to make a play at the end of a close game to win, after USC had some kind of bad coaching I believe (don't remember what though exactly), and the Texas D made a key stop. Neither Texas or USC that year would have been able to crack 'Bama's D from this year though. And neither had the D that 'Bama or LSU had this year either. I don't know that we'll see D's like either 'Bama or LSU again for a while.

All my opinion of course, though.

That was classic "defense wins championships."

I know Maze got hurt, but would you trade LT, DC & JB for anyone on either team?

Define "crack". Bama certainly cracked LSU's D, as did WVU. LSU had a pedestrian offense this year fueled by off the chart talent. You certainly can't compare LSU's O to those of Vince Young and Matt Leinert/Reggie Bush. They would have certainly put up respectable yards and points.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieinATL07 View Post
    Seriously. Crushing defense, efficient offense, and no self destruction. Note - not necessarily balanced offense just for the sake of having the same number of run and pass plays, but 'Bama was able to move the ball against one helluva good defense.

The spread offense might make for excitement and entertainment, but 'Bama showed us all what makes Championships.
    Offensive efficiency is the most important part. It doesn't matter what type of offense you run, it matters if you run it well or not.

Tech's problem on offense is the complete lack of offensive identity which results in a lack of efficiency. We really have the players for the Oregon type offense, but are determined to be a Wisconsin Type offense. As a result, we do neither well...