Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

When will the next domino fall?

I see the Big East expanding to become the "All America & then some" conference, the SEC going to 14 with the addition of aTm & Mizzou, the ACC going to 14 with Pitt & exCUSE, and the Big-1X signing up with the PAC-12 to do a football challenge.

What's next? Will ND make a decision, or did the football challenge give ND everything it needed to postpone a move indefinitely?

The next domino falls when Notre Dame gives up independence or, more likely, the Big XII becomes the hunters or the hunted.

The Pac 12/Big Ten affiliation is going to put more pressure on Notre Dame. Notre Dame needs quality opponents for the meat of its schedule and has relied on Michigan State, Purdue, Michigan, Stanford, USC and Northwestern for a chunk of that. I think some of those schools are going to think twice about having an 8 or 9-game conference schedule, a game against a competitive Pac 12 (or in the case of USC and Stanford, Big Ten) opponent as a non-conference game, and then a Notre Dame game on top. ND-USC isn't going to go away, most likely, but I don't think any of the rest are sure things. Even Michigan State, which has a long-standing rivalry with Notre Dame, has to think twice.

The next domino drops no later than when the Big XII's television rights come up for renegotiation, which will occur in five or six years. The Big XII might pick up Louisville and one other program (Cincinnati? BYU? Air Force?) sooner, but that will not lead to major reshuffling. I think the Big XII may try to make a move when its rights are about to be renegotiated to pick up a disenchanted Pac 12 or SEC member, though I would not be optimistic that the Big XII would succeed.

I don't see ND doing anything proactively. I think the next shoe will be Oklahoma leaving (and further destabilizing) the B12. I don't know if they will go to B10, SEC, or P12, but they will create a tidal wave when they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailgate Guru View Post
    The Pac 12/Big Ten affiliation is going to put more pressure on Notre Dame. Notre Dame needs quality opponents for the meat of its schedule and has relied on Michigan State, Purdue, Michigan, Stanford, USC and Northwestern for a chunk of that. I think some of those schools are going to think twice about having an 8 or 9-game conference schedule, a game against a competitive Pac 12 (or in the case of USC and Stanford, Big Ten) opponent as a non-conference game, and then a Notre Dame game on top. ND-USC isn't going to go away, most likely, but I don't think any of the rest are sure things. Even Michigan State, which has a long-standing rivalry with Notre Dame, has to think twice.
    When the new scheduling deal between the BIGTEN and PAC-12 was announced, the BIGTEN also said they were staying with an 8 game conference schedule, instead of upping it to 9, specifically so Michigan State and Michigan could more easily maintain their regular series with Notre Dame. PAC-12 also announced that ND's games with their teams wouldn't be impacted either.

BCS bowls drop BE autobid with ACC being slid from Orange to Sugar for about 4-5 years (filler if attendance don't pick up)

Oh My God. The BE could become the the new AAFC...All American Football Conference; they just have to add the Chicago Rockets and LA Dons, maybe the Brooklyn/NY Yankees. This will totally work.

IMO:
    The dust needs to settle. Wait until the new conference additions begin play and the 14-team conferences have a season under their belt.

The Big12 is still in trouble as long as the remaining teams are subservient to UTex.

The Pac12 - B1g alliance will put pressure on other BCS conferences to try to set up a similar scenario with another major conference. I fear it's going to be ACC/BEast and SEC/Big12, CUSA/MAC/Sunbelt, WAC/MWest

Look for the term BCS conference to go away. The BCS will redesign the Bowl selection process and all but eliminate the Automatic Bid based on conference affiliation. I'm guessing any team from any conference that wins it's conference title and is ranked in the top 10 will go to a BCS bowl. This may require adding the Cotton to the BCS. Any team that wins it's conference but is ranked lower than say 15th or 16th may or may not get a BCS invite. That targets the Big East and ACC the most.

BCS title game teams will be announced after the bowl games are concluded. #1 team plays #4 team and #2 plays #3. Winners meet a 7 to 10 days later.

The "BCS," whomever that is, talks a big game about doing away with automatic bids, but the Rose Bowl is NOT under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES going to change the fact that, in years in which neither team is playing in the BCS title game, the Big Ten and Pac-X champions will be playing in the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. In that sense, all this talk about doing away with automatic bids is bologna.

Furthermore, I doubt the Sugar Bowl will miss an opportunity to grab up the SEC champion whenever they are available.

When they talk about "doing away with automatic bids," all that means is that in years like this one, where the Big East and ACC Champs were both ranked below #14, the bowls will feel perfectly free to invite Arkansas as a third SEC team or Boise State, if they think Boise will put butts in the seats.
    *.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*. *.*.*.*.*.*

I just wish we would STOP with the zone blocking read option crap and line up in the I, put a hat on a hat and run the tailback behind the fullback through a designated gosh-danged hole. There is NO REASON why this program shouldn't be able to find 5 fat guys who can move some people out of the way and clear a lane for a back to get through!

You are/may be right about the Rose not giving up the PAC12/B1G match up which is why I think the BCS goes the route of dropping the BCS ranking requirement low enough to virtually assure that both both conference champs would be ranked high enough to qualify. Frankly I am not sure even the Rose wants a matchup that does not involve top 20 teams. What I am saying is that NO team that both wins its conference AND is ranked in the top 10 can be left out of the BCS. That includes WAC,MWest, CUSA, MAC, and Sunbelt. I do see scenarios, where very low ranked ACC or Big East champs may not go to a BCS game. For example, say Clemson and VT end up 7-5 and both make it to the ACC title game because of their record within the ACC. I can see were the BCS would take away the auto bid if the ACC winner ended up ranked low enough in the BCS standings.

i don't think 'AQ' and 'tie-in' are the same thing...Rose will still have B1G vs Pac12, Big12 will still have Fiesta (or Cotton), SEC will still have Sugar, and (hopefully), ACC will still have Orange. when they say they will eliminate AQ, i think they mean no one without a contractual tie-in to a specific bowl will automatically qualify (ie BigEast champ, BCS top 4 non-conf champ, non-AQ conf champ in the top 12/16, Notre Dame, etc). i'm pretty sure all they are syaing is that all non-contracually tied up spots will truly be filled by at-larges of each bowl's own choosing with no set guidelines.