Defeated Maryland today 24-12.

Only lost a total of 4 matches.

Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by VTChip View Post
    Flattened UNC Friday night 29-3

Defeated Maryland today 24-12.

Only lost a total of 4 matches.

Life is good!
    What is the team's chances of finishing in the Top 5 for the upcoming NCAA tournament?

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    What is the team's chances of finishing in the Top 5 for the upcoming NCAA tournament?
    Pretty close to zero.

We've got a solid lineup, but don't have any projected all-Americans with Carter done for the year. With tournament scoring, a team with one champion and nobody else beats a team with a bunch of qualifiers that don't finish near the top. For example, Intermat (intermatwrestle.com) has a team ranking that uses projected tournament scoring based on individual rankings. We are ranked #40!

On the other hand, the Maryland team we beat soundly in duals is ranked #15. They have three projected all-Americans (at 184, 197, and 285). Two of them squeaked by our top-20 guys, and the third was beaten soundly by unranked Chris Penny.

I expect we'll do better than #40 in the tournament, but last year's team was a much better tournament team and didn't sniff the top 5.

Quote Originally Posted by nvpbrown View Post
    Pretty close to zero.

We've got a solid lineup, but don't have any projected all-Americans with Carter done for the year. With tournament scoring, a team with one champion and nobody else beats a team with a bunch of qualifiers that don't finish near the top. For example, Intermat (intermatwrestle.com) has a team ranking that uses projected tournament scoring based on individual rankings. We are ranked #40!

On the other hand, the Maryland team we beat soundly in duals is ranked #15. They have three projected all-Americans (at 184, 197, and 285). Two of them squeaked by our top-20 guys, and the third was beaten soundly by unranked Chris Penny.

I expect we'll do better than #40 in the tournament, but last year's team was a much better tournament team and didn't sniff the top 5.
    Didn't last year's team finish close to the Top 10? I thought the team was returning a good percentage that could make a deeper run in this year's tournament.

Didn't last year's team finish close to the Top 10? I thought the team was returning a good percentage that could make a deeper run in this year's tournament.
    Last year's team finished 10th, I think.

As NVP pointed out, with Carter out, we don't have anyone that is expected to finish high, and that hurts you in the tournament, but that's why you wrestle the matches, right?

Quote Originally Posted by VTChip View Post
    Last year's team finished 10th, I think.

As NVP pointed out, with Carter out, we don't have anyone that is expected to finish high, and that hurts you in the tournament, but that's why you wrestle the matches, right?
    Right. Does VT have any that could finish in the Top 5 in their weight class? If VT ends up with a large percentage finishing in the Top 5, then I think that could negate not ending up with a wrestler in the finals. Also, it should allow VT to finish in the Top 10 and maybe sniff the Top 5.

We finished *in* the top 10 last year at #10.

But we graduated two of our four all-Americans (Garnett and Yates) and are redshirting a third (Brascetta). We did get a sure-fire all-American back from redshirt (Carter), but he's lost for the year. Our one remaining A-A, Zach Neibert, has been up and down this year; hopefully he can make some noise in the NCAAs like last year. I don't think people were expecting us to match last year's results, even before Carter went down.

Last year's team scored 43.5 points in the tournament, and #5 was Cornell at 65, and #1, 2, and 3 were all over 100. It's a pretty big leap from where we were last year to the top of the mountain, but it's possible if we manage to bring in and develop good talent.

We've got two top 100 guys coming in next year:

http://www.hokiesports.com/wrestling...131121aaa.html

Here's a link to recruiting for the 2013 class that featured 5 top 100 guys: Dance (125 starter) at #6, Norstrem (133 - redshirting) at #16, Epperly (174 - redshirting) at #29, Gustafson (133 starter) at #86, and Haught (197 - redshirting) at #93.

http://d1collegewrestling.net/Top200_2013.html

You can't always tell for sure how guys will pan out, but we've got plenty of young talent.