Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: VT at ND

Quote Originally Posted by VTChip View Post
    Well, we didn't play well (as usual) but maybe Raines found the key to the doghouse.
    We'll have to see who plays and who sits vs. Wake.

Amazing we're down 6 with about 30 seconds to go, and the only person who takes a 3 the rest of the way was a desperation heave by Barksdale.
    Meanwhile, smith and Eddie watched from the bench.
    Am I the only one who thinks when you are down 6 with less than 30 seconds, you need to take a 3? You'd have to make two 3s, regardless, if they missed both all their free throws. Considering a couple weeks ago we were the best 3pt shooting team in the country, you'd think we'd try to rely on that strength, even if Eddie is in a slump. Isn't the whole reason Johnston on the team to shoot a few 3s? Wood hasn't been terrible. I just don't know how you keep Eddie and Smith on the bench the final couple mintutes, while down 10.

Quote Originally Posted by vatechcowpatty View Post
    Amazing we're down 6 with about 30 seconds to go, and the only person who takes a 3 the rest of the way was a desperation heave by Barksdale.
    Meanwhile, smith and Eddie watched from the bench.
    Am I the only one who thinks when you are down 6 with less than 30 seconds, you need to take a 3? You'd have to make two 3s, regardless, if they missed both all their free throws. Considering a couple weeks ago we were the best 3pt shooting team in the country, you'd think we'd try to rely on that strength, even if Eddie is in a slump. Isn't the whole reason Johnston on the team to shoot a few 3s? Wood hasn't been terrible. I just don't know how you keep Eddie and Smith on the bench the final couple mintutes, while down 10.
    Maybe Coach Johnson didn't want to rub the lose in so he told the team to milk as much time off the clock.

21st in d-1 3pt% 30th in rebounds also in top 30 in blocks. We do some things well just not consistent defending three, avoiding turnovers, shooting FTs.

Quote Originally Posted by vtox1 View Post
    21st in d-1 3pt% 30th in rebounds also in top 30 in blocks. We do some things well just not consistent defending three, avoiding turnovers, shooting FTs.
    Is the problem with the defense due to running mostly man-to-man instead of playing a zone defense? I would think a 3-2 zone would allow the defense to still be aggressive without getting out of position (i.e. PF or C caught around the top of the key).