Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Wishing Rev Zeke would weigh in on HS recruit Caleb Tanner

Does the Rev still visit this forum and post his insights? Haven't seen him in a while.
    I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the screaming passengers in his car.

Yep..latest update...37 pts in 2nd loss...team is 9-2, Tanner avg 31 in 2 losses, 44 ppg in 9 wins. On pace to pass Odell Hodge, Rowsey, Stacy Ervin on Vhsl all time scoring list
    Would like to hear Zeke's take...maybe Hargrave to get bigger & step up in competition
    Last edited by hokiepro; Tue Jan 14 2014 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hokiepro View Post
    Yep..latest update...37 pts in 2nd loss...team is 9-2, Tanner avg 31 in 2 losses, 44 ppg in 9 wins. On pace to pass Odell Hodge, Rowsey, Stacy Ervin on Vhsl all time scoring list
    Would like to hear Zeke's take...maybe Hargrave to get bigger & step up in competition
    Yeah, I'm surprised Tanner isn't even listed in the Top 20 Va HS recruits:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/virginiaprep...ings/rank-2903
    I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the screaming passengers in his car.

Evan Gordon and Yogi Ferrell are 6'0" guards for Indiana who play up tempo and are short. Tanner's a better shooter than both of them, and he's 6'1-6'2" and has crept up closer to 175-180 lbs. I wish if we had a spot, we'd take a chance on him... If he doesn't work out, he could always transfer to Radford or Liberty. I think JMU is ready to offer as are other CAA schools like W&M.
    We passed on offering Rowsey...he's 5'11" and avg 16.3 ppg for UNC-A as a freshman. Tanner could definitely provide a zone busting presence at he very least. He's the type of player who would be around 4 yrs and after a yr or two, would figure out speed of the game, with his work ethic he would likely develop skills for knowing how to get his shot off and he obviously has a feel for scoring already. I don't care who you're playing against if you average 44 ppg in 32 min games, you can fill it up
    Last edited by hokiepro; Tue Jan 14 2014 at 08:44 PM.

Yeah but do we need another Adam Smith type?
    Evan Gordon and Yogi Ferrell are 6'0" guards for Indiana who play up tempo and are short. Tanner's a better shooter than both of them, and he's 6'1-6'2" and has crept up closer to 175-180 lbs. I wish if we had a spot, we'd take a chance on him... If he doesn't work out, he could always transfer to Radford or Liberty. I think JMU is ready to offer as are other CAA schools like W&M.
    We passed on offering Rowsey...he's 5'11" and avg 16.3 ppg for UNC-A as a freshman. Tanner could definitely provide a zone busting presence at he very least. He's the type of player who would be around 4 yrs and after a yr or two, would figure out speed of the game, with his work ethic he would likely develop skills for knowing how to get his shot off and he obviously has a feel for scoring already. I don't care who you're playing against if you average 44 ppg in 32 min games, you can fill it up

Quote Originally Posted by 949hokie View Post
    Yeah but do we need another Adam Smith type?
    When a team currently relies upon streaky players for points and does not have enough consistant scorer, then at some point the team needs to find those 1-3 players that can handle that role. Plus, VT is lacking depth at PG and Caleb could fill that slot given that he is slightly undersized to be a SG in the ACC. Even though I would prefer to see a PG with a high assist average, there are plenty of examples of a PG averaging 10pts or more in college. Heck John Stockton averaged 20.9 points per game when he as at Gonzaga and most would consider him to be one of the best PGs of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    When a team currently relies upon streaky players for points and does not have enough consistant scorer, then at some point the team needs to find those 1-3 players that can handle that role. Plus, VT is lacking depth at PG and Caleb could fill that slot given that he is slightly undersized to be a SG in the ACC. Even though I would prefer to see a PG with a high assist average, there are plenty of examples of a PG averaging 10pts or more in college. Heck John Stockton averaged 20.9 points per game when he as at Gonzaga and most would consider him to be one of the best PGs of all time.
    He's a good passer..he just rarely has to

He's a good passer..he just rarely has to
    I will admit that I have not seen him play, so I was basing my commits off his stats. Also, I used Adam Smith's stats (given the comparison between the players) as a crude gadge to see what the team could look like if both played PG. I am assuming that the depth chart for SG will include Malik, Devin, Ben, and Will. I know Devin can play PG, which is why I would pencil him in at 3rd in the depth chart, but given his frame I would not be shocked to see him at 10lbs during the offseason. Also, I could see Ben being used as SF from time to time in order to get a combination of Malik/Devin and Ben on the court at the same time. I am not sure you will see all 3 on the court at the same time (unless Devin slides over to PG).

Floyd is a fundamentally sound team...maybe their coach can come with him...they're better fundamentally than this VT team

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    I will admit that I have not seen him play, so I was basing my commits off his stats. Also, I used Adam Smith's stats (given the comparison between the players) as a crude gadge to see what the team could look like if both played PG. I am assuming that the depth chart for SG will include Malik, Devin, Ben, and Will. I know Devin can play PG, which is why I would pencil him in at 3rd in the depth chart, but given his frame I would not be shocked to see him at 10lbs during the offseason. Also, I could see Ben being used as SF from time to time in order to get a combination of Malik/Devin and Ben on the court at the same time. I am not sure you will see all 3 on the court at the same time (unless Devin slides over to PG).
    Malik and Devin are both PGs, Tanner could play SG with them