Interesting info regarding p5 increased autonomy from today's meeting

Tweet from Stewart mandel

@slmandel: Correction: 58 percent of the room voted they "strongly support" or "support" autonomy for the Big 5. #NCAAConv

And this tweet.

@slmandel: NCAA Board of Directors chair Nathan Hatch ends the meeting by saying they hope to have new governance model in place by this summer.

So it looks like there is support for the bcs conferences under some new governance structure.

I assume this means no breakaway but at the very least more control of how they run the bcs athletics. Does this mean a new division inside the NCAA?

Quote Originally Posted by ahokie4u View Post

@slmandel: Correction: 58 percent of the room voted they "strongly support" or "support" autonomy for the Big 5. #NCAAConv

And this tweet.

@slmandel: NCAA Board of Directors chair Nathan Hatch ends the meeting by saying they hope to have new governance model in place by this summer.

So it looks like there is support for the bcs conferences under some new governance structure.

I assume this means no breakaway but at the very least more control of how they run the bcs athletics. Does this mean a new division inside the NCAA?
    Complete breakaway won't happen(IMO). They will give more autonomy to the Power 65..

Quote Originally Posted by goldendomer View Post
    Complete breakaway won't happen(IMO). They will give more autonomy to the Power 65..
    Yep. No need to breakaway when the NCAA is giving them what they want.
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

And this tweet.

i predict bball will still be 3 divisions, they won't want to cut anyone out of the MBB tourney. i think football will be where the shakeup happens. Maybe they go to 5 divisions:

Power 5 (4 team playoff + bowls)
    Other 4 current FBS conferences + top 2 or 3 FCS conferences (bowls + playoff?)
    Rest of current FCS
    Current DII
    Current DIII

i would envision only allowing schools to schedule one division up or down as well.

i guess we'll see...
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Things are heating up.

And this tweet.

Let's say that it is just more autonomy. I assume that means they agree to the autonomy for power 65. I assume this means full cost scholarships. I believe title 9 requires equal treatment for athletes. I assume this full cost scholarship will not be for just football.

Even if they intend for a football only solution. It sure does create a potential impact on all in bcs and fcs if there is not a separate division. In any case this will create a separation for all sports from non bcs schools.

I don't agree necessarily but I am being fair and balanced.

"Could this division one split be the final hurdle standing in the way of Notre Dame and full-conference membership? It is far too early to tell, but that could become a realistic possibility depending on how the new structure is set up moving forward. This is all hypothetical at this point, of course, but if the power conferences split and formed their own division, it may be realistic to expect they work out a way to form their own postseason and split potential revenue between the conferences. Would they want to be splitting a share with Notre Dame, or would the ACC want to be sharing their share with the Irish? Put yourself in the shoes of the conferences. Would you want to do it?"

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...s-in/#comments

The other interesting thing is even if more autonomy for power65. There will be a playoff that comes from it. If those 65 are calling the shots for the playoff. There will have to be either a distinguishing factor ie conference championship or separate access to playoff for just those in the conferences.

I think this also has to have an impact on notre dame. If the power 65 are making the decisions about football and the new playoff. I think that they will make it harder for independents to make it to championship game.

This may be wishful thinking on my part.

I really could see acc making another pitch to nd and Texas to go to 20.

If they do change the rules to where you have flexibility in how your conference champion is crowned. . Now you have to have equal divisions of 2 if memory serves. I wonder if expansion to 16 with nd rotating pod member would be an option. Ie 4x4x4x5. This would mean 4 pod games and 1 other. No additional games for nd. Uconn could help with future acc network in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    i predict bball will still be 3 divisions, they won't want to cut anyone out of the MBB tourney. i think football will be where the shakeup happens. Maybe they go to 5 divisions:

Power 5 (4 team playoff + bowls)
    Other 4 current FBS conferences + top 2 or 3 FCS conferences (bowls + playoff?)
    Rest of current FCS
    Current DII
    Current DIII

i would envision only allowing schools to schedule one division up or down as well.

i guess we'll see...
    Probably correct initially but I forsee a BB breakaway down the road. Too much money going to 2nd tier schools to suit the Big 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Femoyer Hokie View Post
    Probably correct initially but I forsee a BB breakaway down the road. Too much money going to 2nd tier schools to suit the Big 5.
    I agree which is why I wouldn't not be shocked if the do the break now instead of down the road. The Power 5 has leverage right now that if the NCAA doesn't give into their demainds for basketball and football, then they can just walk away to form their own association. The interesting thing will be if the Power 5 decide to any power basketball conferences (i.e. Big East) to join the group or not.