Interesting modernization of Arizona state stadium

Oh the perks of playing in a planned stadium instead of that was planned like a patchwork quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    Oh the perks of playing in a planned stadium instead of that was planned like a patchwork quilt.
    Patchwork quilt has it's advantages. Bigger picture - Maybe our fundraising organization should go to 'Zona to learn how it's done?

Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    Patchwork quilt has it's advantages. Bigger picture - Maybe our fundraising organization should go to 'Zona to learn how it's done?
    Patchwork does have its advantages at times. However, if a program wants a stadium that has potential unlimited expansion opportunities, then patchwork isn't the best method. I am sure the Hokie Club could learn a lot from Arizona State. If I had a say, then I would probably prefer seeing the Hokie Club enroll in a class taught either by Warren Buffett or the Longhorn booster club.

Patchwork does have its advantages at times. However, if a program wants a stadium that has potential unlimited expansion opportunities, then patchwork isn't the best method. I am sure the Hokie Club could learn a lot from Arizona State. If I had a say, then I would probably prefer seeing the Hokie Club enroll in a class taught either by Warren Buffett or the Longhorn booster club.
    Even better.

You think the Arizona State AD is coming to VT ?? ... Bring It On

They just hired new AD deputy commisioner of the NFL

THey get what the game is in coilege sports, by hiring an NFL business person, FYI the ex-AD ist he AD at Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by JRHokie View Post

Quote Originally Posted by JRHokie View Post
    I don't think VT should pursue Arizona State's AD because he was just recently hired. However, I do think the next AD should have experience working with a professional organization (preferably NFL). College athletics is will start to have more professional feel (when it comes to the business model). Given that VT has limited resources and a smaller alumni/fan base, the AD may have to be great at maximizing those resources. I have a feeling that in order for VT to remain competitive in the Power 5, then it may have to step up its game in terms of revenue.

I am a member of the Sun Devil Club and will be involved in fundraising for the stadium reconstruction. The Sun Devil Club holds great promise, but has been is wracked by constant turnover, lack of followup as a result of this turnover and historically membership that is remarkably low (especially for a school with 70,000 students). I could go on and on. The Hokie Club is a model for the Sun Devil Club to follow. Sun Devil Stadium, once an amazing place and still very impressive at first glance, has been ignored for a quarter-century and literally is falling down. This should be a good stadium project with an impressive result but it actually will reduce the capacity from almost 75,000 to about 60,000. I love ASU. The games are great fun to attend, my youngest son played baseball at ASU and the experience was unmatched and now he plays in the Dodgers organization as a direct result, but I can assure you that the Athletics Department at ASU looks at Virginia Tech as an example to follow in many, many ways. Hell, ASU is on its sixth or seventh athletic director since I moved here in 1994. Despite great success in lots of sports (not football or basketball), ASU is striving to achieve the stability and financial strength of VT athletics. (I will add that Steve Patterson, now at Texas, was visionary under the direction of an even more visionary university president, Michael Crow, and the new AD exhibits great promise, but ASU needs leadership for the long-term -- not in stints of five years or less. It is a destination job in so many ways, yet has failed to achieve that status.
    Last edited by ScottsdaleHokie; Sat Jan 18 2014 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottsdaleHokie View Post
    I am a member of the Sun Devil Club and will be involved in fundraising for the stadium reconstruction. The Sun Devil Club holds great promise, but has been is wracked by constant turnover, lack of followup as a result of this turnover and historically membership that is remarkably low (especially for a school with 70,000 students). I could go on and on. The Hokie Club is a model for the Sun Devil Club to follow. Sun Devil Stadium, once an amazing place and still very impressive at first glance, has been ignored for a quarter-century and literally is falling down. This should be a good stadium project with an impressive result but it actually will reduce the capacity from almost 75,000 to about 60,000. I love ASU. The games are great fun to attend, my youngest son played baseball at ASU and the experience was unmatched and now he plays in the Dodgers organization as a direct result, but I can assure you that the Athletics Department at ASU looks at Virginia Tech as an example to follow in many, many ways. Hell, ASU is on its sixth or seventh athletic director since I moved here in 1994. Despite great success in lots of sports (not football or basketball), ASU is striving to achieve the stability and financial strength of VT athletics. (I will add that Steve Patterson, now at Texas, was visionary under the direction of an even more visionary university president, Michael Crow, and the new AD exhibits great promise, but ASU needs leadership for the long-term -- not in stints of five years or less. It is a destination job in so many ways, yet has failed to achieve that status.
    In this particular case, I was referring to stadium expansion and increasing revenue through the booster club. Sun Devil Stadium (even if old), is a bowl shaped stadium. Meaning that if ASU ever wanted to expand it, then it would have an easier time (under VA law). Lane Stadium currently has 3 independent structures (East Stands, West Stands, and South End Zone). Each structure was built at a different time and subject to building codes because it is based on when the structures were built. I believe with rennovations, only the part that is rennovated is subject to meeting current codes; not the entire structure. So, if VT ever decided to connect the East and/or West Stands to the South End Zone, then it would have to bring both sections up to whatever code exist at the time of the construction project. Depending on the age of the structure at the time, it could cost the school millions of additional cost which could be a huge factor given that VA taxpayer dollars are not allowed to be used for collegiate athletic capital projects. Also, by Sun Devil Stadium having a bowl shape, an entire section/row around the stadium can be dedicated to luxury boxes/suites. Whereas, Lane Stadium only has the luxury boxes/suits on the West Stands. So if VT ever wanted to have a row of luxury boxes around the stadium, then it would be forced to reconfigure the South End Zone and East Stands which will cost a lot of money.