Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubman View Post
    When was the last time NCSU won anything significant in a major sport?

It's been a tough haul for them. Yes, NCAA Tourney appearances and a CWS appearance, but, losses soon followed. They are the forgotten college in North Carolina, even though they reside in the capital.

The biggest mistake that fanbase made was running Herb Sendek out of town. Yes, it sort of had to be done because Herb had lost the support of the fanbase; however, the team was in the NCAA Tourney every year. So why run him out? He wasn't beating Duke as UNC......not a good measure of success (for anyone)...,,.

They replaced Sendek with Lowe and, well, you know the rest......JJ reminds me a little of Lowe, if you know what I mean.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

God knows VT would've killed to have Herb Sendek's success at making the NCAAs. It's such a terrible feeling when everybody talks about how great March Madness is yet we never get to even participate, even when we're good. It's crueler than missing a bowl because EVERYONE talks about the NCAA tournament, not to mention unlike a bowl you can have a good year in hoops and still get left out. Any football team who can't hit .500 you're sick of by the end of the season anyways.

Meanwhile, every other single school around us goes. I mean for God's sake JMU made the NCAA tourney last year. I would've bet money that VT would have returned to the NCAAs before them. Norfolk State. Hampton. Motherf'ing Radford has been to the NCAAs more recently than us. I think the only schools who haven't been more recently in this state are like VMI, W&M, and Longwood. That's a sick, sick joke.

I know life hasn't been great for NC State fans. It's gotta be hard to see your rivals shoot into the stratosphere while you're left behind. I can't blame them for wanting to compete with UNC and Duke.

But they should've had something lined up before they showed Sendek the door. I'm sure there are certain NCAA rules regarding contact/hiring coaches, but if you're going to make that kind of power play you need to do everything possible to make it happen. Open up the checkbook and make it impossible to turn down. When the A-list fails, get the top mid-major coach in hoops. Don't risk your program on a guy who's never coached at the college level (and failed at the NBA level), never graduated college, etc. I know I'm not telling you anything you haven't already agonized over though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubman View Post
    When was the last time NCSU won anything significant in a major sport?

It's been a tough haul for them. Yes, NCAA Tourney appearances and a CWS appearance, but, losses soon followed. They are the forgotten college in North Carolina, even though they reside in the capital.

The biggest mistake that fanbase made was running Herb Sendek out of town. Yes, it sort of had to be done because Herb had lost the support of the fanbase; however, the team was in the NCAA Tourney every year. So why run him out? He wasn't beating Duke as UNC......not a good measure of success (for anyone)...,,.

They replaced Sendek with Lowe and, well, you know the rest......JJ reminds me a little of Lowe, if you know what I mean.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    At least NC State fans can say the program has been to the mountain top and won a national championship. The video of Jimmy V running around the court looking to hug someone is probably one of the most iconic video clip for March Madness.

Quote Originally Posted by RapmasterAC View Post
    At least we would've made the NCAA tourney this decade?
    But you'd have had an 0-8 ACC football record this yr

I thought JJ's quotes were pretty insulting to Raines.

Last time I checked, Raines dropped 17 points on 7-10 shooting in our loss to USC Upstate. One of the very few players who showed up that day.

Last time I checked, Clemson went on an immediate six-point run in the first half when JJ's walk-ons and Trevor Thompson took the floor.
    I agree. It's hard for me to believe Coach Johnson when he says the players ahead of Raines are just playing better. Raines got the most playing time at center last year. I can't believe he couldn't be used even a couple minutes to spell JVZ or whomever. JJ says Raines isn't being punished but it sure seems like it. And Marshall Wood had a couple good games. Don't understand why he's suddenly riding the pine.

With all this being said, I can't help but wonder what the morale of the team is like. Do the kids like playing for Coach Johnson? Is he losing control of the team?
    I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the screaming passengers in his car.

Quote Originally Posted by YBYSAIAHokie View Post
    I agree. It's hard for me to believe Coach Johnson when he says the players ahead of Raines are just playing better. Raines got the most playing time at center last year. I can't believe he couldn't be used even a couple minutes to spell JVZ or whomever. JJ says Raines isn't being punished but it sure seems like it. And Marshall Wood had a couple good games. Don't understand why he's suddenly riding the pine.

With all this being said, I can't help but wonder what the morale of the team is like. Do the kids like playing for Coach Johnson? Is he losing control of the team?
    I'm not trying to take JJ's side, but why lie about it? Could there be some disciplinary issue that he can't discuss? It seems very strange to me. It's not like he's going from starter to backup, he's going from starter to complete non-entity. You figure he would get at least 10 minutes a game if the excuse really was "the other players are better." There certainly seems to be something else going on, but I can't fathom what it is and why JJ won't or can't be honest about it.

Quote Originally Posted by BAMAHOKIE View Post
    Bottom Line for JJ and Men's basketball....Either there are signs of improvement, better recruiting or he is gone. Was optimistic early this year but Raines deal makes no sense. VT needs to learn to close & win close games. Just not seeing coach putting them in shape to do so.
    This is exactly where I find myself.

As VT fans, we go through a wide range of emotions while watching our team..
    At this point, I'm at the catatonic stage, but glad you can still emote.

Quote Originally Posted by YBYSAIAHokie View Post
    I agree. It's hard for me to believe Coach Johnson when he says the players ahead of Raines are just playing better. Raines got the most playing time at center last year. I can't believe he couldn't be used even a couple minutes to spell JVZ or whomever.
    Maybe JJ reached a point after Raines' first bit of attitude (refusing to go into the game) where he decided the development of the younger players was more Important than giving a brat courtesy minutes? I mean if your team sucks you might as well look to develop your future players and hope it pays off next year. . I don't know, just trying to make some sense of it.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

Sometimes it's just best to ignore the dark thoughts, and the voices ...

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    At least NC State fans can say the program has been to the mountain top and won a national championship. The video of Jimmy V running around the court looking to hug someone is probably one of the most iconic video clip for March Madness.
    That's a good point.