Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RapmasterAC View Post
    As VT fans, we go through a wide range of emotions while watching our team. We all want VT to succeed, the coaches to do well, the players to thrive, etc.

But sometimes, it's difficult to deal with reality.

Sometimes, we have dark thoughts.

This is the thread to let it out.
    Bottom Line for JJ and Men's basketball....Either there are signs of improvement, better recruiting or he is gone. Was optimistic early this year but Raines deal makes no sense. VT needs to learn to close & win close games. Just not seeing coach putting them in shape to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by BAMAHOKIE View Post
    Bottom Line for JJ and Men's basketball....Either there are signs of improvement, better recruiting or he is gone. Was optimistic early this year but Raines deal makes no sense. VT needs to learn to close & win close games. Just not seeing coach putting them in shape to do so.
    The problem now is because he has DNP Raines and called him a "4 PPG" option, JJ has stuck his pick in the ground. To play him now would make JJ look foolish. If Raines came in and played well, then he would really look bad.
    Can't wait for the new AD announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    apathy
    n.
    1. Lack of interest or concern, especially regarding matters of general importance or appeal; indifference.

2. Lack of emotion or feeling; impassiveness.

I remember the Collegiate Times running an article on fan apathy during either my junior or senior year at Tech (1985 or 1986). I still remember a few letters to the editor saying "Who cares!" and "If we weren't apathetic, we wouldn't care at all."

It's been tough the past few years but at least we don't have Bill Dooley running both the football program and athletics department. By the way, that arrangement didn't turn out too well in the end.
    Yep, I'm there. It's hard to watch this team and it's hard to root for this coach. I didn't even try to watch last night's game. I knew we would lose and I was pretty sure we were going to lose a close one that we could have won. Why would anyone watch under those conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    my core group of friends, about 10 of us, are all hokies and avid sports fans. we are all emotionally fatigued with VT sports. the reasons for our fatigue are well documented. it's frustrating b/c like you said, we just want the best for our sports programs and university.
    Imagine if you guys were NCSU fans. No really, go ahead and imagine it.......

Feel better?
    "Don't give up......Don't ever give up." -- Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by Hubman View Post

Feel better?
    Much
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

Basketball? What's that? Something from pinterest.com?

http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins...ts&rs=ac&len=7

Quote Originally Posted by Hubman View Post

Feel better?
    At least we would've made the NCAA tourney this decade?

I think I died on March 13, 2011. Everything since then is a dream.
    God...what a sick day that was. I remember watching the Duke semi the day before thinking we were playing with house money. Woke up the next morning pretty sure we were going to the tournament. And then around mid-day I started digging deeper into all the projections and realized what the consensus opinion was really saying: it wasn't that we had a 95% chance of making the tournament; it was that 95% of the people thought we had about a 55% chance of making it. Immediate sinking feeling followed by full on panic. Then VCU's name popped up right off the bat on the selection show and it was just, like, over.

They put a bullet in our program that day.

Official "dark thoughts" thread (reader beware)

At least we would've made the NCAA tourney this decade?
    When was the last time NCSU won anything significant in a major sport?

It's been a tough haul for them. Yes, NCAA Tourney appearances and a CWS appearance, but, losses soon followed. They are the forgotten college in North Carolina, even though they reside in the capital.

The biggest mistake that fanbase made was running Herb Sendek out of town. Yes, it sort of had to be done because Herb had lost the support of the fanbase; however, the team was in the NCAA Tourney every year. So why run him out? He wasn't beating Duke as UNC......not a good measure of success (for anyone)...,,.

They replaced Sendek with Lowe and, well, you know the rest......JJ reminds me a little of Lowe, if you know what I mean.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Don't give up......Don't ever give up." -- Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by Gobbler-100 View Post
    God...what a sick day that was. I remember watching the Duke semi the day before thinking we were playing with house money. Woke up the next morning pretty sure we were going to the tournament. And then around mid-day I started digging deeper into all the projections and realized what the consensus opinion was really saying: it wasn't that we had a 95% chance of making the tournament; it was that 95% of the people thought we had about a 55% chance of making it. Immediate sinking feeling followed by full on panic. Then VCU's name popped up right off the bat on the selection show and it was just, like, over.

They put a bullet in our program that day.
    God you're bringing me back to the moment. When they showed the play-in participants it was like the worst punch to the gut. The combination of teams made you realize there was no chance in hell we were getting in.

I was at a dinner with my now-wife, mother-in-law, and a couple of my mother-in-law's friends that I've never seen before and since. They got to witness my full devastation in real-time as my friend texted me the bracket. That was probably the worst I've ever felt about sports.