Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    Maybe JJ reached a point after Raines' first bit of attitude (refusing to go into the game) where he decided the development of the younger players was more Important than giving a brat courtesy minutes? I mean if your team sucks you might as well look to develop your future players and hope it pays off next year. . I don't know, just trying to make some sense of it.
    Perhaps, but a true leader needs to step above the trite and be the bigger man.

Maybe JJ reached a point after Raines' first bit of attitude (refusing to go into the game) where he decided the development of the younger players was more Important than giving a brat courtesy minutes? I mean if your team sucks you might as well look to develop your future players and hope it pays off next year. . I don't know, just trying to make some sense of it.
    At this point I am not sure anyone can make sense of it. Whatever happened between them to get the ball rolling was probably trival and could have easily been fixed. However, at some point 1 or both of them decided to just burn the bridge instead. Once that happened they crossed the point of no return. If Raines continues to see no minutes, then March 1 could be a very interesting day. March 1 should be "Senior Day" (assuming VT will still do it for basketball) when all the seniors are honored before the game and should get to start the game. Will Raines be honored before the game or will he be somehow ommitted due to any tension they may be there? If he is honored, then will Coach Johnson start him? If Coach Johnson does allow him to start, then it will be interesting to see how long he plays. Most coaches allow the seniors, even the "scrubs," to remain in the game for a few minutes before subing in the starters. At this point I would not be shocked to see a player get off the bench right as the ball is tossed in the air for the tipoff. I hope that doesn't end up being the case because if it does happen, then I would think that could raise a red flag with the new AD. The coach is supposed to act like a professional (regardless of how the player behaves in the situation) and if he allows a petty beef with a player to cloud his professionalism, then it could mean he is not ready for this job.

Quote Originally Posted by VTChip View Post
    Perhaps, but a true leader needs to step above the trite and be the bigger man.
    I don't disagree. The coach also has to make tough decisions. If the young guys are putting up better effort and are producing, even if slightly less than a willing Raines, their experience gained is a bigger plus to those players and the program moving forward. Tough spot for sure. I don't think either handled it well.

And yea 2000, senior day could be very interesting.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by RapmasterAC View Post
    God you're bringing me back to the moment. When they showed the play-in participants it was like the worst punch to the gut. The combination of teams made you realize there was no chance in hell we were getting in.

I was at a dinner with my now-wife, mother-in-law, and a couple of my mother-in-law's friends that I've never seen before and since. They got to witness my full devastation in real-time as my friend texted me the bracket. That was probably the worst I've ever felt about sports.
    My worst sports moment ever was the day it was announced that we had been left out of Big East basketball expansion. 2nd worse was when they put ND in instead. I don't recall either of those dates and I don't celebrate them.

As for the date I died with the current program it was March 1 2011. It was that day I knew this team wasn't going to the NCAA tournament (again) and wouldn't be going for a very long, long time. By the time March 13th rolled around I had given up all hope and didn't even bother to watch the selection show. When I found out that the in state team we refused to play was going in our place it didn't matter because I was already dead.

While we're at it, my best sports moment of the last several years was the day they announced Weaver was leaving at the end of 2013. I now have hope again, that the future is not as far off as I had originally anticipated (as long as Weaver was threatening to keep hanging around until the end of 2015).
    Last edited by NC Hoke; Sun Jan 19 2014 at 10:42 AM.

I don't disagree. The coach also has to make tough decisions. If the young guys are putting up better effort and are producing, even if slightly less than a willing Raines, their experience gained is a bigger plus to those players and the program moving forward. Tough spot for sure. I don't think either handled it well.

And yea 2000, senior day could be very interesting.
    A coach needs to take leadership, and I haven't seen Johnson do that in the Raines situation. Instead he has placed himself on the same level as the player in some silly public quarrelling. Johnson's only making himself look even more like a coach who has lost his team. To me, Raines should have been suspended for "X" games when he refused to go into a game, that's not acceptable. Such situations require decisive responses from the leader, not gamesmanship. Still, my thoughts were that maybe there was some good underlying reason he was handling the situation the way he was. That was until he came out in the public media with his comments about Raines being a 4 point per game career man. Public humiliation is totally unacceptable by a head coach. If the situation is bad enough to do that he should just dismiss him from the team instead and be done with it. So, any benefit of the doubt I was holding in reserve for Johnson went out the window with that comment. I don't think he's capable of leading our program and really hope we can get the new AD on board in time to replace Johnson before another season is lost. Johnson's in way over his head IMO.