Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Official "dark thoughts" thread (reader beware)

As VT fans, we go through a wide range of emotions while watching our team. We all want VT to succeed, the coaches to do well, the players to thrive, etc.

But sometimes, it's difficult to deal with reality.

Sometimes, we have dark thoughts.

This is the thread to let it out.

Submitting for your approval today:
    http://www.roanoke.com/sports/aaron_...a4bcf6878.html

Personally I would have titled the column "Where the $%^& is Raines" but I don't have editorial control at the Roanoke Times.

Yeah, we're winning like 2 ACC games this year.

Quote Originally Posted by RapmasterAC View Post

Personally I would have titled the column "Where the $%^& is Raines" but I don't have editorial control at the Roanoke Times.

that article just made me angry...VERY angry.

I'm trying to give JJ the benefit of the doubt. i have no idea what's going on in practice, etc, but the objective is to win games. i don't see how CR sitting on the bench is helping with that objective...i'm really lost on what this team is trying to be right now. we look bad in different ways every time we take the floor.

i hope a light switch goes off and proves me wrong, but i'm not very optimistic about our future with JJ at this point.
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

i like the comment at the bottom...wish seth was here because we would still have finny-smith and harrell or whatever his name was.

they were gone no matter what.

i do wonder what is going on with rankin and raines.
    Cast off the shoes and follow the gourd!

As VT fans, we go through a wide range of emotions while watching our team. We all want VT to succeed, the coaches to do well, the players to thrive, etc.

But sometimes, it's difficult to deal with reality.

Sometimes, we have dark thoughts.

This is the thread to let it out.
    my core group of friends, about 10 of us, are all hokies and avid sports fans. we are all emotionally fatigued with VT sports. the reasons for our fatigue are well documented. it's frustrating b/c like you said, we just want the best for our sports programs and university.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post

I'm trying to give JJ the benefit of the doubt. i have no idea what's going on in practice, etc, but the objective is to win games. i don't see how CR sitting on the bench is helping with that objective...i'm really lost on what this team is trying to be right now. we look bad in different ways every time we take the floor.

i hope a light switch goes off and proves me wrong, but i'm not very optimistic about our future with JJ at this point.
    I thought JJ's quotes were pretty insulting to Raines.

Last time I checked, Raines dropped 17 points on 7-10 shooting in our loss to USC Upstate. One of the very few players who showed up that day.

Last time I checked, Clemson went on an immediate six-point run in the first half when JJ's walk-ons and Trevor Thompson took the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    my core group of friends, about 10 of us, are all hokies and avid sports fans. we are all emotionally fatigued with VT sports. the reasons for our fatigue are well documented. it's frustrating b/c like you said, we just want the best for our sports programs and university.
    Then welcome to this thread, friend. This is our safe zone.

BTW I fully expected to post how GMU is a dumpster-fire and still managed to knock off a ranked team, but Paul Hewitt snatched defeat from the jaws of victory last night. HA!

Mason made a mistake the second they hired Hewitt. They were too cute by half in hiring a former Final Four coach and touting this as though he were going to keep things going. Perhaps they didn't pay attention to the last eight seasons of the Hewitt regime at GT. Unlike Atlanta, he can't bring in a few All-Americans and watch them woefully underperform but still have enough talent to eke out an occassional NCAA bid.

Then welcome to this thread, friend. This is our safe zone.

BTW I fully expected to post how GMU is a dumpster-fire and still managed to knock off a ranked team, but Paul Hewitt snatched defeat from the jaws of victory last night. HA!

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post

I am not sure he has "earned" the right to get the benefit of the doubt. A head coach (not even going to restrict it to a good or bad head coach) should have a "plan" from Day 1. Besides wins and loses, it is the head coach's job to convince the players and fans (if necessary) that he can achieve his plan. Basically he has to say the following:

"This is where we are now. This is where we want to be in the future. And this is how we are going to get there. Are you with me?"

If a head coach does that and back it up with actions to show there is an effort to achieve the plan, then the head coach has earned the right to the benefit of doubt; especially when things do not go "according to plan." Right now I am not sure if there is a "plan" anymore. Coach Johnson says he wants to run one thing, but the team plays a completely different game. It makes me wonder if he has made any effort to take a step (even if it is a baby step) closer to achieving this plan. Sometimes I wonder if a Magic 8 ball is calling the shots because at times the team seems to play like a turkey with its head cut off.

Now if there ever comes a time when a head coach has to scrap the original plan and come up with a new one, then that is fine. However, an effort still needs to be made to achieve the goal of this new plan. Not use it to tread water in hopes that you can switch back to the original plan some day. Maybe when my Hokie Club membership comes up for renewal I should send a life preserver instead of a check. Because as each game passes I am beginning to wonder if Coach Johnson is more and more over his head. I am not suggesting that he couldn't be a good head coach some day. I just believe that the situation at VT was so messed up that he walked right into a "no win situation."

---"Holy #%$! Where's the Tylenol?" (Clark W. Griswold reference)

I thought JJ's quotes were pretty insulting to Raines.

Last time I checked, Raines dropped 17 points on 7-10 shooting in our loss to USC Upstate. One of the very few players who showed up that day.

Last time I checked, Clemson went on an immediate six-point run in the first half when JJ's walk-ons and Trevor Thompson took the floor.
    This is what gets me. It'd be one thing if he was sitting Raines to try to develop some young players. But when you're sitting him to get walk-ons more minutes? That's when it becomes detrimental to the team if it goes on too long.