Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    From what I hear, Hoover sucks, & they're depressing to watch [tic/hua]

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    Hoover High School is located in Hoover, AL. Hoover High has built a reputation of being one the best football programs in the nation. Similar to what De La Salle (in CA) has built on the west coast. The program was so well known that in 2005 MTV decided to create a TV show, Two-A-Days, that chronicled the lives of teens, who either played on the team or were associated with the team. So when colleges are looking to recruit the best players from the state, they tend to start with Hoover High first.
    "Be kinder to others than you feel like being & more forgiving than they deserve, because every person you see is fighting their own private secret war" -Some Dude

'07 national champions typed by ben's Avatar
    Hoover High School is located in Hoover, AL. Hoover High has built a reputation of being one the best football programs in the nation. Similar to what De La Salle (in CA) has built on the west coast. The program was so well known that in 2005 MTV decided to create a TV show, Two-A-Days, that chronicled the lives of teens, who either played on the team or were associated with the team. So when colleges are looking to recruit the best players from the state, they tend to start with Hoover High first.
    sentence fragment copy pastas aside- why hoover? loeffler is looking at candidates with NFL experience. lets go that direction, not the other.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    Quote Originally Posted by 133697Hokie View Post
    My father went to VT. My uncle went to VT. My brother-in-law went to VT. I went to VT. My son went to VT. I saw my first VT game in 1962. Can you top that? First time in my life anybody's ever called me a Hoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
    From what I hear, Hoover sucks, & they're depressing to watch [tic/hua]
    Well I wasn't exactly a big fan of the TV show because MTV tried to make it more like its other "reality" TV shows it had going at the time (meaning less about the football and more about teenage drama). I probably wouldn't mind if ESPN had done it because it would have been more about the football and how some high school programs are just as big (if not bigger) than a college program (probably DIII). Hoover (enrollment around 1800) won the 6A Alabama state title again this year for the 10th time (other years were 1977, 1982, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, and 2012). Hoover went 15-0 and outscored their opponents 529-133 (averages 35.3 to 8.9).

Now I realize it is just high school football, but when you defeat the 2nd Place team (Bessemer City) 48-7 then you know you have quite a few talented players on the roster. Not every player ends up at a SEC school because quite a few end up at Conference USA or Sun Belt schools. If VT is in that group of schools that is close to becoming an elite school (like many of us believe), then I would think Scot should be able to convince most recruits to come to VT instead of South Alabama or Southern Miss. It is a good way to establish a pipeline with the school that potentially could lead to signing the more talented players, who end up at SEC schools.

Quote Originally Posted by typed by ben View Post
    sentence fragment copy pastas aside- why hoover? loeffler is looking at candidates with NFL experience. lets go that direction, not the other.
    I believe you missed my point entirely because no where do I talk about hiring a coach from Hoover. What I was suggesting is that he needs to try to find bodies to fill the void left by the de-commits due to Grimes departure. Filling those spots with players, who play other positions, will not help provide depth for the OL next year (unless VT plans to resort back to converting TEs to OL). I figure since Loeffler has connections in AL, then VT might as well use them until he moves onto another program. Based on Andy's article, here is the status of the OL recruits reaction to Grimes departure.

Eric Gallo - has not commented yet on Grimes leaving
    Billy Ray Mitchell - appears to still be committed, but his head coach says he will take a longer look at it now
    Colt Petit - appears to still be committed
    Tyrell Smith - appears to still be committed
    Brady Taylor - appears to be heading to Ohio State

Right now 1 appears to be gone (Taylor). Mitchell is probably gone because no recruit "committed" to a program will take a "hard look" when his future position coach leaves for another school. It tells me that Mitchell was more committed to Grimes than VT. Gallo is a wild card since I have not seen any response from him.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieVT View Post
    93?
    Hey, give 1994 some credit, I think they played music videos at least part of that year too.

I believe you missed my point entirely because no where do I talk about hiring a coach from Hoover. What I was suggesting is that he needs to try to find bodies to fill the void left by the de-commits due to Grimes departure. Filling those spots with players, who play other positions, will not help provide depth for the OL next year (unless VT plans to resort back to converting TEs to OL). I figure since Loeffler has connections in AL, then VT might as well use them until he moves onto another program. Based on Andy's article, here is the status of the OL recruits reaction to Grimes departure.

Eric Gallo - has not commented yet on Grimes leaving
    Billy Ray Mitchell - appears to still be committed, but his head coach says he will take a longer look at it now
    Colt Petit - appears to still be committed
    Tyrell Smith - appears to still be committed
    Brady Taylor - appears to be heading to Ohio State

Right now 1 appears to be gone (Taylor). Mitchell is probably gone because no recruit "committed" to a program will take a "hard look" when his future position coach leaves for another school. It tells me that Mitchell was more committed to Grimes than VT. Gallo is a wild card since I have not seen any response from him.
    yeah i read that wrong. id still say he knows what hes doing based on what ive read about his efforts after grimes' departure. hes trying hard to keep the guys commitments. still dont know why youd single out one school. get the best guys available, not all the guys from one high school.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    My father went to VT. My uncle went to VT. My brother-in-law went to VT. I went to VT. My son went to VT. I saw my first VT game in 1962. Can you top that? First time in my life anybody's ever called me a Hoo.

FWIW, Hokies GA Ryan Pugh went to Hoover. I think his senior season was the second year of Two-A-Days, although he wasn't prominently featured or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by typed by ben View Post
    yeah i read that wrong. id still say he knows what hes doing based on what ive read about his efforts after grimes' departure. hes trying hard to keep the guys commitments. still dont know why youd single out one school. get the best guys available, not all the guys from one high school.
    I am not suggesting that isn't important to make sure the commitments don't change their minds before Signing Day. However, you don't think other coaching staffs are trying to lure commitments away from VT? If the coaching staff is so busy trying to keep the recruits and VT still loses them, then VT could end up missing out on some recruits that have not committed to another school yet or even better lure a recruit away from another school.

There are certain high schools that have built up a reputation. Some of them include Mater Dei (CA), De La Salle (CA), Hoover (AL), Miami Central (FL), and Booker T. Washington (FL). The reason I singled out Hoover is for a couple of reasons. First, football in the deep south is a religion (even at the high school level). So a large percentage of recruits from the top high schools are college ready (at least from a 2 depth chart standpoint). Second, the road to the ACC championship will go through either Clemson, Florida St, or Miami. If VT wants to run a ball control offense, then it needs an OL that can control the defenders on those teams. Third, the road to the national championship or high profile bowl game will go through the SEC. If VT wants to ever defeat those teams, then it must control the line of scrimmage. Given that the SEC primarily recruits from Gulf Coast states (FL-TX), then it is logical to recruit players who have spent the last 4 years playing against these players. Right? Fourth, it would expand VT's recruiting footprint by 1 state. Fifth, VT wants to run a zone blocking scheme which means the OL needs to have strength and quick feet. High school football in the deep south is played at a different speed (very close to SEC speed), which means VT has a better chance finding that type of OL down south. I am not saying VT can't find that type of athlete in the '757', up north, or in OH. All I am saying is that the pool is larger down south. Sixth, if you start with the best the schools, then it will open up the door to all their opponents especially when reviewing game film. You never know when the coaching staff might see a potential recruit on the opposing team that peaks their interest.

stacy searels from texas trending. supposedly there will be an announcement this morning or early afternoon.

Soory, 2000, I was just making a too-subtle wordplay...."Hoover sucks" as in the.....

...vacuum cleaner & Herbert Hoover being POTUS at the Great Depression's onset in 1929. Guess I'm showing my uh, 'mileage'.

Well I wasn't exactly a big fan of the TV show because MTV tried to make it more like its other "reality" TV shows it had going at the time (meaning less about the football and more about teenage drama). I probably wouldn't mind if ESPN had done it because it would have been more about the football and how some high school programs are just as big (if not bigger) than a college program (probably DIII). Hoover (enrollment around 1800) won the 6A Alabama state title again this year for the 10th time (other years were 1977, 1982, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, and 2012). Hoover went 15-0 and outscored their opponents 529-133 (averages 35.3 to 8.9).

Now I realize it is just high school football, but when you defeat the 2nd Place team (Bessemer City) 48-7 then you know you have quite a few talented players on the roster. Not every player ends up at a SEC school because quite a few end up at Conference USA or Sun Belt schools. If VT is in that group of schools that is close to becoming an elite school (like many of us believe), then I would think Scot should be able to convince most recruits to come to VT instead of South Alabama or Southern Miss. It is a good way to establish a pipeline with the school that potentially could lead to signing the more talented players, who end up at SEC schools.
    "Be kinder to others than you feel like being & more forgiving than they deserve, because every person you see is fighting their own private secret war" -Some Dude