Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 48zip View Post
    His coach also said a kid should not commit to a coach, as they move around. They should commit to a school. Based on your comment about a "strong possibility VT will lose 2 ..." you sound like Mitchell will leave. I'm not sure why.
    You are correct that a recruit should not commit to a coach. I got the impression from Andy's article that Mitchell may be more committed to Grimes than VT. Why else would a recruit decide to take a "hard look at his commitment" when the coach that recruited him decides to accept a job some place else?

I figured some rumors would be popping up by now.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    You are correct that a recruit should not commit to a coach. I got the impression from Andy's article that Mitchell may be more committed to Grimes than VT. Why else would a recruit decide to take a "hard look at his commitment" when the coach that recruited him decides to accept a job some place else?
    Good story (or bad depending on your outlook) about committing to a coach is LaFonte Thouroughgood. He committed to VT but changed on LOI day to Vanderbilt because his hi school coach was hired at Vanderbilt. The coach said he would get a chance at QB at Vanderbilt but VT was moving him to another position. He follows the coach, from day one at Vanderbilt he's playing TB not QB, the coach leaves for another job after one year, T-good transfers to JMU where he's still not playing QB, he's playing DB (I think).

These players who don't listen to coaches, who are older, wiser, more experienced in football and life, are gambling with what should be one of the best times of their lives. If a guy with the experiences and production of Beamer, Saban, etc, tells a player something about life in the world of college football - that player should take it seriously.

If I was Loeffler and I see where 2-3 OL appear to be de-committing, then I would be on the first plane to Hoover, AL to see if I can snag any OL from that program.
    Okay, I'll bite. Hoover, AL?
    No trees were harmed in the making of this post. However, billions of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post
    In that case, I wouldn't put too much thought into getting him. Unlikely it happens.

At this point, I'm expecting VT to do what VT always does and promote from within. Bryan Stinespring will be our next OL coach.
    Putting Stiney in charge of OL would be a huge step backward and signal end of Beamer era.

Quote Originally Posted by BAMAHOKIE View Post
    Putting Stiney in charge of OL would be a huge step backward and signal end of Beamer era.
    Yes, but I'm also expecting this to happen. Frank will go with what is comfortable for him.

Quote Originally Posted by BAMAHOKIE View Post
    if i was a recruit and stinespring was tabbed to be my new coach, i'd be gone in a heartbeat. the fact that he had some marginal success in the 90's wouldn't resonate with me. Grimes recently being at auburn during the NC season would mean something to me.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyburg Hokie View Post
    Okay, I'll bite. Hoover, AL?
    Hoover High School is located in Hoover, AL. Hoover High has built a reputation of being one the best football programs in the nation. Similar to what De La Salle (in CA) has built on the west coast. The program was so well known that in 2005 MTV decided to create a TV show, Two-A-Days, that chronicled the lives of teens, who either played on the team or were associated with the team. So when colleges are looking to recruit the best players from the state, they tend to start with Hoover High first.

Hoover High School is located in Hoover, AL. Hoover High has built a reputation of being one the best football programs in the nation. Similar to what De La Salle (in CA) has built on the west coast. The program was so well known that in 2005 MTV decided to create a TV show, Two-A-Days, that chronicled the lives of teens, who either played on the team or were associated with the team. So when colleges are looking to recruit the best players from the state, they tend to start with Hoover High first.

Anyone remember when MTV played music?

Quote Originally Posted by Tombo View Post
    Anyone remember when MTV played music?
    93?