Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 74
  1. #41

    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Posts
    7,479
    Quote Originally Posted by JoesterVT View Post
    Easy button time, and should work out pretty well...
    Was there a line of OL coaches waiting outside Loeffler's office this AM??

  2. #42

    Join Date
    October 21, 2005
    Posts
    22,994
    Quote Originally Posted by BAMAHOKIE View Post
    Was there a line of OL coaches waiting outside Loeffler's office this AM??
    I would imagine Loeffler is offering advice, but he isn't doing the hiring...lol...

  3. #43
    Senior Member vthokiedsp's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 07, 2012
    Location
    St Pete
    Posts
    1,104
    Quote Originally Posted by JoesterVT View Post
    Not sure going from an NFL ASSISTANT OL coach to being a college OL coach is necessarily a step down, financially or status wise, or any other way you look at it. Coaches seem to move between the leagues pretty seamlessly, and there are tons of guys coaching in college that spent times coaching in the pros.
    and that's your opinion. and mine is that we'll just disagree on this because there is no way to prove the equivalency between coaching positions in college and the NFL. i'll say this though, even if assistant OL coach in the NFL and OL coach in college would be considered parallel positions, the NFL is the pinnacle of the sport for players and coaches. there is an inherent quality/professional difference between the two. analogy time, it's like leaving a chef position at ruths chris to manage the kitchen at outback. especially when the outback is in christiansburg.

    like i said, unless he sees the college ranks as the fastest way to get to his coaching dream position or he sees his ceiling much lower in the nfl, i just can't see how it's a good move for him.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by JoesterVT View Post
    I would imagine Loeffler is offering advice, but he isn't doing the hiring...lol...
    If I was Loeffler and I see where 2-3 OL appear to be de-committing, then I would be on the first plane to Hoover, AL to see if I can snag any OL from that program.

  5. #45
    Senior Member Mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 13, 2012
    Posts
    1,186

    If the price is right he might come

    [first guy goes where the best financial package is provided

    Vt needs to offer competitive salary and just don't offer love of vt for chump change ..

    I don't want any good ole friend of frank or billy bob or graduate asst. I won't proven young agressive bcs level line coach .. Nfl experience fine


    QUOTE=VTHokie2000;897753]If I was Loeffler and I see where 2-3 OL appear to be de-committing, then I would be on the first plane to Hoover, AL to see if I can snag any OL from that program.[/QUOTE]

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    [first guy goes where the best financial package is provided

    Vt needs to offer competitive salary and just don't offer love of vt for chump change ..

    I don't want any good ole friend of frank or billy bob or graduate asst. I won't proven young agressive bcs level line coach .. Nfl experience fine


    QUOTE=VTHokie2000;897753]If I was Loeffler and I see where 2-3 OL appear to be de-committing, then I would be on the first plane to Hoover, AL to see if I can snag any OL from that program.
    I was not suggesting he hire a coach from Hoover. What I was suggesting is that he needs to try to find bodies to fill the void left by the de-commits due to Grimes departure. Filling those spots with players, who play other positions, will not help provide depth for the OL next year (unless VT plans to resort back to converting TEs to OL). I figure since Loeffler has connections in AL, then VT might as well use them until he moves onto another program.

  7. #47

    Join Date
    September 24, 2008
    Location
    Chesapeake,Virginia
    Posts
    1,391
    Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    I was not suggesting he hire a coach from Hoover. What I was suggesting is that he needs to try to find bodies to fill the void left by the de-commits due to Grimes departure. Filling those spots with players, who play other positions, will not help provide depth for the OL next year (unless VT plans to resort back to converting TEs to OL). I figure since Loeffler has connections in AL, then VT might as well use them until he moves onto another program.
    So far,it seems like the recruits are still on board.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Maxx View Post
    So far,it seems like the recruits are still on board.
    Eric Gallo - has not commented yet on Grimes leaving
    Billy Ray Mitchell - appears to still be committed, but his head coach says he will take a longer look at it now
    Colt Petit - appears to still be committed
    Tyrell Smith - appears to still be committed
    Brady Taylor - appears to be heading to Ohio State

    When I hear a recruit say he will take a longer look at his commitment, then that tells me the recruit is 50-50 on honoring it. So there is a strong possibility that VT will lose 2 commitments; maybe 3 (depending on Gallo).

  9. #49

    Join Date
    October 31, 2004
    Location
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Posts
    1,873
    Quote Originally Posted by JoesterVT View Post
    Easy button time, and should work out pretty well...
    Yeah, that would be great. However, there often is a difference between what we want and what we get. I could be wrong but I don't think he comes here even if he is/was a Hokie.

  10. #50

    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Location
    Chesterfield,VA
    Posts
    44,246
    Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    Eric Gallo - has not commented yet on Grimes leaving
    Billy Ray Mitchell - appears to still be committed, but his head coach says he will take a longer look at it now
    Colt Petit - appears to still be committed
    Tyrell Smith - appears to still be committed
    Brady Taylor - appears to be heading to Ohio State

    When I hear a recruit say he will take a longer look at his commitment, then that tells me the recruit is 50-50 on honoring it. So there is a strong possibility that VT will lose 2 commitments; maybe 3 (depending on Gallo).
    His coach also said a kid should not commit to a coach, as they move around. They should commit to a school. Based on your comment about a "strong possibility VT will lose 2 ..." you sound like Mitchell will leave. I'm not sure why.
    I will never understand people.
    They're the worst!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •