Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Senior Member NCHokie83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 02, 2012
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,857

    FSU's DC Pruitt hired to same position at UGa

    Salary bump from $500k to $850k.

    If the school that brings in the most $$ in this conference cannot afford to hold onto their coaches after a National Championship year, what chance in hell does anyone else in this conference have if and when the SEC comes calling?

    At this point, might as well kiss Grimes goodbye. And if Loeffler ever makes things start to work again, he'll be gone as well. Not to better jobs, no, just to the same job at an SEC school.
    "I love it when you guys try to write off a Frank Beamer team -- no one is going to win this conference without Virginia Tech having some sort of say in it." - David Cutcliffe

  2. #2

    Join Date
    January 01, 2005
    Location
    Blacksburg
    Posts
    4,404
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post
    Salary bump from $500k to $850k.

    If the school that brings in the most $$ in this conference cannot afford to hold onto their coaches after a National Championship year, what chance in hell does anyone else in this conference have if and when the SEC comes calling?

    At this point, might as well kiss Grimes goodbye. And if Loeffler ever makes things start to work again, he'll be gone as well. Not to better jobs, no, just to the same job at an SEC school.
    so why do we try at all? might as well kill the program - it's hopeless.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    October 21, 2005
    Posts
    22,994
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post
    Salary bump from $500k to $850k.

    If the school that brings in the most $$ in this conference cannot afford to hold onto their coaches after a National Championship year, what chance in hell does anyone else in this conference have if and when the SEC comes calling?

    At this point, might as well kiss Grimes goodbye. And if Loeffler ever makes things start to work again, he'll be gone as well. Not to better jobs, no, just to the same job at an SEC school.
    And yet, when Richt, or Spurrier came for Bud he stayed put, so.....

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by JoesterVT View Post
    And yet, when Richt, or Spurrier came for Bud he stayed put, so.....
    I am not sure we can assume (one way or another) that Grimes is in the same place (professionally speaking) as Foster was when he rejected Richt's and Spurrier's offers. Likewise, I don't believe an increase in a coach's salary will be the only deciding factor for Grimes. I believe deciding factors will come down to the opportunity to be in a coaching position with a program that has the expectations (and stresses) of competing for a national championship and the opportunity to work with more talented recruits. If that is what he is looking for professionally, then it will be difficult for VT to match that (even if they could match any salary offer). Yes, the increase in salary is a nice "bonus," but some people have a plan for their career and will stick with that plan. Likewise, if he is looking for a "challenge" (professionally speaking) and believes VT offers him a real challenge, then that is something LSU will have difficulty matching even if they can offer more money.

  5. #5
    OldCorps's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 05, 2001
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,781
    Why is it I don't feel good after reading your comments ? :--)

    Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    I am not sure we can assume (one way or another) that Grimes is in the same place (professionally speaking) as Foster was when he rejected Richt's and Spurrier's offers. Likewise, I don't believe an increase in a coach's salary will be the only deciding factor for Grimes. I believe deciding factors will come down to the opportunity to be in a coaching position with a program that has the expectations (and stresses) of competing for a national championship and the opportunity to work with more talented recruits. If that is what he is looking for professionally, then it will be difficult for VT to match that (even if they could match any salary offer). Yes, the increase in salary is a nice "bonus," but some people have a plan for their career and will stick with that plan. Likewise, if he is looking for a "challenge" (professionally speaking) and believes VT offers him a real challenge, then that is something LSU will have difficulty matching even if they can offer more money.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by OldCorps View Post
    Why is it I don't feel good after reading your comments ? :--)
    When a program (and its fan base) take a look in the mirror, then it may not like the reality it sees. It is especially true once a program obtains a certain status and starts to compare itself with its peers because often times it comes down to splitting hairs when determining the final grade.

    Don't get me wrong I hope that Grimes decides to stay because I think he would be good for the program. However, he is still young and it isn't unreasonable to think he is not ambitious. Now his goal may not be to eventually become a head coach, but I don't believe it is to remain as the OL coach at VT until he decides to retire. He may decide to follow a similar path as Kevin Rogers and give the NFL a shot. Most coaches are competitive (some even ultra competitive) which typically means they want to face the best. If you believe that the SEC is the best collegiate football conference right now, then the reality is that Grimes has had a taste of it. Once a person has had a taste of something, then it isn't unreasonable to assume that they wouldn't want another "taste" of it. It is like a "itch" that is begging to be scratched. Some will scratch it and others will learn to either ignore it or suppress it until it eventually fades away. I don't know Grimes personally, so I can't say what thoughts are running through his head. However, if I was in his shoes then I would be asking myself if my "failure" at Auburn was a fluke or not. I use the term "failure" loosely given how things ended at Auburn. The competitive part of me is saying/yelling I have something to prove; to myself, to Auburn for making a "mistake," to the rest of the coaching world. At the age of 44, I also have to realize my window of opportunity to move up the coaching ladder may be starting to get smaller and smaller each year. Eventually there will come a time when no football Power 5 school will consider me for a coordinator position because I am deemed "too old." I probably could get a position with either a non-Power 5, FCS, DII, or DIII school; assuming my pride doesn't get in the way and it is what I truly want.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    January 01, 2005
    Location
    Blacksburg
    Posts
    4,404
    Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    When a program (and its fan base) take a look in the mirror, then it may not like the reality it sees. It is especially true once a program obtains a certain status and starts to compare itself with its peers because often times it comes down to splitting hairs when determining the final grade.

    Don't get me wrong I hope that Grimes decides to stay because I think he would be good for the program. However, he is still young and it isn't unreasonable to think he is not ambitious. Now his goal may not be to eventually become a head coach, but I don't believe it is to remain as the OL coach at VT until he decides to retire. He may decide to follow a similar path as Kevin Rogers and give the NFL a shot. Most coaches are competitive (some even ultra competitive) which typically means they want to face the best. If you believe that the SEC is the best collegiate football conference right now, then the reality is that Grimes has had a taste of it. Once a person has had a taste of something, then it isn't unreasonable to assume that they wouldn't want another "taste" of it. It is like a "itch" that is begging to be scratched. Some will scratch it and others will learn to either ignore it or suppress it until it eventually fades away. I don't know Grimes personally, so I can't say what thoughts are running through his head. However, if I was in his shoes then I would be asking myself if my "failure" at Auburn was a fluke or not. I use the term "failure" loosely given how things ended at Auburn. The competitive part of me is saying/yelling I have something to prove; to myself, to Auburn for making a "mistake," to the rest of the coaching world. At the age of 44, I also have to realize my window of opportunity to move up the coaching ladder may be starting to get smaller and smaller each year. Eventually there will come a time when no football Power 5 school will consider me for a coordinator position because I am deemed "too old." I probably could get a position with either a non-Power 5, FCS, DII, or DIII school; assuming my pride doesn't get in the way and it is what I truly want.
    The SEC and the NFL are not as great as you say and VT and Blacksburg are not as bad in comparison to them.
    You make it sound as if a football coach can't be ambitious AND prove that he's a good coach AND be at the top of his profession AND live in Blacksburg at the same time.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    The SEC and the NFL are not as great as you say and VT and Blacksburg are not as bad in comparison to them.
    You make it sound as if a football coach can't be ambitious AND prove that he's a good coach AND be at the top of his profession AND live in Blacksburg at the same time.
    What I am addressing is the "perception" that currently exists in football. Right now the SEC is perceived to be the best conference for working with the most talented players (aka having the greatest potential to play in the NFL someday). It doesn't mean this will always be the case. However, if he wants to coach the best players and compete against the best, then odds are good that he will look towards the SEC for potential job opportunities.

    Likewise, the NFL (or any pro league) is perceived the be pennicle in the coaching profession. Very rarely do you see a successful pro league coach decide to accept a lateral coaching position at the collegiate level. However, it isn't uncommon to see a successful collegiate coach decide to accept a lateral position with a pro team. Now I am not suggesting that coaching in a professional league is "right" for everyone because some coaches are very happy coaching at the college or high school level.

    Right now the national perception of VT's football program is mixed. On one hand it is a program with a lot of potential given how the program burst on the national scene. On the other hand, it is perceived to be content with just showing up at the party (aka the big game) and lacks the drive "to go home with the Prom Queen" (reference to a line Sean Connory made in The Rock). Some people might even start to wonder if VT was just a flash in the pan and its 15 minutes of fame is now over. I have had multiple conversations with fans of teams from other conferences (Power 5, non-Power 5, FCS, and DIII). Whenever we discuss VT football at some point during the conversation they will compare the program to 1990s Buffalo Bills. Why is that? Yes, it is impressive that the Bills made it to 4 straight Super Bowls. However, they will forever be remembered for never closing the deal when it mattered the most (the big game).

    I am not saying that future perceptions can't change because they can since they are very fluid. However, it doesn't mean that the current perceptoins should be ignored. If anything they should be embraced and used as a motivation especially if an entity doesn't like/agree with how it is being perceived. Ultimately the entity is the only one with power to change things. If VT wants to earn national respect, then it will have to earn it on the grid iron. That means sweeping these upcoming marquee OOC series or at least playing them close (no more 48-7 scores), winning/playing close the marquee ACC games, and winning/playing close bowl games against Power 5 schools (no more Orange Bowl (against Stanford) or Sun Bowl results). When VT football looks in the mirror, then what does it see?

  9. #9

    Join Date
    October 07, 1999
    Posts
    7,479
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post
    Salary bump from $500k to $850k.

    If the school that brings in the most $$ in this conference cannot afford to hold onto their coaches after a National Championship year, what chance in hell does anyone else in this conference have if and when the SEC comes calling?

    At this point, might as well kiss Grimes goodbye. And if Loeffler ever makes things start to work again, he'll be gone as well. Not to better jobs, no, just to the same job at an SEC school.
    There may be more to this story than just money...Did Jimbo and Pruitt get along?? Did Pruitt have some issues with FSU staff/administration??
    Did Pruitt have a past relationship with Georgia or their coaches.
    Money talks but other things are important to enjoy your work.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 17, 2004
    Posts
    5,346
    Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    I am not sure we can assume (one way or another) that Grimes is in the same place (professionally speaking) as Foster was when he rejected Richt's and Spurrier's offers. Likewise, I don't believe an increase in a coach's salary will be the only deciding factor for Grimes. I believe deciding factors will come down to the opportunity to be in a coaching position with a program that has the expectations (and stresses) of competing for a national championship and the opportunity to work with more talented recruits. If that is what he is looking for professionally, then it will be difficult for VT to match that (even if they could match any salary offer). Yes, the increase in salary is a nice "bonus," but some people have a plan for their career and will stick with that plan. Likewise, if he is looking for a "challenge" (professionally speaking) and believes VT offers him a real challenge, then that is something LSU will have difficulty matching even if they can offer more money.
    Bud won't admit but that was a big freaking mistake

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •