Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mancunian View Post
    "each contacted a Big 10 university" from the article. My guess is these guys were chatting with Penn State, tossing the Nits chocolates and nylons.
    Penn State and Indiana were rumored back in the late fall of 2012. There were about 25% or so of the Penn State supporters who never liked being in the Big 10 and wanted back in an eastern athletics conference. They felt with the end of the Joe Paterno era and the NCAA sanctions due to the Sandusky scandal that it was a good time for a conference change. Having regional rivals Syracuse and Pittsburgh also made the ACC more attractive. They also felt like they never truly fit culturally in the Big 10 even after 2 decades of membership. Maryland felt the same way about the ACC after 50 years as a member. Some rumors mentioned Indiana because they, like most ACC schools, were a basketball-first school. They also would be a close neighbor to newly added Notre Dame.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFishingHokie View Post
    Have the taxpayers of Maryland pay legal fees while the ACC has to pay out of it's revenues.

s
    yep.
    Cast off the shoes and follow the gourd!

Funny, they haven't received a cent from the ACC. SInce their formal departure, the ACC has refused to send one bit of revenue sharing money to them. THerefore they got nothing for the bowl, nothing from TV, nothgin for expenses for travel to acc events. They just get an empty envelope. THis loss of revenue has really hurt them. My guess for the law suite is IT IS REALLY HURTING NOW.

Tough
    Quote Originally Posted by goldendomer View Post
    Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt 5m
    Maryland files a $157 million counterclaim vs. ACC. Alleges Wake Forest/Pittsburgh officials tried to recruit unnamed B1G schools to leave.

Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt 3m
    This counterclaim was filed in North Carolina, because the Maryland issues have been stayed until the N.C. court resolves matters there.

Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt 3m
    Alleges that b/c of "counsel and direction...received from ESPN," the ACC has tried to lure other schools "to extract more lucrative terms."

Quote Originally Posted by 133304Hokie View Post
    Okay, well let's think about this. Maryland's counterclaim is based on the legal theory that the ACC is liable because it tried to get B1G schools to leave the B1G and join the ACC, which was apparently unsuccessful, so there are no real damages there. Yet the B1G did manage to get Maryland to leave the ACC for the B1G, so I can only assume that the ACC will now sue the B1G and bring them into this lawsuit with Maryland based on Maryland's very own legal theory. That sounds like a very dumb move on the part of Maryland's attorneys. After all, how can Maryland's attorneys successfully argue against their own legal theory? Even if they manage to win that argument, they would make the B1G lose it. Either way, they lose.
    This could likely be a purely defensive move. MD's suit in their home state will not see the light of day until the current litagation is settled. If the ACC plans to introduce charges against the B1G for tortious interference with the conference during the current action, this will put them on-notice that they will face the same, later. MD will withdraw this suit, if it isn't rejected by the court. It's just a warning shot at the ACC. (Pure non-lawyer guessing)

Heard some stuff about PSU. Indiana? that's interesting.

I think the Maryland not being a cultural fit in the ACC is overblown. Every ACC school has bitched about the Carolina mafia over the years. The terps jumped because they were broke and had new leadership with Big 10 contacts. They'll probably be broke again in 10 years. Real beneficiaries of MD to Big 10 are the scads of Big 10 alumni in the DC area, they all get another home game.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Hokie View Post
    Penn State and Indiana were rumored back in the late fall of 2012. There were about 25% or so of the Penn State supporters who never liked being in the Big 10 and wanted back in an eastern athletics conference. They felt with the end of the Joe Paterno era and the NCAA sanctions due to the Sandusky scandal that it was a good time for a conference change. Having regional rivals Syracuse and Pittsburgh also made the ACC more attractive. They also felt like they never truly fit culturally in the Big 10 even after 2 decades of membership. Maryland felt the same way about the ACC after 50 years as a member. Some rumors mentioned Indiana because they, like most ACC schools, were a basketball-first school. They also would be a close neighbor to newly added Notre Dame.

I think this proves that GoR aren't water-tight. Otherwise why would ESPN "suggest" for the ACC to raid a another conference with GoR.

Lurker
    my impression is that GOR are water-tight, however..........................i read somewhere on the internet (and therefore, it's true, LOL) that the B1G GOR is up for renewal in either 2015 or 2016, which would be a window of opportunity if PSU and/or others did want to move. PSU is the only one that i could see being intrigued by the ACC. i would think our financial package would be pretty competitive with the SEC or B1G with PSU and ND as 15 and 16 and an ACC network. pure speculation on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by goldendomer View Post
    I think this proves that GoR aren't water-tight. Otherwise why would ESPN "suggest" for the ACC to raid a another conference with GoR.

In a series of tubes, filled mostly with cats
    Quote Originally Posted by Go VT View Post
    you said it makes them look petty and desparate. To THEIR fan base, it justifies their actions.
    To the few Maryland fans I know here in Florida, nothing justifies their actions....

Quote Originally Posted by ren_hoek View Post
    my impression is that GOR are water-tight, however..........................i read somewhere on the internet (and therefore, it's true, LOL) that the B1G GOR is up for renewal in either 2015 or 2016, which would be a window of opportunity if PSU and/or others did want to move. PSU is the only one that i could see being intrigued by the ACC. i would think our financial package would be pretty competitive with the SEC or B1G with PSU and ND as 15 and 16 and an ACC network. pure speculation on my part.
    We could only dream about that arrangement. PSU would be my #1 "dream" addition to the ACC. Far more than even Big-TX! But that's like dreaming about winning the lottery...lol
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Quote Originally Posted by mancunian View Post
    Heard some stuff about PSU. Indiana? that's interesting.

I think the Maryland not being a cultural fit in the ACC is overblown. Every ACC school has bitched about the Carolina mafia over the years. The terps jumped because they were broke and had new leadership with Big 10 contacts. They'll probably be broke again in 10 years. Real beneficiaries of MD to Big 10 are the scads of Big 10 alumni in the DC area, they all get another home game.
    Indiana was rumored but so was Northwestern. Wake's AD had connections to Northwestern. He was a baseball coach there. Northwestern is the only private school in the Big 10 and is relatively close to Notre Dame. The Penn State-ACC discussions are likely true. The Indiana and Northwestern talks could just be rumors. I didn't hear any other Big 10 schools rumored besides Purdue on a few occasions. If I were to guess on what other schools were in the mix it would probably be Northwestern (private school in large TV market Chicago) and/or Indiana (basketball school between Notre Dame and Louisville). I'm sure the "other school" will be confirmed if or when the ACC-UMCP case finally comes to court.