Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    well, to be fair, the ACC already stripped FSU of GT (and uva...LOL) rivalry(s). i never understood the trophy game between FSU and uva, anyone care to explain it? does FSU know it exists?

IMO (and i think the popular consensus) of rivalries to be protected:

UNC: uva, NCSU, dook
    NCSU: UNC, Clemson
    Dook: UNC, Wake
    Clemson: GT, NCSU
    Wake: dook
    GT: Clemson, FSU
    FSU: Miami, GT
    Miami: FSU
    uva: VT, UNC
    VT: uva
    Pitt: 'cuse
    'cuse: BC, Pitt
    BC: 'cuse
    L'ville: No one

that's 11 games every year out of 56 that need to be protected. surely that can be done.
    The Florida State–Virginia football rivalry is an American college football rivalry between the Florida State Seminoles football team of Florida State University and Virginia Cavaliers football team of the University of Virginia. The Jefferson–Eppes Trophy is awarded to the winner of the game. The trophy was created in 1995 and was named for former President of the United States and founder of the University of Virginia, Thomas Jefferson, and Jefferson's grandson Francis W. Eppes VII, a two-time mayor of Tallahassee and president of the Board of Trustees of the West Florida Seminary, now Florida State University.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida...otball_rivalry

It most years the 11 games can be protected. However, I sure I can come up with a plausible scenario where a few of those 11 games could be in jeopardy for 1 reason or another.

Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    A Metro rivalry? What in the world is a Metro rivalry? We know what it is but to say a Metro rivalry is going to be renewed is to really stretch the concept and definition of the world "rivalry". To say that is a rivalry is saying the word has no meaning at all.
    The reason I phrased it that way is because I can easily see the media make some sort of refence that those 3 schools were members of the Metro Conference at one time. No difference than how the media will make reference to a renewal of a "Big East rivalry" even though it may not have been a "true" rivalry during the Big East days. From the fans perspective, there could still be some "bad blood" which could give the media fuel to hype up the game. You don't believe there are some Hokie fans that resent "Loserville" (I mean Louisville) and what they did to get VT kicked out the Metro Conference? From the media's perspective, that could be grounds for the Louisville-VT rivalry in the ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    The reason I phrased it that way is because I can easily see the media make some sort of refence that those 3 schools were members of the Metro Conference at one time. No difference than how the media will make reference to a renewal of a "Big East rivalry" even though it may not have been a "true" rivalry during the Big East days. From the fans perspective, there could still be some "bad blood" which could give the media fuel to hype up the game. You don't believe there are some Hokie fans that resent "Loserville" (I mean Louisville) and what they did to get VT kicked out the Metro Conference? From the media's perspective, that could be grounds for the Louisville-VT rivalry in the ACC.
    Just jerking your chain, 2000. You make some good points - they may require the mind of a true historian - but they're still good.

Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    Just jerking your chain, 2000. You make some good points - they may require the mind of a true historian - but they're still good.
    It is all good. Depending on what angle the media takes to promote the game/rivalry, it may not even require a historian's mind. All it might take is the right amount of alcohol consumption and the right proding from the media and bam the rivalry is born. For example there are some Hokies that believe that VT's rivalry with Miami has been around around as long as the rivalry with either UVA or WVU (at least from a deep hatred standpoint). However, it did not come about until the Big East was form as a football conference. Even then the rivalry probably wasn't born until 1995 when VT beat Miami for the first time and became a serious contender for the conference championship.

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    It is all good. Depending on what angle the media takes to promote the game/rivalry, it may not even require a historian's mind. All it might take is the right amount of alcohol consumption and the right proding from the media and bam the rivalry is born. For example there are some Hokies that believe that VT's rivalry with Miami has been around around as long as the rivalry with either UVA or WVU (at least from a deep hatred standpoint). However, it did not come about until the Big East was form as a football conference. Even then the rivalry probably wasn't born until 1995 when VT beat Miami for the first time and became a serious contender for the conference championship.
    I'm on board. All you had to do was mention alcohol consumption and I put up the "SOLD" sign.

Cool Three Pods

Three Pods:

Makes ND Happy Pod: (Freagin Northerners)
    BC, Syracuse, ND, Pitt, GT

Makes UNC Happy Pod: (Tobacco Road)
    UVA, UNC, DUKE, NCSU, WF

Makes Football Happy Pod: (Southern Pride)
    VT, Louisville, Miami, Clemson, FSU

Then everyone plays two from each of the other pods...and those opponents rotate yearly.

Best two teams play for the ACC CG

Quote Originally Posted by 134024Hokie View Post
    Three Pods:

UVA, UNC, DUKE, NCSU, WF

Then everyone plays two from each of the other pods...and those opponents rotate yearly.

I would be on board with that grouping!
    "You start a conversation you can't even finish it
    You're talkin' a lot, but you're not sayin' anything
    When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed
    Say something once, why say it again?"
    - David Byrne

Three Pods:

UVA, UNC, DUKE, NCSU, WF

I see two potential problems with this format. First, I see rivalries that would be disrupted (Clemson-GT, Clemson-NC State, and UVA-VT). Would those schools go along with waiting 2 or 3 years before playing the return game in the home-home rotation? Would their fans go along with the plan? Second, it could lead to problems with developing a tiebreaker to determine which 2 teams should go. For example, I could easily see a scenario where 3 teams could end up 5-3 or 6-2, not play each other (both teams) during the regular season, and not have a common opponent for all 3 teams. Which 2 go to the CCG? I don't believe the ACC could use head-to-head if a team only played 1 of the 2 teams because the results would look like this:

Team A 1-0
    Team B 0-0
    Team C 0-1

Under this scenario the CCG would be Team A vs. Team B because Team C has 1 more loss than Team A or Team B. Should Team B even benefit from not playing Team A or Team C during the regular season? Under the current format it is a moot issue because divisions play a round robin schedule so a conference never has to deal with comparing multiple teams based on an uneven number of games.
    Last edited by VTHokie2000; Thu Jan 16 2014 at 03:28 PM.

Three Pods:

UVA, UNC, DUKE, NCSU, WF

Only one problem, ND will never go for it. I will say the champion will come from the Southern Pride pod over 90% of the time.

Exactly!!!!

and all the football power get SoS boosts for the NCAA playoffs