Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

ACC looking to drastically change how 2 teams get invited to Charlotte

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...acc-title-game

Kind of hard to get my mind wrapped around this one, but I'll try.

• Divisions will remain in place
    • No requirement to play all division opponents in a given year
    • 2 teams with best records in ACC play get invited to Charlotte
    • Winning Division would essentially be a meaningless accomplishment

Had this been in place since Expansion, the ACC Championship Game would have been amended as follows:

2005 - Virginia Tech vs Miami -- Florida State excluded
    2006 - Wake Forest vs Georgia Tech
    2007 - Virginia Tech vs Boston College -- BC gets tiebreaker over UVa based on overall record
    2008 - Virginia Tech vs GT/FSU/BC -- Unsure how 3 way tiebreaker would have worked.
    2009 - Virginia Tech vs Georgia Tech -- VT gets tiebreaker over Clemson based on overall record
    2010 - Virginia Tech vs Florida State
    2011 - Virginia Tech vs Clemson
    2012 - Florida State vs Clemson -- Georgia Tech excluded
    2013 - Florida State vs Clemson -- Duke excluded
    "I love it when you guys try to write off a Frank Beamer team -- no one is going to win this conference without Virginia Tech having some sort of say in it." - David Cutcliffe

Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post

Had this been in place since Expansion, the ACC Championship Game would have been amended as follows:

2007 - Virginia Tech vs Boston College -- BC gets tiebreaker over UVa based on overall record
    2008 - Virginia Tech vs GT/FSU/BC -- Unsure how 3 way tiebreaker would have worked.
    2009 - Virginia Tech vs Georgia Tech -- VT gets tiebreaker over Clemson based on overall record

i know they are toying with change, which is fine, but why in the world would you keep the facade of divisions if they have NOTHING to do with scheduling or making it to the ACCCG? keeping them would be more confusing than dumping them unless there is another element we're missing...
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

If you're not going to determine the 2 teams based on division then just scrap the division concept completely and re-do the schedules so that we rotate through the other schools more then once every 9 years or whatever crazy number it is.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post

The idea is so fraught with problems, I don't see how it could ever be implemented as stated.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieJamie View Post
    If you're not going to determine the 2 teams based on division then just scrap the division concept completely and re-do the schedules so that we rotate through the other schools more then once every 9 years or whatever crazy number it is.
    Don't you have to have two divisions to hold a conference title game? I believe it's an NCAA rule that goes with having to have 12 teams to have a conference title game. That's why they would keep the divisions, but not care who plays who.

I can't find anything searching around for this though.

Yes you do but I thought I had read somewhere that Swofford (and other conferences) want them to get rid of that rule.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosnowahokie View Post
    Don't you have to have two divisions to hold a conference title game? I believe it's an NCAA rule that goes with having to have 12 teams to have a conference title game. That's why they would keep the divisions, but not care who plays who.

I can't find anything searching around for this though.
    yes, but that rule also states that you must play a full round robin within your division and that only division winners can play in the CCG. The ACC is going to petition for more autonomy and essentially an elimination of all of those rules, so the question remains, why have divisions if they won't mean ANYTHING?
    "This no more resembles that than something unlike something else resembles that." - Loosely quoting PHNC

Quote Originally Posted by BUGGZY View Post
    yes, but that rule also states that you must play a full round robin within your division and that only division winners can play in the CCG. The ACC is going to petition for more autonomy and essentially an elimination of all of those rules, so the question remains, why have divisions if they won't mean ANYTHING?
    Maybe the ACC is trying to use the "MAC" loophole to bring about this desired change. If that is the case, then the NCAA has kinda painted itself in a corner.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieJamie View Post
    Yes you do but I thought I had read somewhere that Swofford (and other conferences) want them to get rid of that rule.
    haha. That "somewhere" is the link in the OP.
    I will never understand people.
    They're the worst!

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    Maybe the ACC is trying to use the "MAC" loophole to bring about this desired change. If that is the case, then the NCAA has kinda painted itself in a corner.
    possibly, but even the MAC still only invites the division champs to the CCG...