Bitter blog - 2013 in review: Developing o-line experienced its growing pains

Andy, good article. Have you gotten the sense whether the coaching staff is anticipating on a significant reduction in "growing pains" or could there still be significant growing pains next year too? What I mean is do they expect the returing players to take majority/all of the snaps and allow the incoming class to redshirt or is there a good possibility that we could see true freshmen in the 2-deep rotation.

I'd guess the incoming freshmen will redshirt, just because all of them all sort of projects (not necessarily college ready with their size, which is a big determining factor for early playing time by a true freshman in the trenches). I do think adding Teller, Smith and Conte to the mix will mean that nobody's spot is safe, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bitter View Post
    I'd guess the incoming freshmen will redshirt, just because all of them all sort of projects (not necessarily college ready with their size, which is a big determining factor for early playing time by a true freshman in the trenches). I do think adding Teller, Smith and Conte to the mix will mean that nobody's spot is safe, though.
    I figured given the number of returning OL (I believe 14 players based on VT's most recent official roster), that no position is safe. However, given that some of the returning players are slightly undersize (6'3" or shorter) for a Power 5 program (at least for OG and OT), I thought that might open the door for the incoming freshmen to potentially compete right away.