Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: True or False

Quote Originally Posted by JoesterVT View Post
    Admittedly, I confuse easily...but the text you included in no way makes the original poster's #1 false. In fact, what he wrote there is pretty much exactly what both the NCAA and NFL say clipping is. The rule you quoted says "there will be no clipping"...i.e., clipping is illegal. Carry on...
    Yes, clipping is illegal. But "Blocking a player from behind, below the waist" is not clipping in all cases based on this part of the rule

This does not apply to offensive blocking in close-line play where it is legal to clip above the knee(s), but it is illegal to clip at or below the knee(s). Close-line play is that which occurs in an area extending laterally to the position originally occupied by the offensive tackles and longitudinally three yards on either side of the line of scrimmage.
    So that makes the statement false.
    When replying to a specific post, use Reply With Quote

Quote Originally Posted by avhokie View Post
    Yes, clipping is illegal. But "Blocking a player from behind, below the waist" is not clipping in all cases based on this part of the rule

So that makes the statement false.
    Then #2 would be false as well, as it has similar exceptions. FWIW, that's why I put "depends" on that one...

Quote Originally Posted by JoesterVT View Post
    Then #2 would be false as well, as it has similar exceptions. FWIW, that's why I put "depends" on that one...
    Yeah, it probably is. I didn't look that one up much, should have just left it out of the reply

Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    1 - Blocking a player from behind, below the waist, is clipping and is illegal.

2 - Blocking a player from behind, above the waist, is a "block in the back" and is illegal.

3 - Holding by a player, on offense or defense, is illegal.
    False, False, False. There are exceptions for all these, e.g., for 1 & 2 on the line of scrimmage and for 3 a defender can hold anyone not an eligible receiver.

Next!

Quote Originally Posted by King of Hokies View Post
    False, False, False. There are exceptions for all these, e.g., for 1 & 2 on the line of scrimmage and for 3 a defender can hold anyone not an eligible receiver.

Next!
    I don't think what you say about #3 is true. Though there are still exceptions that make the laphroaig's statement false, such as (I think) when a ball it tipped.

Quote Originally Posted by King of Hokies View Post

Next!
    I've seen defensive guys get called for holding a blocker (keeping him from getting out on another defensive player on a run play), so I don't think your #3 is correct....

Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    1 - Blocking a player from behind, below the waist, is clipping and is illegal.

2 - Blocking a player from behind, above the waist, is a "block in the back" and is illegal.

3 - Holding by a player, on offense or defense, is illegal.
    1. True
    2. Depends
    3. Depends

Quote Originally Posted by HokieJamie View Post
    Can we cut to the chase and you tell us why you're asking these?
    Wasn't trying to be a wise-*ss. I brought this up because it points out how rulebooks are written and to suggest reading them would be a great exercise for those who never have read one. Knowing how to play is very different from knowing the rules.

They all could be answered with "it depends". You can do all those things to a ball carrier and each one is perfectly legal. Hitting any player from behind below the waist is clipping, but it's legal to clip the ball carrier. To block the ball carrier above the waist from behind is a block in the back, but you can block the ball carrier in the back. And you can hold the leg of the ball carrier stopping his forward progress. Rulebooks have to be consistent in their definitions so these actions, whether they are done to the ball carrier or to a non-ball carrier, are all defined by the basic action, then exceptions are listed when done to a ball carrier.

So only a ball carrier can be clipped, blocked in the back, and held.