Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    Hopefully that contingency plan does not involve hiring a certain coach from Emory & Henry.
    He's a head coach now. He's not going to take a step down.

Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    Given that Emory & Henry is a DIII school, it would not be a step down because he would be coaching again at the DI level. It would be different if he was at a DI-non Power 5 school or DI-FCS school because he would be a DI head coach. If he was a DII coach then it would be 50-50 because there are a few DII school that garner the same level of respect as a DI school.

Quote Originally Posted by laphroaig View Post
    and we were teasing. that bridge was burned on his way out of town. thankfully.
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    ryan pugh. too early. he was a player on their team that won the championship in 2011 so he's probably 25 or 26. that would be a pretty big risk.
    I am assuming the contingency plan involves an internal hire. If that is correct, then I would almost rather hire a young coach than take an older coach, who currently coaches a different position. By having enough "young blood" on the staff, then it may make for a smoother transition to the post-Beamer era (especially if the next HC is an internal hire). If Ryan Pugh is not the contingency plan, then it could suggest some potential reshuffling of duties among the current staff. If so, then it could suggest that Stinespring becomes the new OL coach and Shane becomes the new running game coordinator. Both coaches would still retain their current duties and titles too. I am not sure how I like that scenario .

I am assuming the contingency plan involves an internal hire. If that is correct, then I would almost rather hire a young coach than take an older coach, who currently coaches a different position. By having enough "young blood" on the staff, then it may make for a smoother transition to the post-Beamer era (especially if the next HC is an internal hire). If Ryan Pugh is not the contingency plan, then it could suggest some potential reshuffling of duties among the current staff. If so, then it could suggest that Stinespring becomes the new OL coach and Shane becomes the new running game coordinator. Both coaches would still retain their current duties and titles too. I am not sure how I like that scenario .
    If thats the case, don't we already have someone on staff who used to be a OL coach?
    "I love it when you guys try to write off a Frank Beamer team -- no one is going to win this conference without Virginia Tech having some sort of say in it." - David Cutcliffe

Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    and we were teasing. that bridge was burned on his way out of town. thankfully.
    Yes, my OP was a somewhat TIC post given that the bridge was burned. However, stranger things have been known to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHokie83 View Post
    If thats the case, don't we already have someone on staff who used to be a OL coach?
    I don't believe so or at least no name is jumping out at me. The only reason I made that suggestion is because VT seems to prefer to use the TE more as a blocker than as a receiver, so it kinda makes sense to have the OL and TE together since they will be using the same/similar blocking schemes. If VT used the TE as more of a receiver, then I would have suggested moving the TE responsibility to Moorhead since both positions would be primarily focused on their route running. It kinda makes sense for Shane to be the running game coordinator since he works with the RBs and should know what blocking scheme the OL should use to best open up the holes.

I don't believe so or at least no name is jumping out at me. The only reason I made that suggestion is because VT seems to prefer to use the TE more as a blocker than as a receiver, so it kinda makes sense to have the OL and TE together since they will be using the same/similar blocking schemes. If VT used the TE as more of a receiver, then I would have suggested moving the TE responsibility to Moorhead since both positions would be primarily focused on their route running. It kinda makes sense for Shane to be the running game coordinator since he works with the RBs and should know what blocking scheme the OL should use to best open up the holes.
    Bryan Stinespring
    "I love it when you guys try to write off a Frank Beamer team -- no one is going to win this conference without Virginia Tech having some sort of say in it." - David Cutcliffe

Bryan Stinespring
    shivers down my spine...
    It's not that you are ignorant, it's just that you know so much that isn't so.

But I think we can agree...

First of all, the Hokie Club is a joke of a fundraising organization. The single most passive fundraising body I've ever encountered in my life. The problem right now is that a vast majority of the alumni base doesn't even KNOW that our alumni giving pales so bad in comparison to other places. They just don't KNOW that the Athletic Department is run off our alumni contributions. Hell, most of them think when they give to the Alumni Association, that money goes to the Athletic Department. And this goes back at least 5 years to when I was working the phones for the VTAA. The Hokie Club has absolutely failed at cultivating a knowledgeable alumni base when it comes to Athletic funding. That organization is in desperate need of a revamp.
    That 1. the VT athletic department does not have 'more than enough cash' and 2. it does little good to actively discourage donors.

We are far behind the big boys, and we'll probably stay there.