Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 112
  1. #31
    Pylons's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25, 2005
    Posts
    7,003
    Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    When you are talking about the rest of the country, I am not sure being "THE program" in the state will cut it anymore; especially since VA is not considered a football factory state or included in the "best" region (i.e. Gulf Coast Region).
    yes, I am agreeing with that

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    yes, I am agreeing with that
    I am not sure UVA is the best comparison when talking about the "budget" for assistant coaches. If anything it should be the schools that are "perceived" to be ahead of VT. A goal for VT should be to surprise them and that all coaches from across the country should see VT as their final destination instead of a stepping stone to a bigger program.

  3. #33
    Pylons's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25, 2005
    Posts
    7,003
    Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    I am not sure UVA is the best comparison when talking about the "budget" for assistant coaches. If anything it should be the schools that are "perceived" to be ahead of VT. A goal for VT should be to surprise them and that all coaches from across the country should see VT as their final destination instead of a stepping stone to a bigger program.
    I didn't start the comparison to UVa.

    One of the best assistants in the country sure appears to see VT as his final destination.

    I don't want us to be a stepping stone either, but all that's happened at this point is that it's rumored that LSU is talking to Grimes. The last time we looked at all like a stepping stone was pretty long ago, and 2 of those guys went to the NFL (based on the TSL article posted this afternoon).

    I'm all for paying good coaches good money, I'm just not sure why we're putting some fire out that has hardly even shown any smoke yet.

  4. #34
    Senior Member vthokiedsp's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 07, 2012
    Location
    St Pete
    Posts
    1,104
    Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie2000 View Post
    When you are talking about the rest of the country, I am not sure being "THE program" in the state will cut it anymore; especially since VA is not considered a football factory state or included in the "best" region (i.e. Gulf Coast Region).
    I made winning THE state comment on the flippant side of things. Maybe I didn't do a good job of making my point. My point is, and this is gonna get me some flack, VT isn't a big time program and I guess that is my frustration. The Hokie Club is unproductive which leads budget issues that lead to the acceptance of limited recruiting and reduced coaching rates and lagging facilities, etc etc. Some of those are being addressed and hopefully others will be with a new AD. Its just seems like a never ending stream of excuses and rationalizations while we get fed the illusion of really striving for national prominence. Like I've said before, the effort isn't on par with the goals. Sorry for the negativity. Living in Tampa, I get blasted by fsu, Miami, usf and gators non stop about vt being a joke. Yes, I said usf. It builds up sometimes and I strip away the rose colored glasses and see things as they are. Which isn't very hokie of me.
    Last edited by vthokiedsp; Mon Jan 13 2014 at 05:57 PM.

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    Like I've said before, the effort isn't on par with the goals.
    Agreed.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    September 02, 2011
    Posts
    69
    Best post I've seen on this thread so far. We can't give huge raise to Grimes and short other assistants who are more proven and more loyal. Yes, I'm talking about Gray here. Heck...at that LSU salary our OL coach would be paid as much as our nationally respected DC. So if we can't do that we have to try and find those who like it here and/or live with some turnover...especially at assistant level. Newsome was here a while....it's not always a bad thing!

    Quote Originally Posted by Femoyer74 View Post
    If any assistant deserves a raise based on performance, it's Gray.
    You can't upset the salary structure of your asst staff by trying to match what they were paying the previous OL coach. What would the others say?
    This is similar to the Yankees (LSU) and Athletics (VT). Our revenue is way below LSU. Unfortunately, we are not going to win any money battles, if that is what it comes down to. No sense in even going down that road.
    If there is an offer, let's just hope we have other things to offer that are more important than money. Whether you think it or not, there are a lot of expectations at that program and grumbling about Miles. The fan base there is close to a NC or bust mentality.

  7. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    November 18, 2012
    Posts
    254
    From an article on nola.com : "LSU has already interviewed former LSU lineman and Wilkerson teammate Rob Sale and Virginia Tech tight ends coach/recruiting coordinator Jeff Grimes, who was offensive line coach at Auburn from 2009-12."

    Don't suppose they read the coaches profiles too closely, do you?

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by vthokiedsp View Post
    I made winning THE state comment on the flippant side of things. Maybe I didn't do a good job of making my point. My point is, and this is gonna get me some flack, VT isn't a big time program and I guess that is my frustration. The Hokie Club is unproductive which leads budget issues that lead to the acceptance of limited recruiting and reduced coaching rates and lagging facilities, etc etc. Some of those are being addressed and hopefully others will be with a new AD. Its just seems like a never ending stream of excuses and rationalizations while we get fed the illusion of really striving for national prominence. Like I've said before, the effort isn't on par with the goals. Sorry for the negativity. Living in Tampa, I get blasted by fsu, Miami, usf and gators non stop about vt being a joke. Yes, I said usf. It builds up sometimes and I strip away the rose colored glasses and see things as they are. Which isn't very hokie of me.
    Well I am sure there are some out there who believe you are not a "true Hokie" because you do not see VT as an elite program. Then again they are the ones that probably believe no assistant should ever want to leave VT to coach at another collegiate school unless he is being offered a head coaching job. I do not disagree with your assessment because I see VT as being no different than a Kansas St, which will be interesting to see how the new administration plans to take VT to the next level (if that is his/her goal). I am dredding the day when the new AD has to figure out what he wants to do with Cassell and Lane Stadium. Even though the ticket demand does not warrant any expansion of Lane, it is very mid-majorish to only worry about the present and make no (architechtural) plans for the future. Sometimes I wonder if it would not be better to just scrap everything (the Hokie Club, Lane Stadium, Cassell, etc) and start from scratch. Even if the new AD has a new direction/plan for VT athletics, I am worried that he/she will just build on top of the old (aka place a new band aid over the problem) instead of truly addressing it in order to give it a fresh start.

  9. #39
    Melbourne Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 01, 2005
    Location
    In a series of tubes, filled mostly with cats
    Posts
    43,158
    Quote Originally Posted by typed by ben View Post
    i dont actually believe that, ill see your andre smith and raise you a kalvin cline and ryan malleck.

    i just said that edgemans point required supposition of all those ideas, which i do not agree with. im glad CBS is working for us.
    I apologize....I didn't get that from your post. I'll give you Cline....not so sure that Malleck isn't a bit of a natural talent though.....hopefully he comes back full from the injury.

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Pylons View Post
    I didn't start the comparison to UVa.

    One of the best assistants in the country sure appears to see VT as his final destination.

    I don't want us to be a stepping stone either, but all that's happened at this point is that it's rumored that LSU is talking to Grimes. The last time we looked at all like a stepping stone was pretty long ago, and 2 of those guys went to the NFL (based on the TSL article posted this afternoon).

    I'm all for paying good coaches good money, I'm just not sure why we're putting some fire out that has hardly even shown any smoke yet.
    I was not implying that you started the University of Charlottesville comparison. I was just saying that it probably wasn't the best example to use in this case. Part of the reason Foster has stuck around this long is because of the timing of events. I would be curious to know if he would make the same decisions now as he did back then or if he would have done some things differently (given how the game has changed). I am not suggesting that Foster made any incorrect choices or would change anything. I do believe that Foster and Beamer are cut from the same cloth (in terms of coaching philosophy) and that seemed to be better suited for the 1970s/1980s version of college football, than necessarily today's version of college football.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •